Author Topic: What is the most recent Retro Console, In Your Opinion?  (Read 2219 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What is the most recent Retro Console, In Your Opinion?
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:59:16 pm »
I was curious on this, because around the interwebz, that is something that is highly debated.

Now, there is no right or wrong in this discussion. I'm not trying to get a definitive answer. Just seeing what everyone's thoughts are here.

Personally, I think the retro cut-off is when retail outlets (that don't sell used) stop carrying the system.

So I'd personally say that PS2, XBox, GameCube, and GBA-SP are the most recent retro consoles. (Yeah, I know, the DS, PSP, and Wiis are getting harder to find in retail outlets. But you can still find them.)

azure

Re: What is the most recent Retro Console, In Your Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:15:50 pm »
I tend to agree that the 6th generation of consoles is the most recent in my eyes. PSP and DS are getting there, but I still don't see the PS3/360/Wii retro like some individuals do.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 05:20:37 pm »
Perhaps it's a side effect of being a 90's kid, but I just can't think of the 6th generation era being retro. Old, yes, but not retro.

I'd personally peg the retro divide a bit earlier with the 5th generation (PS1/N64/Saturn). The way I look at it is that if an average kid graduating high school this year did not grow up with the system (i.e before their time), then it'd have been displaced by an entire generation and thus be retro. So, I'll probably concede the 6th generation to retroness in about 4-5 years.

hexen

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »
I'm with EmporerDragon on 5th generation being the the edge of retro.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »
6th gen (PS2, XBOX, Gamecube, and Dreamcast) and earlier are retro in my book.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:05 pm »
Maybe we need more than just retro & current to describe the console generations

Vintage- Gen 1
Legacy- Gen 2
Retro- 3rd to 5th gen
Modern- 6th gen to 7th
Current - Wii U, Switch, PS4, Xbone

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:31:33 pm »
Maybe we need more than just retro & current to describe the console generations

Vintage- Gen 1
Legacy- Gen 2
Retro- 3rd to 5th gen
Modern- 6th gen to 7th
The Wii U is a dead console. And the Switch is next gen.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:40:20 pm »

Vintage- Gen 1
Legacy- Gen 2
Retro- 3rd to 5th gen
Modern- 6th gen to 7th

So is the Vita and with how I worded it that to would be in current, so what's the point your trying to make?
Also Where do you see current in the list

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:29:58 pm »
I'd say N64, PS1 and Saturn
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »

Vintage- Gen 1
Legacy- Gen 2
Retro- 3rd to 5th gen
Modern- 6th gen to 7th

So is the Vita and with how I worded it that to would be in current, so what's the point your trying to make?
Also Where do you see current in the list
Handheld is a different conversation. Personally I see the 90s era to the start of the 2000s as the end of the retro era. Gaming is far to young a medium and has many overlaps to put into a neat basket. I would break it down into it's purest form and it's aesthetics rather than console based.
The 2D era
Then the 2D HD era
The early 3D era
Then 3D HD era.
And currently we stand at a post modern 3D era until virtual reality goes into it's early stages, and by the end of
our live time maybe HD virtual reality era and by HD I mean real  "HD"which includes brain alteration and the senses.
To the question I think the Dreamcast is last retro system, the last collectable system, and the last console built for gamers, and it's at the tail end of the 90s. It's also the generation to mark change, and new game direction away from the innocence of the previous era of games and more towards major sandbox titles (2001-2003), serious mass commercialization, and stagnation internally within in the industries, and the end of Japanese game dominance.   

If I had to be precise I'd say 15-20 years until it become truly retro depending the games appeal.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:37:17 pm by dreama1 »

shfan

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 08:53:11 pm »
5th generation backwards is retro to me, it would be 6th and back but the PS2 is still used as an entry-level console (here at least), being available with numerous games on shelves in independent game shops and trade-in chains like CEX, Cash Converters and Cash Generator. The Xbox is much less visible and the GC's collectibility has also kept available stock low, regardless it'll be 2020 before I think of the 6th generation as being that old. By that point they should all have drifted in collectible territory (in retail terms), as shelf-space given to PS2 games is now much reduced and on a downward spiral.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:28 pm »
Dreamcast

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 11:25:54 pm »
Here in the the US I would say that the sixth Generation Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gaemcube is the most recent console retro generation.

stealthrush

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 01:51:41 am »
PSP and DS for sure, and PS3 360 Wii are getting there.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 09:35:44 am »
I draw the line in a weird spot.  I don't feel like the PS2 and Xbox are retro gaming.  It's just outdated gaming.
But, for some weird reason, I think of the Dreamcast and GameCube are retro.

I know, it's a weird line to draw, but it's my opinion and that's just that.