Author Topic: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini  (Read 2857 times)

kashell

Re: Nintendo Ceases Production of the NES Mini
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 10:14:54 am »
If there was an SNES Classic, I would be all over that.

With the NES Classic, was it available on amazon or other online retailers?
Amazon every now and then had it up on Prime Now, and once or twice available on the main site but Prime only.

Best Buy had it a bunch of times, Gamestop had their overpriced bundles, Target and Walmart had it once or twice.

Online?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 10:24:36 am »

Amazon every now and then had it up on Prime Now, and once or twice available on the main site but Prime only.

Best Buy had it a bunch of times, Gamestop had their overpriced bundles, Target and Walmart had it once or twice.

Online?

Yeah.  All those places had them online.  I found two in stores Gamestop and Walmart

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 10:25:26 am »

Online?
Yes, I am referring explicitly to online sales.  I never saw an NES classic in stores, but I heard tales of folks finding a single copy in stores here and there.

Flashback2012

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:13 am »
The only time I saw it in a store was most recently when I got mine. The Gamestop had two units and I should have bought them both. I thought that because I finally saw them in person then it meant that Nintendo has eased up on that artificial scarcity tactic that they're known for but apparently it was the exact opposite case and I was just extremely lucky to have seen those two units.

I still can't fathom this scarcity trick they love to pull and how they think it's a good idea. What's more is I can't understand how there's diehards who defend it in a positive light. If I were an investor and I knew executives were leaving profit on the table, I'd be calling for their heads.  :P

Ah well...sucks for all those who had hoped to get one. I'm skeptical at this point that they'll re-release it or even consider a SNES Mini. I'd LOVE to be wrong but now that the Switch is hot stuff, the allure to be arsewipes is too much for Nintendo to resist.  ::)

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 11:46:27 am »
I'm skeptical at this point that they'll re-release it or even consider a SNES Mini.
According to Eurogamer, they are already working on the SNES mini.

kashell

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 11:56:47 am »
Good to know. I'll try my luck with those places instead of going to the stores.

Wal-Mart... *shudders*

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
Called it. I knew they wouldn't end something that sold so well unless they had plans for something else up their sleeves. Nintendo hasn't stuck around for over a century by being dumb.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »
Called it. I knew they wouldn't end something that sold so well unless they had plans for something else up their sleeves. Nintendo hasn't stuck around for over a century by being dumb.

They were still dumb about the mini, but if shutting down the NES Mini is meant to be done so they can focus on an SNES Mini and guarantee a bigger production, I'm cool with that as I'd much rather have the SNES as there would likely be more games I'd genuinely want to play.

soera

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
Depends on an SNES mini library. I can imagine Mario world and Mario kart would be there. I would hope to see Link to the past, Super metroid, FF IV/VI (II/III), and Chrono Trigger. Someone else on another forum mentioned Earthbound would be on there. That one I wouldnt care either way.

spac316

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:17 pm »
Yeah, great. I hate to be of little faith but it's hard not to be. Nintendo could have made a killing with the NES Mini but discontinued it. Now they want to make an SNES mini...how much would you bet they will screw this up?

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:18 am »
Yeah, great. I hate to be of little faith but it's hard not to be. Nintendo could have made a killing with the NES Mini but discontinued it. Now they want to make an SNES mini...how much would you bet they will screw this up?

It does make sense that they were just planning to do the NES Mini and were overwhelmed by the demand, simply not setup to mass produce the system to meet the numbers needed. Of course we'll see if them shutting down production now for the NES means the SNES Mini has a lot more available.  All I know is that they need to work out the production stuff before the N64 Mini lol