Author Topic: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini  (Read 2856 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:58:13 pm »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

So Nintendo is ceasing production on the NES Mini.

At first glance, this seems like a stupid idea. These things print money.

However, I'm willing to bet (due to how well it sells) that Nintendo is doing this because they are working on an updated version or possibly the SNES Mini. What do you guys think?

Re: Nintendo Ceases Production on the NES Mini
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »
My guess is manufacturing troubles.  Why else was the system completely incapable of keeping up with even a partial bit of demand for months?  They couldn't make enough, so they couldn't sell enough to keep it profitable.  I can't imagine otherwise it having to do with an SNES Mini, I mean both should be on shelves next to each other in the store, not one failing to meet demand and then removed, just so another one can get released that most people also won't be able to get.  I never once saw an NES Classic in store lol

If it's an updated version with different or more games, maybe that'll be fine, as long as they can actually make stock.  It's ridiculous that they couldn't keep up with demand.

rayne315

Re: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »
Nintendo always seems to under estimate demand for everything they make.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
And they're at it again. Bless their hearts.

spac316

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:08:23 pm »
Disappointing news indeed. Oh well, I still have my old NES with most of the games on cart. But that's still messed up that they couldn't deal with the demand and now the greedy, scumbag scalpers will be in full force, artificially shooting the prices up and the desperate idiots will pay them...bullshit.
I doubt this will yield for an SNES mini. If they can't reach the demand for the NES mini, why bother with the SNES? I think they just want to sell more games on the Switch's Virtual Console.

Whatever the case, whats done is done and I'll get over it. If I see one in retail, I may pick it up but it's doubtful at this point.

doafan

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:17 pm »
This is a strange and weird way to finish with something that a lot of people still want to have at their homes, want to believe that the big N still have the resources and the money to continue producing the Nes Mini for a least one more year, dunno how the hell their management team works and how they think but for me this is a stupid idea, but since am not rich maybe I don't think the same way that they think  :o

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 05:40:58 pm »
The only reason I can even fathom they'd make such a seemingly stupid move is because whomever produces these for them is having issues and either production cannot continue or it will become too expensive. Even if the cost of each unit went up by $5 (can't imagine it costs Nintendo more than $30 to make these when all is said and done) they might see this as too big a loss. However, given how insane the popularity is on these, even if they were only making a buck each per unit sold they'd still have a vast revenue stream.

Nintendo has been one of the most infuriating companies to deal with the past few years. Between Amiibos, mysterious shortages of supported consoles, and now this; I wish I knew what kind of incompetence or manipulation they had at their HQ. This move just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »

I think i have lost hope. :(.    It's over.  I can't lie to myself anymore. I sit and i beg for it to no be so.  But i have to splash water on my face,  come to my senses and admit what i have seen.  The beloved family brand that made my entire childhood magical has reduced itself to empty lies, false dreams, pathetic production rates and has become a reseller paradise.   :'(.   They have admitted defeat and they just don't care anymore.   I think this might be them just declaring death and the 1st step in them going 3rd party.   And i know it's depressing to hear but it doesn't seem right.   Any company that was even half serious about dominating a competitive market would have been on the phone with anyone once they seen the NES mini sales and demand.   Or the switch sales and demand.   They would have had 5 million in every country as well as a SNES mini,  a N64 mini, hell... a virtual boy mini!!      They would feast on the booming retro market and claim themselves back into the industry as king.   But it is Scar killing Mufasa.  Nintendo is Mufasa.  Sony is Scar.   Xbox is Simba.    IT'S OVER!!!!!   :(

Do they want me to cry?  Is that what they want.  Do they want me to hang my head at easter dinner in front of my family and cry?   Why Nintendo?   Someone please tell me why?   Why would they ever discontinue something that sold boat loads for them?   Something that was a easy cash cow for them?  One of the most demanded gaming items of not only 2016.  But ALL TIME!!!.  I seen the demand.  My whole feed was talking about it, it trended on twitter.  It was on the trending page on YouTube.  People wanted it!!!  If they made 5 million of them they would have sold every last one and had people angry for more.   Miyamoto would have been laying in a gold bath tub fulled with money and silver coins.  Nintendo would have become scarface of the gaming industry. 

I am so depressed.   Now i will never get one.  :(     I will never pay PS4 prices for a NES emulator.

If they make a SNES mini the production rates will just be the same and it will only annoy people further.  I will never even bother to get hyped about anything they announce again.  Including the Cloud Amiibo.  I know i won't get one.  I was crazy lucky to even get a switch.    :(

Let's just hope they have something special up their sleeve they are directing their resources towards.   Maybe Nintendo VR or a Real Life Pikachu Robot.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:30:50 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

robertoman

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »
Yet another mistake by Nintendo. I really wanted one and hoped that they would update the stock eventually, so much for that. If Nintendo keeps making decisions like this, they'll be a third party developer in no time. I have lost all hope and faith for them, their doom is inevitable at this point. Long live Nintendo

indenton

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 06:54:49 pm »
Aww I can't buy a physical Emulator.  Boo Hoo!  Get a grip folks

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 07:20:39 pm »
^ I'm not worried about getting my hands on one, I have a real NES. It's more about the "Why?", since these things were selling out on store shelves in a matter of minutes. Seems like an odd business choice for Nintendo, doesn't it?

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »

No need to be snarky, it's a fun little device at a cheap price tag.  I've seen both casual gamers, collectors, and people who just remember their childhood finding it to be a nifty thing, though most people weren't able to even have a chance at picking it up.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 08:47:02 pm »
Really disappointed about this. Never even saw one in the wild.

I can only hope that it's because a 2.0 version's coming out. Imagine if they took the current iteration, but made it so the cartridge door would actually open and a person could insert a mini NES cartridge into it that contained several more additional games.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
Nintendo being Nintendo.

Flashback2012

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 02:09:30 am »

No need to be snarky, it's a fun little device at a cheap price tag.  I've seen both casual gamers, collectors, and people who just remember their childhood finding it to be a nifty thing, though most people weren't able to even have a chance at picking it up.

What kamikazekeeg said. I got super lucky and picked one up last week. I was in GS picking up my Persona 5 and I saw the boxes for them behind the counter. I thought they were display boxes at first.  :P They had two and had I known that they would be ceasing production then I would have bought both (one for me and one for my cousin...no flipping!).  :-\

Here I figured that by March/April the scarcity would have worn off and we'd have gotten them in every store. Now though with the recent disappearance of the BotW amiibos it seems pretty apparent that Nintendo is back to its lunatic ways of "hyping" and this ceasing of production comes as little surprise.  :(

Nintendo being Nintendo.

Exactamundo.  ::)