Author Topic: I heard retro game prices have peaked  (Read 11398 times)

Re: I heard retro game prices have peaked
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2021, 01:36:32 pm »
If the CIA and the FBI can get involved we yet may still be able to collect NEW AND OLD games for our children and grandchildren and their children and grandchildren to play, in the future, instead of them gaming industry taking away the games when they feel like it. The earth has limited resources and we don't need them PS4 PS5 consoles in landfills because SONY (as an example) would/might refuses to support them in the future when they want the new gen to take in effect. That is bad planning and it is down right hazardous even for the economy world wide

Let's have digital and physical or else all is lost, and I am crazy for making this post and I know it :-\

why this obsurd post? what are we doing and what do you think will happen to all those digital license only discs when the servers are shutdown or can no longer run for any kind of reason :'(

Aaaaand back. The CIA and FBI have no interest in preserving video games, music, or anything like that. it's not their job. Most younger people now don't care about preservation sadly, they prefer the convenience of digital, streaming, etc. There are no stores where I live, outside a few small specialty shops, that cell CD's anymore. Movies are headed that same direction, and video games as well. It;s the sad reality, but it's the reality. No crimes are being broken here.

without stores there is no economy, no economy mean sadness depression, and vary few jobs or reason to leave your house and have a family outing. and no where or place of possessions to call your own, streaming service has all or mostly bootleg shit, on it, and not the original artist, that is why I collect music games and some movies, because I don't ever use all that free shit, sorry but it's shit, and it's only good for some genres of music not most or even the decent stuff is not on it. not to argue I agree with you Wolf! but them kids don't know what's good, I do, and I say that free stuff 98% of it is just 2nd hand garbage and those bands that cover for those OG artists don't even sound close to the master recordings you can luckily still purchase NEW from stores like Walmart and BOTH off and online  best of both worlds

Sometimes YouTube is best for finding something new, or getting the word out there, but this world is so twisted up now I hope it gets better and we can have best of both worlds

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 01:56:07 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2021, 02:39:42 pm »
If the CIA and the FBI can get involved we yet may still be able to collect NEW AND OLD games for our children and grandchildren and their children and grandchildren to play, in the future, instead of them gaming industry taking away the games when they feel like it. The earth has limited resources and we don't need them PS4 PS5 consoles in landfills because SONY (as an example) would/might refuses to support them in the future when they want the new gen to take in effect. That is bad planning and it is down right hazardous even for the economy world wide

Let's have digital and physical or else all is lost, and I am crazy for making this post and I know it :-\

why this obsurd post? what are we doing and what do you think will happen to all those digital license only discs when the servers are shutdown or can no longer run for any kind of reason :'(

Aaaaand back. The CIA and FBI have no interest in preserving video games, music, or anything like that. it's not their job. Most younger people now don't care about preservation sadly, they prefer the convenience of digital, streaming, etc. There are no stores where I live, outside a few small specialty shops, that cell CD's anymore. Movies are headed that same direction, and video games as well. It;s the sad reality, but it's the reality. No crimes are being broken here.

without stores there is no economy, no economy mean sadness depression, and vary few jobs or reason to leave your house and have a family outing.

"no stores where I live, outside a few small specialty shops, that [ s ]ell CD's anymore"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:41:58 pm by Cartagia »

sworddude

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2021, 04:23:56 pm »

It's good for the enviroment not to mention those consoles and discs ain't going to go to waste 99% is going to be recycled and turned into something else anyway not much is truly lost.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2021, 05:07:12 pm »

without stores there is no economy, no economy mean sadness depression, and vary few jobs or reason to leave your house and have a family outing.

"no stores where I live, outside a few small specialty shops, that [ s ]ell CD's anymore"

Thanks for taking the time to correct my typo...

Warmsignal

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2021, 10:09:31 pm »
It's one thing to be an old soul and prefer the bygone way of things, and then another to shill for a soulless corporation like Walmart. That company is responsible for the demise of more retail business in the U.S. pre-Internet than probably anyone else. They brought in the cheap import crap and sold it at cut throat prices for decades. They helped lower the bar for consumer goods and they drove out countless smaller businesses that could not compete with the appeal of a massive big box warehouse full of cheap junk.

Walmart, Amazon, etc. Unfortunately it's all just the way of capitalism, and there's a logical if somewhat troubling conclusion to that system. Without systemic change we're all on track to earn far less of the world's total wealth than our parents, and our children far less than us, as more is concentrated to the top. Unfortunately we live in a world where the philosophy is somehow thinking money is the goal, rather than the means. We're greedy by nature, and it's also our downfall. But this rant is getting way off topic and I'm not delving into the politics...

I heard video game prices haven't peaked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:14:47 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2021, 11:01:17 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to correct my typo...

It's not about the typo, it's about oldgamerz only responding to the first part of the sentence and how there are "no stores".

sworddude

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2021, 08:04:07 pm »
It's kinda interesting how this hasn't been brought up

In them recent times factory sealed graded games of pretty common games have gone for insane prices. previously some games could buy you a car nowadays you can buy a pretty nice house  ::)

Mario bros for over 500K

zelda nes for over 800K

Mario 64 for a whopping 1.5M  :o

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2021/7/super-mario-64-game-fetches-1-5m-at-auction-breaking-record-667309

Supreme condition or not those prices seem like madness to me.

Even the snes ps1 dev console didn't sell for those amounts at just 300K a significant piece of gaming history. Seems like a steal compared to the common stuff that is sold at these heritage auctions.

it's kinda funny how even just a few years back people where already saying that 10 - 50K was insane for a stadium events or them NWC cardridges wich where at the very least legitamtely rare yet going for a fraction. I wonder if these sales are legit. and if they are why the hell didn't these people buy copies of mario 64 factory sealed for a mere fraction elsewhere this can't be natural ::)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 08:06:18 pm by sworddude »

Flashback2012

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2021, 01:02:48 am »
It's kinda interesting how this hasn't been brought up

In them recent times factory sealed graded games of pretty common games have gone for insane prices. previously some games could buy you a car nowadays you can buy a pretty nice house  ::)

Mario bros for over 500K

zelda nes for over 800K

Mario 64 for a whopping 1.5M  :o

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2021/7/super-mario-64-game-fetches-1-5m-at-auction-breaking-record-667309

Supreme condition or not those prices seem like madness to me.

Even the snes ps1 dev console didn't sell for those amounts at just 300K a significant piece of gaming history. Seems like a steal compared to the common stuff that is sold at these heritage auctions.

it's kinda funny how even just a few years back people where already saying that 10 - 50K was insane for a stadium events or them NWC cardridges wich where at the very least legitamtely rare yet going for a fraction. I wonder if these sales are legit. and if they are why the hell didn't these people buy copies of mario 64 factory sealed for a mere fraction elsewhere this can't be natural ::)

All of those are (allegedly) money laundering rackets. The problem with that is it makes the mouth-breathing dummies who don't know better think they're sitting on a damn gold mine when they aren't.  :P

Warmsignal

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2021, 09:18:15 pm »
Yeah, I don't believe for a second anyone would pay those prices. The word is that auctioneer has been accused a fraudulent practices many times before. It might be worth that if it's still sealed and intact 600 years in the future, but not today.

sworddude

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2021, 09:24:17 am »
Yeah, I don't believe for a second anyone would pay those prices. The word is that auctioneer has been accused a fraudulent practices many times before. It might be worth that if it's still sealed and intact 600 years in the future, but not today.

i doubt it especially when it's graded probably stored in a bank vault. also with the mentality of value today I don't see it getting lost. Maybe if it becomes worthless in the future but when it's rare 600 years later as a result of that it wouldn't really matter since nobody cared at that point.

I also highly doubt even raw sealed games are going to evaporate/ degrade in 600 years within normal living conditions. In an old shed sure but what serious collector stores there collection in a poorly isolated shed anything would end up damaged in those conditions even things that are build to last.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:26:02 am by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2021, 01:04:15 pm »

i doubt it especially when it's graded probably stored in a bank vault. also with the mentality of value today I don't see it getting lost. Maybe if it becomes worthless in the future but when it's rare 600 years later as a result of that it wouldn't really matter since nobody cared at that point.

I also highly doubt even raw sealed games are going to evaporate/ degrade in 600 years within normal living conditions. In an old shed sure but what serious collector stores there collection in a poorly isolated shed anything would end up damaged in those conditions even things that are build to last.

There was the one guy on YT who infamously did just that, and even posted a video about how his entire collection got ruined while in a cruddy old garden shed. I've never put my stuff in a shed, even a well built and climate controlled one. The things I value, belong in the security of my own home.

tripredacus

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »
A disaster can occur where the paper portions of a game collection can get ruined. You then need to decide whether or not it is worth to even keep the plastic and electronic part of a cartridge that is inside. I've had to make that decision before... there is really nothing you can do in that instance, your item will be immediately worthless. It doesn't have the same type of novelty as those VCS carts that were dug out of the Atari landfill.

And while my experience wasn't on the scale of a major disaster, just think about all of the video game collections that get damaged by major floods. Everytime I see a news story about a town getting a flood, I immediately think about that there is a collector of something that lived there and lost all their stuff.  :'(

sworddude

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »
A disaster can occur where the paper portions of a game collection can get ruined. You then need to decide whether or not it is worth to even keep the plastic and electronic part of a cartridge that is inside. I've had to make that decision before... there is really nothing you can do in that instance, your item will be immediately worthless. It doesn't have the same type of novelty as those VCS carts that were dug out of the Atari landfill.

And while my experience wasn't on the scale of a major disaster, just think about all of the video game collections that get damaged by major floods. Everytime I see a news story about a town getting a flood, I immediately think about that there is a collector of something that lived there and lost all their stuff.  :'(

Sure but considering the amount of people that take it super seriously these days I really doubt a sizable chunk will actually vanish thanks to some disaster so many people doing it after all.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:08:47 pm by sworddude »