Author Topic: Game Storage  (Read 3879 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Game Storage
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 09:42:19 pm »
With those small ones, they're mostly good if you're into DS or PS1. By the time you divide up the shelves you don't get much space for anything bigger, and you end up with some wasted area you can't really fit much in. They might work okay for you right now.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 10:14:00 pm »
Any type of wood will work, I use the relatively soft Common Board wood, because it's cheap.

Most folks will do 6' tall, 2' wide shelves, but I find that 3' shelves are just as sturdy, especially with a proper baseboard.  I set 2 3' wide shelves next to each other and screw them together for added support.

6 - 6' long, 6" wide, 1" thick common board (I think about $3 a piece)
1 - 3' long, 1' wide, 1" thick common board (This is your base board, I don't believe they sell it in 3', but you can buy 1 6' for about $10 I think and cut it in half for 2 base boards for 2 separate shelves, so in theory $5 for our usage)
36 - screws.  I use #8 2" Exterior Wood screws.  (I can't honestly recall a price)

$25. roughly.

I also buy sand paper and stuff to smooth out the wood so no splinters.  You can also treat and paint the wood if you want obviously, but I never bothered.  I also use angle clamps to hold the frame together while screwing the frame together.

This video is a fantastic explanation, but I use a bigger base board so it won't tip, mine is 3' wide instead of 2', and I don't use the particle board backing because it's a waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTkD7Rq2jU
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:15:41 pm by ignition365 »

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 11:43:12 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:33:09 pm by jce3000gt »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:16 pm »
I've been getting these when they go on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KW0CRI/ref=twister_B007C6UVPY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have two shelves like these and I love them!  In a perfect world I definitely recommend media shelves over bookshelves but everyone's situation is different.   

Depending on your level of skill simple shelves are pretty easy to make on your own.  If you are looking for cheap, you can't beat this build idea:

Cheap DIY Video Game or DVD Shelves: $15 and an hour of work for 700+ game storage

Good luck!
I also recommend this method I have over 11000 games stored on them for about 2 years now with no problems. A little paint and they look as good as any store bought shelves. Check out my gallery for pics if interested.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:05:34 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:18 pm »
I wanna thank everyone who gave their suggestions. At the moment i have very little space to consider building my own. I just ended up getting the shelf i posted about. It's the perfect fit for me right now, especially considering my collection is fairly small.

In the future though, when I have a lot more room to work with, and when my collection is a lot other, I'll most likely build my own shelving.

This is how much room I had to work with. (Don't have anywhere else to put the boxes)

Also note the size of my current collection.
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 12:25:46 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:33:02 pm by jce3000gt »

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 11:40:58 pm »
You probably figured it out already, but you can access his gallery through his collection link.

As for the topic at hand, during the time that my room was a complete mess because I had nowhere to put my games, collectibles, and what-have-you, I considered building my own shelves, but because I'm lazy, I didn't. A friend of my mom said he could help me with that, but nothing ever came out of it, so in the end I ended up buying bookcases/shelves at K-Mart.

In all honestly, not exactly the best, but for the price they work very well (at least for me).

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 09:32:29 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:32:55 pm by jce3000gt »

shepard11

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 03:54:13 pm »
I wanna thank everyone who gave their suggestions. At the moment i have very little space to consider building my own. I just ended up getting the shelf i posted about. It's the perfect fit for me right now, especially considering my collection is fairly small.

In the future though, when I have a lot more room to work with, and when my collection is a lot other, I'll most likely build my own shelving.

This is how much room I had to work with. (Don't have anywhere else to put the boxes)

Also note the size of my current collection.

It's a good start. We all had to start somewhere. I use a few different things so far the Atlantic Media Tower and those stack-able plastic bins from Target are my favorite options outside of mounted shelving on the wall.   

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 05:07:17 am »
I store game just in the boxes

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
I store my games in drawer spaces i have, I would love to have a shelf one day.
I'd recommend a nice sturdy bookshelf with smooth surfaces and enough space to add things of variable sizes, such as shorter or taller game boxes, a figure, or a display. I'd stay away from anything that could compromise the quality of your games, such as metal, metal wiring, rough wood, or something with a questionable finish. Adding felt to wooded shelves really helps protect against slipping cases and the probability of scuffing or marking of the cases. Dusting regularly helps keep any hard grime from accumulating on plastics (something i seem to always forget to do). And remember to keep any older video game plastics, as well as soft plastics and anything metal AWAY from direct sunlight (it's more damaging than you think). Also try not to put anything on top of your (newer) game systems. More heat gets reflected and trapped into the system, and the thin plastic on game boxes can really begin to melt (a lesson i had to learn hard). And keep away from mold. Mold/mildew is nasty. It grows onto your circuit boards and eats away at your papers. Just don't.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 09:53:15 pm »
I got my collection sorted out differently than most of you.

My collection is mostly sorted out with genre and type of games instead of having only the same console games in the same spot

I have a small but deep bookcase 1 foot and some inches wide. with 6 levels about 1 foot and a half deep. the bottom shelf has a heavy placeholder to keep this bookcase from falling over.

and one shelf fits 2 rows of DVD type games

one shelf is dedicated for 1st person shooters. (mostly PS2 and PS3 FPS games)

another shelf is for compilation games and arcade ports. also storing some Nintendo 64 cartridges for easier access.

Another shelf on the same bookcase has stacks of loose Sega Genesis game cartridges

My sports N64 and NES games are all together lined up inside a small shelving unit inside the doors of my Entertainment center. vary convenient

I have a big cardboard box to put my RPG and Miscellaneous games in.

My PS1 PS2 and PS3 golf collection is in one single wood DVD holder on top of my entertainment center. most of my other shooting, and action games, for all consoles are in a detached dresser drawer. sitting on my entertainment center. I have a lot of sports games inside a old fruit market storage box this box is tough and vary convenient for me

My Xbox games are separate from all the rest. my video game accessories are separate but in the same location like most video game collectors
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:49:03 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"