Author Topic: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini  (Read 2857 times)

Re: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 08:02:52 am »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with how easy it was for folks to set it up with all of the NES roms and then some.

Producing enough of these could cut into their ability to sell VC games on Switch.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 01:48:52 pm »
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with how easy it was for folks to set it up with all of the NES roms and then some.

Producing enough of these could cut into their ability to sell VC games on Switch.

Sounds like something Nintendo would do lol.   "This 60 dollar thing is taking away from me selling 5 dollar things digitally that not many people buy anyway.  Let's discontinue the 60 dollar thing" 

Sadly i think that is the exact logic they used.  Nintendo is way too prideful and couldn't come to grips with the fact that all their amazing classics were being ported for free.  Little do they realize emulators have been doing this forever. And people also hack Switch and Wii to play NES.   It's almost unavoidable.  Not everyone was doing it and it costs them almost no money.   People who buy VC games don't emulate or hack because if they did they wouldn't waste money on VC games.   But they killed their core audience just to punish random hackers that don't buy nintendo items anyway.

Plus it's only VC nes games,  their VC capabilities for Wii games, Cube games, SNES games and DS and GB games were still in tact.  Plus not everyone wanted one so they would still sell VC games to switch owners who didnt care for the Mini.   

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »
I figured now that they see the Switch as a success, they realize they're giving away too many e-shop games for too cheap and they'd rather have the new-comers buy those individually on their Switch.

spac316

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 03:01:29 am »
And not surprisingly, the Famicom mini has followed with it's discontinuation.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/04/the_famicom_classic_edition_has_now_also_been_discontinued

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 02:59:12 pm »
I found and find it more weird that the Wii-U is nowhere to be found in the shops as soon as the switch came. Games you can find, but the console's seem to disapear in thin air. And i wanted to buy one  >:(

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 03:05:33 pm »
I found and find it more weird that the Wii-U is nowhere to be found in the shops as soon as the switch came. Games you can find, but the console's seem to disapear in thin air. And i wanted to buy one  >:(

Well that one made sense, they ended production like two months ago because it was a failed console and they are moving on to their new system, which is already looking to outperform it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 06:17:58 pm »

Heard that they actually recalled existing unsold units from store shelves around January to February. I think it was true because in my area, all stores suddenly had none left in stock all around the same time.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 04:40:30 am »

Well that one made sense, they ended production like two months ago because it was a failed console and they are moving on to their new system, which is already looking to outperform it.

Not really normal, because you can still find a brandnew ps3. And their 'brandnew' product the Switch is also nowhere to be found. Nintendo is trying to hype the Switch.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 02:37:18 pm »
Not really normal, because you can still find a brandnew ps3. And their 'brandnew' product the Switch is also nowhere to be found. Nintendo is trying to hype the Switch.

Sure, they are focusing and hyping up the Switch, because the Wii U failed.  You can still find new PS3's around, because it has over 80 million in worldwide sales.

telly

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 02:42:19 pm »

Sure, they are focusing and hyping up the Switch, because the Wii U failed.  You can still find new PS3's around, because it has over 80 million in worldwide sales.

And they're still making PS3s in some markets, though from what I've hear they will stop production soon. Wii U production is all but gone at this point.
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »

And they're still making PS3s in some markets, though from what I've hear they will stop production soon. Wii U production is all but gone at this point.

It's at that point they can probably start looking at dropping the PS3 soon as the PS4 is doing really good.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 08:45:36 am »
There are rumors that Nintendo cut production of the NES Classic so that they can focus production on the SNES Classic, hoping that they can better meet the demand this holiday season.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:28:14 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:14 am »
If there was an SNES Classic, I would be all over that.

With the NES Classic, was it available on amazon or other online retailers?

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:53 am »
If there was an SNES Classic, I would be all over that.

With the NES Classic, was it available on amazon or other online retailers?
Amazon every now and then had it up on Prime Now, and once or twice available on the main site but Prime only.

Best Buy had it a bunch of times, Gamestop had their overpriced bundles, Target and Walmart had it once or twice.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 10:04:42 am »
Now that I've started buying retro games and have a Retron 5, I'd pass on one.