Author Topic: Consoles beyond 6th gen worthless  (Read 2819 times)

retrew

PRO Supporter

Consoles beyond 6th gen worthless
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:59 pm »
I thought that would grab some attention. What I mean by worthless is unless someone is backing up every game update and DLC for every 7th gen console and beyond a lot of the games people buy for nostalgia will be incomplete broken messes. What does everyone else think?

Large helpings of retro Sega and a pinch of SNK

Re: Consoles beyond 6th gen worthless
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:03 am »
Depends on the games, but it could be said that certain games from this gen and last gen, primarily on the Xbox and Playstation side, will struggle in the future without their updates, running poorly from the start or with bad bugs.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
I kinda like the Wii U.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:15:03 am »
There are groups out there that actually do keep games, patches, and DLC archived. However, while the actual servers are up and running, you don't see them too often in public as the companies consider it a form of piracy and will ban the account/console if they detect it.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:00 am »
Honestly, I find it hard to believe that they'll ever take down the shops.  On the other hand, the PSP store is already down, DSi went down earlier this year, and the OG Xbox had DLC and such and that is not available too.

BUT

I'd love to see, before end of support, the various platforms offer ways to access patches and such offline.

But so far, all three of those are easily hacked/modded, I just don't know how readily available DSi content is for modchips.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:21:02 am »
I agree with Ignition a bit. I think we should be getting close to a state where all our data (digital, DLC, patches, etc.) should be transferable. Well, I hope so. Maybe patches will eventually be made available in the future, even if things go against the consumer.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:41 am »
Which ones are in 6th gen? I keep thinking about procs when I hear this term.

Perhaps I can sum things up, but I think that basically any console that is just a low-end computer is worthless as a game machine, and have more value as a media player (DVD/BD/HD-DVD/streaming).

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:32:07 am »
Which ones are in 6th gen? I keep thinking about procs when I hear this term.

Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, & PS2

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:37 am »
Also, the Wii hardly uses patches.  I'm only aware of one game that had a patch (Skyward Sword).

Personally, I hope that both 360 and PS3 will support offline patching.  I believe both systems support similar functionality, so an effort plus making patches available for download through their respective websites.

When Sony shut down the PSP version of the Playstaton Store they still allowed users to download already purchased software and online multiplayer.  They also released a PC tool called Playstation Network Downloader that would allow you to download PSP content to your PSP from the Playstation Store through your PC.

I honestly expect Sony to keep up this practice for any future systems that reach end of support.

Here's hoping that continues.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 02:51:20 pm »
Most patches and updates aren't to fix game-breaking glitches, though (there are exceptions, I know). They're usually small updates or small bug fixes. Most games you can play right out of the box without internet or updates (at least the campaign/story modes).

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 05:35:52 pm »
Most games from the other generation will still be highly playable even after the support for them dies. So saying they will be worthless is a pretty inflammatory statement. The worst thing I can see happening with some games that do not depend on online play is patches not being available that fix game breaking bugs.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »
With consoles, I feel like they are a dying breed. As much as I do love consoles, sadly they are slowly dying off. A lot of things now of days is either going on PC or on Mobile. With how the world is most people are on the go a lot. so things like smartphones, psp's, NDS's and such are more used. While PC's are all over the place and they are used for everything and easy enough to access one. While console you have to buy it and setup it up in your house and make more time for it than the other two. Like some jobs, you can take a break or have lunch and play a game on a computer at work, or your own laptop or smart phone or such. You don't have an easy time to play a console. Of course, you can try to make time to play on a console but when you add in everything else in someone's everyday life it could be a lot harder to make time for a console vs the rest. On top of the price for games and such too. I rather not see console die but I feel like it's heading there.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:38 pm »
I do not see consoles dying off at all.

telly

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:36 am »
I don't play on PC because my PC (for the most part) is for work. I don't put games on my computers because I like to keep work and gaming separate. So I very much prefer console gaming.

I know I have Steam account and Stealth Inc. 2 on my old laptop: I never even booted it up though :P
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 11:45:35 am »
Playing games on a phone sucks. Consoles are so much better.

Yeah, PCs are good for that, too. But a lot of people (me included), don't like gaming on a PC. I personally don't like the keyboard/mouse set-up, I much prefer a controller. And I don't like worrying about compatibility, patches, 3d cards, etc. A console is just pop in and go.