Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising  (Read 1724 times)

jcalder8

Kid Icarus: Uprising
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
To those who bought it already: How is it?

I have heard mixed things about it so far.

scott

Re: Kid Icarus: Uprising
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »
I like it a lot, it scratches my shmup itch with a nice modern touch. Though I can't play it efficiently thanks to being left handed. The face buttons suck for playing southpaw and if I try to play right handed I can't play at a decent difficulty. I went out today to get a Circle Pad Pro, but no one has it in stock, but my GameStop is taking preorders for when they get more in stock, so I went with that.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »
The game is really fun to play. The on-rail sections are really fast and frantic and very easy to get a good hang of. The ground segments are also well designed and fun, but this is where the game mildly suffers due to the controls being, well, kinda weird. You control the camera by swiping on the touch screen, and aim by using the touch screen similarly to an analog stick (but with obviously with a lot more precision). It's hard to get used to and becomes almost cumbersome against bosses, but overall the gameplay still manages to be really fun.
The game is also quite hard if you play on an intensity above 7 (and even 7 turns out being quite challenging). I currently play around 6.5 and new chapters are getting pretty tough already (even though I'm only up to chapter 5).

scott

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »
I currently can't play on anything over 4.0....  :'(

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:42:03 am »
Thanks Scott, you made me feel better. I'm doing OK with about 4.0 as well, I'm hoping to get some good weapons further on in the game and then go up in difficulty.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »
I just beat the first chapter at 9.0 intensity! That was pretty rough (I was a hit away from the boss killing me), but I've been experimenting with a few different weapon types and getting lots of strong stuff, so it really wasn't as hard as I originally expected.
I look forward to getting good enough weapons to do any other chapter above 8.0, these will be a lot harder.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:27:07 pm by jobocan »

darko

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
So I waited out the weekend to buy the game since I was pretty unsure of the control scheme. Is it a go now or are the controls enough of a setback to wait for a price drop?

scott

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:24 pm »
I've gotten kinda used to playing righty, but I'm still getting a circle pad pro. Sounds like Jobocan is having a blast with it too, I'd say it might be worth picking up. But it's your cash, so it'll really be all up to you.

Also, I found out today that Amazon had a preorder price guarantee and the price dropped to $29.99, so I saved $10 on it brand new. 

amauriel

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:18:25 am »
My husband says the control scheme is very similar to Metroid Prime Hunters. I've never been much of a Metroid person so I can't verify that.

But I would guess that would be a good frame of reference if you played that. I have this strange way of holding the 3DS where I use my right pinkie to hold the console upright, giving me more room for everything else (got that holding style when I was playing Layton back and forth during WoW nights) and I have had no problems, even without the stand.

And although I would have never guessed it, I think my favorite part of the game is the banter between the characters. I'm guessing it'll eventually get old, but it's sorta Star Fox-y and super enjoyable.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:58 am »
Also, I found out today that Amazon had a preorder price guarantee and the price dropped to $29.99, so I saved $10 on it brand new.

Target has a sale, too, for buy 2 get 1 free.  Pretty good if you need to catch up on some of the other $40 3DS games (they picture Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, and Super Mario 3DLand).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:31 am »

Target has a sale, too, for buy 2 get 1 free.  Pretty good if you need to catch up on some of the other $40 3DS games (they picture Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, and Super Mario 3DLand).

Scott meant that all of us that pre-ordered it got an e-mail and we were refunded $10. Amazon is sometimes super awesome. Combine that with the Skylanders they had in stock last week, and I can't say enough great things about them at the moment.

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:18 am »
My husband says the control scheme is very similar to Metroid Prime Hunters. I've never been much of a Metroid person so I can't verify that.

It is very Metroid Hunters. Come to think of it. Except rather than an FPS you're playing a 3rd person shmup.

jobocan

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:29:41 am »
Ah Kid Icarus. Just when you think you're done with the main story, it throws you a plot twist. Lovely.