Author Topic: Regarding Performance Release Type  (Read 669 times)

pzeke

Regarding Performance Release Type
« on: May 29, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
I took the initiative of editing all of the Performance accessories that are currently in the database and changed their release type to "unofficial" given those products weren't sponsored, endorsed or approved by the companies they made accessories for.

As stated on the back of many of their products: "This product is not sponsored, endorsed or approved by [NAME OF GAME COMPANY]."

I'm certain there are many other instances of this in the database, but I decided to start with Performance first.

I didn't edit this particular entry because I'm quite unsure of it. I know there is a Performance Battery Pak for the Game Boy, though...

Of note, I also changed the publisher on many of the entries to "InterAct Accessories [Inc.]", which are the ones who developed/published all of the Performance products. And just to note, Performance is the name of the product line, not an actual company/developer/publisher.

Lastly, as soon as I can I will clean up these entries with more info and images.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:00:29 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

aliensstudios

Re: Regarding Performance Release Type
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:57:05 pm »
If you look around enough, you'll find all sorts of items like this. I've tried to edit whole system libraries and such but I always give up unless it's manageable in size (Wii U, Intellivision etc.)
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:16:03 am »
The release type category is designed for games and does not always translate well to non-game items.

Fixed https://vgcollect.com/item/123260

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:44:54 pm »
Let me start with: I'm not the one adding them.

I thought that "official" or "unofficial" meant a real retail release vs. a reproduction or homebrew release.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:09:41 am »
Homebrew has its own option.

Interesting, this isn't mentioned in the style guide at all. Official is a relative term, official to what, the category it is in? Is it an official Nintendo or Sega accessory? Or is it an official Interact accessory or Imagic Software title?

It is easier to understand what is Official and not when you just look at NES or Genesis games, because those have good examples of unofficial game releases (Tengen and Codemasters) but it gets a bit murky when trying to apply those descriptors to other things. I think that it is possible that these terms "official" and "unofficial" are not the terms we should be using then OR it must be decided what those terms mean for each type of thing.