Author Topic: Secrecy in the gaming community  (Read 4085 times)

Re: Secrecy in the gaming community
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:32 am »

LOL well? If you were a millionare would you buy 100 games for 25c
Yes.  Why wouldn't I?  I'm not a millionaire and I'd do that.
good then your playing it smart 8)
I really don't follow what your mindset is.

I fall under the definition of a hoarder of video games.  I certainly am accumulating video games for preservation, future use, or etc.  And for the most part I usually have more games than I have space for.

to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:55 am »
I really don't follow what your mindset is.

I fall under the definition of a hoarder of video games.  I certainly am accumulating video games for preservation, future use, or etc.  And for the most part I usually have more games than I have space for.

to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

I am not judging you man carry on just ignore me. I am not perfect. I am just angry at some of the people out their that have 20 copies of every game and don't sell or and don't play them.  sorry to make you mad :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:45:18 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:02 am »
I am not judging you man carry on just ignore me. I am not perfect. I am just angery at some of the people out their that have 20 copies of every game and don't sell or and don't play them. sorry to make you mad :(
Not mad, just don't understand what you were getting at.

I actually know a guy who had over 400 copies of Jurassic Park for SNES.  He would take pictures of his fridge or bathtub full of copies of the game.  I'm sure some of you folks have seen the pictures before.  He has since sold off the collection of Jurassic Park carts.

Let me tell you though, owning 400 copies of Jurassic Park, it didn't affect the availability or market price for the game.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 10:35:51 am »
I am not judging you man carry on just ignore me. I am not perfect. I am just angery at some of the people out their that have 20 copies of every game and don't sell or and don't play them. sorry to make you mad :(
Not mad, just don't understand what you were getting at.

I actually know a guy who had over 400 copies of Jurassic Park for SNES.  He would take pictures of his fridge or bathtub full of copies of the game.  I'm sure some of you folks have seen the pictures before.  He has since sold off the collection of Jurassic Park carts.

Let me tell you though, owning 400 copies of Jurassic Park, it didn't affect the availability or market price for the game.

at least he sold him and didn't throw them away ::), I am glad he sold them eventually so other people could play the physical  copies had once had again :)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 10:57:28 am »
oldgamerz is referring to people that have, say, 10 sealed copies of Little Samson, and don't even bother to at least consider offers for a copy. You know, essentially the kind of people that like to buy multiple copies of "rare" games in order to affect the value/market.

At least that's what I gathered from what he posted.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
Some people have multiple copies of a game if they are really crazy about that so called game, also rare games do pull some people in thanks to It's rarity to have multiple copies of.

Not always resellers but people with to much cash in their pockets wanting a game multiple times to satisfy their needs.

Also as far as rich people go

If they want something they just buy it for whatever price.

Those people will not put in effort to get game deals, they have no time to find deals nor should they care since they are losing money if they would invest their free time to search for a deal.

Their saving money by buying it for ebay prices since their time is far more valuable than saving small amounts of money.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

athmaus

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 11:47:49 am »
That is really odd, especially if you are wanting help to find the game.

I did find a thrift shop that was selling N64 games for dirt cheap, and they would just sit there.  So i go ever so often and get them. Picked up Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing for a few bucks.

Well a friend of my brother in law found out about it and went nuts.  Long story short they jacked up everything to eBay prices

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 08:19:49 am »
oldgamerz is referring to people that have, say, 10 sealed copies of Little Samson, and don't even bother to at least consider offers for a copy. You know, essentially the kind of people that like to buy multiple copies of "rare" games in order to affect the value/market.

yes exactly

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 10:49:15 am »
To give an example of why someone might not want to spill the beans... My brother and I contacted this old guy who ran a rental store long ago, and got him to agree to meet us at his store where we bought some really cool complete games from his stash, including the legendary Hagane. Well, we told this guy who runs a local game store in the area (stupid of us). The other day, this guy who already has thousands of games in his store and overcharges for most of them, informed me that he went to the old dude and bought out the rest of everything he had to resell.

I just hate to see stuff like that happen, and especially knowing that it's because of me.

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 01:57:58 pm »
To give an example of why someone might not want to spill the beans... My brother and I contacted this old guy who ran a rental store long ago, and got him to agree to meet us at his store where we bought some really cool complete games from his stash, including the legendary Hagane. Well, we told this guy who runs a local game store in the area (stupid of us). The other day, this guy who already has thousands of games in his store and overcharges for most of them, informed me that he went to the old dude and bought out the rest of everything he had to resell.

I just hate to see stuff like that happen, and especially knowing that it's because of me.
I expect this behavior out of everyone, ESPECIALLY locals.

ESPECIALLY the shop owners, they are the worst.

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2017, 05:12:17 pm »

I knew a guy through another collector who did this with Panzer Dragoon Saga of all games; he had about 10 sealed copies of it, most of which he acquired as a former employee of EB games in the late 90s, but then he just started buying them up whenever who could find them for a decent price. I guess he also had several opened copies as well that were in mint condition. Why he needed to sit on $15000 in Panzer Sagas is anyone's guess, but honestly it just came across as insanely unhealthy and odd.

Warmsignal

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 07:02:26 pm »

I knew a guy through another collector who did this with Panzer Dragoon Saga of all games; he had about 10 sealed copies of it, most of which he acquired as a former employee of EB games in the late 90s, but then he just started buying them up whenever who could find them for a decent price. I guess he also had several opened copies as well that were in mint condition. Why he needed to sit on $15000 in Panzer Sagas is anyone's guess, but honestly it just came across as insanely unhealthy and odd.

Something that always irritated me (when it probably shouldn't being that I don't really want the games) is when people buy up a multitude of the same Working Designs games just because the disc artwork is a variant. Not even completionists, just people who are obsessed with WD tend to have like 50 copies of all of their games. Nowadays nobody could afford to do that, but it used to be a thing.

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »

Something that always irritated me (when it probably shouldn't being that I don't really want the games) is when people buy up a multitude of the same Working Designs games just because the disc artwork is a variant. Not even completionists, just people who are obsessed with WD tend to have like 50 copies of all of their games. Nowadays nobody could afford to do that, but it used to be a thing.

I've know a few of those WD obsessed collectors, but to be fair, one just loved JRPGs and WD was his favorite publisher back in the day. The other was just going for a complete North American Saturn collection (which he actually achieved) including all disk and art variants. Neither of them were game hoarders which I can respect, but yeah, the disk variant people can be a bit odd. But they are nothing compared to people who feel compelled to hoard many copies of the same game. Without exception I cannot think of one hoarder game collector I've known or met that wasn't really rough around the edges or just a complete annoyance to be around. One thing they love to do is remind you of how many copies of game X they have, and how you only have 1, or even worse none at all. Of course they refuse to sell or trade just one of their copies either because that would decrease the size of their...umm, collection....

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:56 pm »
Try being a game developer. The whole industry is built on secrets.

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 01:02:43 am »
Try being a game developer. The whole industry is built on secrets.

sometimes they can be crime organizations as well :-X

NO APPS NEEDED