Author Topic: I heard retro game prices have peaked  (Read 11395 times)

sworddude

Re: I heard retro game prices have peaked
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 08:10:07 pm »
About the pokemon games : fairly sure i still have a bunch sealed Ds games at my parents place of aleast one version or the other since i usually bought both versions when they came out.
Pretty sure my dutch box language versions would be going for a lot less money then american versions, same with french and german versions for that matter.

pokemon red/blue/yellow doubt a sealed pal copy would be going for even close to what an american version would go for.

Was talking about US versions with that comment

That being said There are stores in my countries that give 100 euro's for a cib dutch pokemon platinum instantly wich is 120 $ you can get more by actually selling it yourselves. they give even more for black 2 and white 2 and much more for heartgold soulsilver. I'd argue germany and french having a simular situation. and they don't differentiate between good to amazing condition

Very simular to USA prices  with those examples prices can differ between titles but it's pretty insane in europe aswell.

as far as dutch english boxed factory sealed pal copies goes

It's hard to tell really considering they are really rare to find factory sealed you'll find usa version sealed in europe far more easy let alone that most deals especially in europe don't happen on ebay in wich prices are far harder to track down. let alone that even with outside sourcers not easy to track them down unlike factory sealed american examples.

You only see few pal factory sealed copies while you can easily find a dozen of usa versions.

Before the boom the prices where however really simular to US versions as in well below 1000$ for a factory sealed dutch english boxed version wich was crazy at the time. slightly higher for pal copies I'd argue since they have far less quantities.

I can only find one factory sealed copy of an english boxed version of a pal version on ebay for roughly 9K

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154415705107?hash=item23f3e4ac13%3Ag%3AZvAAAOSw87hgWNMB&LH_ItemCondition=1000

one dutch english copy being sold for 8K but graded. way higher than 2 years ago though, it was only less than 1000 than although I've seen some really high graded ones go for 1500 even more years back. sealed always had crazy values just not this crazy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VGA-85-NM-FACTORY-SEALED-POKEMON-RED-GAMEBOY-GAME-PAL-UK-CHARIZARD-HOLY-GRAIL-/324577320206?hash=item4b9250dd0e%3Ag%3AF9UAAOSwysBgezyU&nma=true&si=K8d9TyC8Oh2xSTeVmvyyvr82K0Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

pokemon yellow is really simular to brand new us prices kinda odd imo that red & blue are far more valuable while pokemon yellow sold at the very least 50% less copies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pokemon-Yellow-Version-For-Gameboy-Special-Pikachu-Edition-/324559810597?hash=item4b9145b025%3Ag%3AXycAAOSwYHdgbcKp&LH_ItemCondition=1000&nma=true&si=K8d9TyC8Oh2xSTeVmvyyvr82K0Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

italian copies and such have far less value sure. but if the language is either dutch english or french the value is usually among the top. even germany nowadays seems to be in the uprise since it's usually far more common over there if where talking lower but still high values.

well at least in general with the more normal collectibles

with say snes and nes French language is usually far far more pricy than Uk english version. with snes english are strangely enough usually not the most pricy option and where talking 50 or 100+ % price increase for cib copies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:07:43 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2021, 08:15:15 am »
Video games are the newest commodity, so let all these improvident simpletons fritter their money away, I sure as hell can put it to better use. Their lack of common sense and control is lining up my pockets, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

armani

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2021, 09:55:26 pm »
before this thread was even made video games were high. they have been pretty high since 2013...at least in the US

pzeke

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 05:46:28 am »
There are certain factors that have exacerbated prices now (i.e. pandemic craze); but yeah, fur the most part you're right.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dreama1

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2021, 05:10:29 am »
before this thread was even made video games were high. they have been pretty high since 2013...at least in the US
People were bitching back in 2008 in honesty.

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2021, 12:41:52 am »

It's all relative. I remember getting pissed at $20 Gamecube games at the Flea Market that now sell for hundreds back in 2010. That's because back then no one gave a shit about sixth gen games and per practically giving them away. A decade prior and before I began collecting people were buying NES games like Samson and Flintstones for a buck and no one cared mostly. So when someone tried to charge $30 for either of those games they were laughed at. Funny how silly those people that laughed at them feel now.

sworddude

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2021, 09:21:35 am »

It's all relative. I remember getting pissed at $20 Gamecube games at the Flea Market that now sell for hundreds back in 2010. That's because back then no one gave a shit about sixth gen games and per practically giving them away. A decade prior and before I began collecting people were buying NES games like Samson and Flintstones for a buck and no one cared mostly. So when someone tried to charge $30 for either of those games they were laughed at. Funny how silly those people that laughed at them feel now.

Definitely but it's no suprise considering gamecube deals where everywhere it was so easy to get those deals so why bother to spend that amount of money

Still I've heard that even in the early 2000's games like Bonk's adventure nes had some value among collectors. like instead of a few $ it was 10, 20 or 30$ carts not to mention complete with boxes and manual had almost identical value. those amounts where however seen as crazy expensive back than though. obviously plenty of people who gave them away for almost nothing but for the rarest or good games there was still some niche market for it even if it's pocket money compared to now. Still that was just the easy way to get those games from resellers but at a back than premium price.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:51:03 am by sworddude »

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2021, 11:58:54 am »

Definitely but it's no suprise considering gamecube deals where everywhere it was so easy to get those deals so why bother to spend that amount of money

Still I've heard that even in the early 2000's games like Bonk's adventure nes had some value among collectors. like instead of a few $ it was 10, 20 or 30$ carts not to mention complete with boxes and manual had almost identical value. those amounts where however seen as crazy expensive back than though. obviously plenty of people who gave them away for almost nothing but for the rarest or good games there was still some niche market for it even if it's pocket money compared to now. Still that was just the easy way to get those games from resellers but at a back than premium price.

They definitely did, even Samson was like $50 on ebay back then. The difference was that so few people were after those games that if you looked hard enough at flea markets and thrift stores you'd likely find them at some point. When I got back into collecting I found good stuff at thrift stores and my local flea market all the time. Mostly because the stuff I was after wasn't sought after by many. Fastforward just a few years and games like Goldeneye, Windwaker, or Melee which I used to find often wouldn't last five minutes at these same places. More people jumped in, demand took off, resellers found a new market, and prices went through the roof.

Warmsignal

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2021, 10:07:12 pm »

I don't think I would call 2013 prices high. There weren't dirt cheap anymore, but now it's like there's so many games that are seriously no longer affordable by standards of many. This is no longer "I don't want to pay anything for these games, they should be pocket change" it's more "I can't spend that kind of money and also pay rent or eat".

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2021, 12:07:25 am »
This is no longer "I don't want to pay anything for these games, they should be pocket change" it's more "I can't spend that kind of money and also pay rent or eat".

I find it's become more "I don't feel I'm going to get my money's worth out of this" and/or "If I'm going to spend that much, I'd much rather get XXXX".

sworddude

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2021, 06:53:04 am »

I don't think I would call 2013 prices high. There weren't dirt cheap anymore, but now it's like there's so many games that are seriously no longer affordable by standards of many. This is no longer "I don't want to pay anything for these games, they should be pocket change" it's more "I can't spend that kind of money and also pay rent or eat".

While your certainly right for the actual pricy stuff, I've heard this far to much with values below the 50$ range

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:19:05 am by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2021, 11:07:33 pm »

While your certainly right for the actual pricy stuff, I've heard this far to much with values below the 50$ range

The more expensive the games get, the less feasible it is to collect them, independent of whether $35 seems a "reasonable" price tag for any given title. When retro prices start to mirror that of new release prices, the budget for retro collecting gets way tighter. How many new releases are you dropping full MSPR on each week? Each month? Your retro game pick-ups will start to look very similar to that in pace. Some folks can't swing both, and understandably so.

Remember that a lot of collectors jumped on this wagon initially because buying old games was a cheap alternative to buying new games, and it's fun to collect things easily and inexpensively. But when many old games start to trend between $20 and $50 let alone all the really expensive ones now, the story changes.

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2021, 02:43:11 am »
If the CIA and the FBI can get involved we yet may still be able to collect NEW AND OLD games for our children and grandchildren and their children and grandchildren to play, in the future, instead of them gaming industry taking away the games when they feel like it. The earth has limited resources and we don't need them PS4 PS5 consoles in landfills because SONY (as an example) would/might refuses to support them in the future when they want the new gen to take in effect. That is bad planning and it is down right hazardous even for the economy world wide

Let's have digital and physical or else all is lost, and I am crazy for making this post and I know it :-\

why this obsurd post? what are we doing and what do you think will happen to all those digital license only discs when the servers are shutdown or can no longer run for any kind of reason :'(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:46:40 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2021, 07:35:19 am »

The more expensive the games get, the less feasible it is to collect them, independent of whether $35 seems a "reasonable" price tag for any given title. When retro prices start to mirror that of new release prices, the budget for retro collecting gets way tighter. How many new releases are you dropping full MSPR on each week? Each month? Your retro game pick-ups will start to look very similar to that in pace. Some folks can't swing both, and understandably so.

Remember that a lot of collectors jumped on this wagon initially because buying old games was a cheap alternative to buying new games, and it's fun to collect things easily and inexpensively. But when many old games start to trend between $20 and $50 let alone all the really expensive ones now, the story changes.

It happens a hell lot more during new releases who says I was just talking retro  ;D

It's hilarious when people tell they had to cancel pre orders because they otherwise had to live on cup noodles for the next month. I get money can be tight but why post it, That's just asking for laughter because it's usually written in the most dramatic way. I guess there are allot of people in this hobby that are less fortunate but at such small amounts you only look dog-poor towards the rest when you post such things.

Still speaking of retro, comments about people having to sell organs or mortgaging their house to get 100$ games. It's obviously a joke but those comments always make my day. I have rarely seen people make those comments with the actual grails lol. it happens a hell lot more with the lower end stuff that people can actually reach (and in most cases easily afford or planning to buy in the near future ) ::)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 07:54:32 am by sworddude »

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
If the CIA and the FBI can get involved we yet may still be able to collect NEW AND OLD games for our children and grandchildren and their children and grandchildren to play, in the future, instead of them gaming industry taking away the games when they feel like it. The earth has limited resources and we don't need them PS4 PS5 consoles in landfills because SONY (as an example) would/might refuses to support them in the future when they want the new gen to take in effect. That is bad planning and it is down right hazardous even for the economy world wide

Let's have digital and physical or else all is lost, and I am crazy for making this post and I know it :-\

why this obsurd post? what are we doing and what do you think will happen to all those digital license only discs when the servers are shutdown or can no longer run for any kind of reason :'(

Aaaaand back. The CIA and FBI have no interest in preserving video games, music, or anything like that. it's not their job. Most younger people now don't care about preservation sadly, they prefer the convenience of digital, streaming, etc. There are no stores where I live, outside a few small specialty shops, that cell CD's anymore. Movies are headed that same direction, and video games as well. It;s the sad reality, but it's the reality. No crimes are being broken here.