Author Topic: Which do you play more of? Modern games or Retro Games?  (Read 4531 times)

Which do you play more of? Modern games or Retro Games?
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »
Out of your whole collection, which type of gaming would you say occupies more of your play time?

Modern Gaming-  360, PS3, PS4, PS VITA, Xbox One, 3DS, 2ds,  Wii, Wii U,  Switch

Or

Retro gaming-  DS/PSP era and earlier. 

I have found myself playing a lot more modern games lately which kind of makes me feel bad because i really love my retro consoles.  I need to make an effort to play more retro games this year :D    It's just been so much epic gold coming from modern consoles like PS4 and Switch.  Seems like a preorder slip around every corner and i havent had time to sit in front of the Old SNES as much.  :(.       

Which do you find yourself playing more of lately.   Old skool classics or New Skool releases?  :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Which do you play more of? Modern games or Retro Games?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:46:38 pm »
If a game is good, a game is good. I could care less whether it's modern or retro.

azure

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:52:49 pm »
I just play whatever I fancy really, I would say the line is pretty even between the two.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:44 pm »
It is about 50/50 for me. Just depends on what I feel like at the moment.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:37:08 pm »
The sixth generation is my favorite but that is kind of in between modern and retro.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:09:05 pm »
While I do enjoy retro games, I find myself favoring modern games more, simply because I enjoy collecting achievements.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
either is fine

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »
Modern.  I don't go back to retro stuff too often.

ferraroso

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »
Recently, I've been playing much more retro simply due to the fact that I've been buying MUCH more retro...
Nowadays, it is so hard for me to have the guts of paying the equivalent to US$60.00+ in a new game when, for the same amount, I could've been buying awesome classic stuff that are lacking in my collection like Ikaruga, or even Splatterhouse CIB for the PC Engine.

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:42:49 pm »
Retro, as in current gen games that play like old-school favorites. Modern games are too chalk full of "mechanics" and cut-scenes for me, so definitely retro.

brazbit

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:15:05 am »
Retro.

My PS4 has been used once, by my wife, I never liked Sony systems and have never been tempted to bother with it. My Xbox One has pretty much become a media center that can also play the occasional game of Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Missile Command, etc... It did have a good run with Fall Out 4 and a Transformers game, who's title escapes me at the moment, for a time. I never did hook the 360 up again after the last tournament it was used for. Meanwhile the retro systems see regular use.

Racing games were one of the driving forces in getting the latest console, micro-transactions, DLC that should have been in the game from day one, and using the cop out of other players "Ghosts" rather than coming up with a decent AI or fun objectives killed any interest I have in modern racing games.

Between the nickel and diming of micro-transactions/DLC and the numerous pointless achievements (Turned on the game - 50 points) (Didn't set yourself on fire - 250 points) (Spent 16,000 hours clicking on ants while wearing a blue hat - 5 points) in modern games have kind of turned me off on this generation, which is sad since I have been at the front of the line for every generation. other than the 4th (Held a grudge against the SNES displacing the NES so soon).

stealthrush

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:55:51 am »
Retro for the past decade.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:16 am »
I'm well aware the majority of my playing takes place on modern systems.

telly

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:49 am »
I mostly game on modern consoles, I do play some retro games here and there, but I really don't have a lot of retro games to begin with.

Though my definition of what is modern goes a little further back. According to the OP the DS/PSP era goes until at least 2011 and includes the Xbox 360 and PS3 so that definition of modern would only be consoles from this current generation. For me modern is around the time of the PS2, GameCube and Xbox.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:08:20 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

doafan

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
Would love to say Retro but the only console that I have connected to the TV is the 360, the old ones are stored in a closet so when I want to get mi butt kicked really hard I play with them  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy