Author Topic: E3 2017!  (Read 13962 times)

Re: E3 2017!
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:50 am »

I really liked Wolfenstein when it came out, felt too short, but it was a great game.  I wouldn't call the "What if the Nazi's won WW2" a cliche.  I mean, I can't think of a single game that does exactly that other than Wolfenstein, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I can't think of any games either, but there are novels and several TV shows that are either based on this premise or have at least touched on it in an episode or two. The two that come to mind are some show that I believe was on Netflix (can't remember the name) and an episode in the original Star Trek series was about this. My point is that it is far from being an original idea. I guess calling it a cliche was a little harsh and not entirely fair.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:16:38 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 11:14:34 am »
I would 100% disagree with everything you said as that isn't the game I saw or most people saw really, but I can see we would be on two vastly different ends of the spectrum, so not really worth discussing lol Can't make you like something anymore than I would for another game I don't like.

As for Doom, Doom is fine, it's just a basic shooter.  Nothing really new added, nothing really interesting done with the game, it was a pretty bog standard shooter as far as they go today, just all put together in a very slick, modern, package.  I think it just comes down to me wanting a little more out of my experience than just mindlessly fighting enemy waves.  It's why I don't get into horde modes in games or play stuff like Killing Floor.  That stuff has been done to death for years, so Doom rarely excited me.  I also wanted to like the music more, but the music only works ingame as outside of the game it's grating garbage lol

Most of my points are objective so disagreeing with them is denying they exist. I understand the quality of the story is more of a subjective point and some place where people could derive value in the game, but I was obviously not a fan.

Doom's story was nothing special, but that wasn't one of its selling points to begin with. It was super fast faced, well balanced, beautiful, and intense as hell. The game knew what it was from the very beginning and just did not give a shit and I loved it. My eyeballs were watering from not blinking due to all the insane action around me complimented by excellent controls. Funny enough it was one of the best FPS games I've played recently.

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2017, 11:15:26 am »

I really liked Wolfenstein when it came out, felt too short, but it was a great game.  I wouldn't call the "What if the Nazi's won WW2" a cliche.  I mean, I can't think of a single game that does exactly that other than Wolfenstein, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I can't think of any games either, but there are many novels and several TV shows that are either based on this premise or have at least touched on it in an episode or two. The two that come to mind are some show that I believe was on Netflix (can't remember the name) and an episode in the original Star Trek series was about this. My point is that it is far from being an original idea.
I guess, but that's with most things honestly, but we are talking about games, how many games let you experience that.

I'm actually most hyped overall about OG Xbox BC.  So many games I want to play, but really don't want to hook up my OG Xbox or have to use those horrid controllers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:17:08 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2017, 11:17:24 am »

I can't think of any games either, but there are many novels and several TV shows that are either based on this premise or have at least touched on it in an episode or two. The two that come to mind are some show that I believe was on Netflix (can't remember the name) and an episode in the original Star Trek series was about this. My point is that it is far from being an original idea.
I guess, but that's with most things honestly, but we are talking about games, how many games let you experience that.

I edited my original reply; calling it cliche is a little harsh. I'll concede there.

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2017, 11:32:25 am »
I would 100% disagree with everything you said as that isn't the game I saw or most people saw really, but I can see we would be on two vastly different ends of the spectrum, so not really worth discussing lol Can't make you like something anymore than I would for another game I don't like.

As for Doom, Doom is fine, it's just a basic shooter.  Nothing really new added, nothing really interesting done with the game, it was a pretty bog standard shooter as far as they go today, just all put together in a very slick, modern, package.  I think it just comes down to me wanting a little more out of my experience than just mindlessly fighting enemy waves.  It's why I don't get into horde modes in games or play stuff like Killing Floor.  That stuff has been done to death for years, so Doom rarely excited me.  I also wanted to like the music more, but the music only works ingame as outside of the game it's grating garbage lol

Most of my points are objective so disagreeing with them is denying they exist. I understand the quality of the story is more of a subjective point and some place where people could derive value in the game, but I was obviously not a fan.

Doom's story was nothing special, but that wasn't one of its selling points to begin with. It was super fast faced, well balanced, beautiful, and intense as hell. The game knew what it was from the very beginning and just did not give a shit and I loved it. My eyeballs were watering from not blinking due to all the insane action around me complimented by excellent controls. Funny enough it was one of the best FPS games I've played recently.
While the majority of your statements are objective, the disliking the game because of those things is subjective.

Literally the only things listed that I think hinder the game were the manual pick ups and the clunky stealth system.

I wouldn't say the enemies in Wolfenstein were any more bullet spongey than the Doom enemies, Doom maybe more so towards the end.

The mumbling makes sense in that he was trying to hide that he is an American.

I felt that the flow of the story was right for what was trying to be conveyed.  Normally by the end of a game, I feel so sluggish and tired that I never want to play it again.  I finished the game feeling like it ended too soon and started over again.  That is an extremely rare thing for me.

The No Hitler thing goes into a different thing.  IMO, if Hitler was killed, it would make it a tad harder to continue the story, also, I feel in Wolfenstein, Mecha-Hitler is overplayed and not welcome.  I rather welcome that through all of BJs hard work, he only did so much damage to the Nazi powerhouse.  And I'm sure the second game is going to really convey just how hard it is going to be to topple the giant.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:34:03 am by ignition365 »

ferraroso

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2017, 11:36:49 am »
The more time I spend on this website and its community, the more I love them!

I edited my original reply; calling it cliche is a little harsh. I'll concede there.

Here we have a wonderful (and rare in most of the internet) example of how people can be open to review their points of view on a subject and even disagree while still continuing to respect others and their respective opinions!

VGCOLLECT IS AWESOME!

(PS: I also liked The New Order)

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2017, 01:31:23 pm »
Loved the New Order- one of the best games I have played from this generation.  In fact, I think I'll play through it again this summer.    Day 1 buy for the sequel.  Only thing I've seen so far that I'm actually excited for.

kevininja

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2017, 02:04:47 pm »

I'm actually most hyped overall about OG Xbox BC.  So many games I want to play, but really don't want to hook up my OG Xbox or have to use those horrid controllers.

Funnily enough Hyperkin is partnering with Microsoft to bring back The Duke with a few modern updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyo-06jkrDM

azure

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »

Funnily enough Hyperkin is partnering with Microsoft to bring back The Duke with a few modern updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyo-06jkrDM
I understand some people may feel nostalgic for it, or even enjoy the design but... Would anyone actually use the Duke over the S redesign or the Xbone controller? I avoid the Duke at all costs.

telly

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 03:01:19 pm »
I have one duke and 3 S controllers. I'm saving the Duke to punish that unfortunate 4th player, haha >: )
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

argyle

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »
After the Xbox One X, their next system will be the Xbox One ZX Advent.

Super Xbox One EX + Alpha: Hyper Edition

I spoke with one of the local GS managers that I'm friends with today and he was talking about how he hates the name because it will make it more difficult to explain the different consoles to the average customer. He brought up that Xbox One X and S sound pretty similar, and it's generally confusing - having seen the average GS customer I can sympathize with him. I just think it's a dumb name, but it's what I've come to expect from Microsoft.

I did see a few games in their conference that interested me, but since they're all either multi-console or also coming to PC, I'm good. Probably the new Metro game & what they showed of Shadows of War interested me the most, but I still need to finish the first games in both of those series.  Oh, and glad to see Cuphead finally got a release date.

I enjoyed the Bethesda conference well enough, probably because Wolfenstein, The Evil Within 2 & the new Dishonored all really interested me (in that order). The earlier stuff they covered was interesting enough - if/when they announce that Fallout 4 VR is coming to PS4VR, I'll be picking one of those up.

Like everyone else, really looking forward to Sony's show tonight.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:49 pm »
Ubisoft actually had a fairly good show this time.  They cut out most of their usual nonsense that made their stuff very cringy and it's better for it.

Highlights for me personally was Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which looks like a lot of fun and out in August. South Park was always gonna be entertaining, but now we got a release date for October.  Skull & Bones has potential as it's basically a multiplayer version of the ship stuff in AC: Black Flag and it has Krakens to fight which is awesome.  And while I never played the first game, Beyond Good & Evil 2 itself looks good, but it's still a long way out, probably late 2018, 2019 at the earliest.

shepard11

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
I have one duke and 3 S controllers. I'm saving the Duke to punish that unfortunate 4th player, haha >: )

Never played nor seen a Duke in the wild. I brought my OG Xbox in the 2nd year of it's life didn't come with that. Kinda want a duke out of curiosity.

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »
It's nice to see Beyond Good and Evil getting the recognition it deserves. I've never played it, but it is one of those games that its fans have been feverishly wanting a sequel to for over a decade. It has inspired me to want to try it out for myself.

spac316

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2017, 05:46:52 pm »
I watched Bethesda's e3 last night and it was ok. The only things that really stood out for me were the Link amiibo support for Skyrim and Wolfenstein 2, for which I'm pretty excited about. Quake Championship looks fun to.

I won't bother watching Ubisoft's e3, but I have seen the trailer for Mario + Rabbids and it looks fun. Also South Park: FBW should be great.

EDIT: Oooh! BG&E 2! Sweet! Finally!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:36:17 pm by spac316 »