Author Topic: Flaky Sellers and the Deals That Got Away  (Read 2494 times)

Re: Flaky Sellers and the Deals That Got Away
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:40 pm »
I've got a story about that:

I once made a Craigslist deal to buy Record of Lodoss War for Dreamcast. I was supposed to meet the guy outside of the manager's office of a hotel where he worked.

So I showed up, he wasn't there. I decided to wait around for a few minutes just in case he was busy or a little late. After about 20 minutes of nothing, I decided to leave. On the way out, I saw a lady standing in front of the hotel. So I slowed down and asked her, "Are you waiting for someone?" To see if she was who I was supposed to meet.

Well, she turns to me and says, "That depends, are you looking for a date." I was like, "Uh, no." And then a minute later it the light in my head went off: She's a freaking hooker! I just propositioned a hooker without realizing it when all I want is a video game, lol.

My wife loved that story when I got back home.
*claps*  Lock the thread.  burningdoom just won all the internet today.

That's gold.

tpugmire

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 04:18:03 pm »
Oh yeah.  My wife tried to get into that crafty etsy crap and made perler bead stuff and had some guy have us make a Nintendo Logo, we told him the price before we made it and he said yes.  Sent him a pic after we made it and he just ignored us.

Too many people want cool custom stuff like that, but they want it for free.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Do you still have it?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 04:37:21 pm »
Oh yeah.  My wife tried to get into that crafty etsy crap and made perler bead stuff and had some guy have us make a Nintendo Logo, we told him the price before we made it and he said yes.  Sent him a pic after we made it and he just ignored us.

Somewhere.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »
I've got a story about that:

I once made a Craigslist deal to buy Record of Lodoss War for Dreamcast. I was supposed to meet the guy outside of the manager's office of a hotel where he worked.

So I showed up, he wasn't there. I decided to wait around for a few minutes just in case he was busy or a little late. After about 20 minutes of nothing, I decided to leave. On the way out, I saw a lady standing in front of the hotel. So I slowed down and asked her, "Are you waiting for someone?" To see if she was who I was supposed to meet.

Well, she turns to me and says, "That depends, are you looking for a date." I was like, "Uh, no." And then a minute later it the light in my head went off: She's a freaking hooker! I just propositioned a hooker without realizing it when all I want is a video game, lol.

My wife loved that story when I got back home.
*claps*  Lock the thread.  burningdoom just won all the internet today.

That's gold.

Exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear about! LOL

tpugmire

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »

Somewhere.

That's awesome.  How much was he supposed to buy it for?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 08:30:20 am »

Somewhere.

That's awesome.  How much was he supposed to buy it for?
I really don't remember.  It was probably $30-40.

rayne315

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 09:50:49 am »

I really don't remember.  It was probably $30-40.

I can think of many a shelf that that would look fantastic on. too bad I can be spending money right now..
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 10:00:43 am »
I think that picture shows the base of a 3D perler bead thing we made.  It's Link holding a Cucco standing in a plot of grass.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 10:05:29 am »
you can use ebay to trade with him. you dont need drive to him

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:52 pm »
It's a little different, but one time I won an eBay auction that included several several boxed SNES games I wanted (Lost Vikings 2 chief among them) and an N64 game. I don't know what had happened, but for some reason no one else bid on the auction, and I got maybe $80 worth of stuff for $10. Well, I waited about a week and a half without the item shipping so I finally contacted the guy. His response was to tell me that his wife had accidentally sold them at a garage sale, only telling me then and sending a refund. I am sooooooooooo sure that's what really happened.

What would you do in that situation?

In most cases the seller will remove the auction before it ends I have seen it happen allot.

I cannot blame them since you will have to put in allot of effort while you almost got paid nothing. Below or way lower than market value is one thing but putting in effort to ship something while your gain is like zero.

Not to mention the ebay and paypal fees. and if that 10 dollar's included shipping  ;D

if it would have been at least 25 - 30 I think you should have been fine auctions are a risk after all. Sellers don't like putting in effort while gaining almost nothing.

There are very few people who would make the effort to sell cheap stuff. There is no reason why one should do that It's a waste of time (unless being done in massive amounts). It's not a fleamarket after all, for such prices people usually donate there stuff to charity shops or the trash can.

I can't however blame you for being dissapointed for missing such a deal.

I would face the music and just take the loss. All the stuff you said is irrelevant to what more or less amounts to breach of a contract. He started the bid at $10, not at $50, not at $80. Regardless of whether or not it was not what was expected, it was a completely dishonest move that I have zero sympathy for.

Fair enough

I have made many great deals over the years, I've also missed many deals over the years some for reasons wich are mentioned. Pretty great and sometimes insane deals.

However personally I have symphathy for people who have excuses when an offer is to low. It's pretty understandable some people need the extra cash or maybe some other personal back story and to be fair some offers are really low.

I'm not going to give them a hard time about it and let them be everyone has their reasons. Just stay friendly and polite and good things might happen in the future.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:42:11 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!