Author Topic: Street Fighter II (30th Anniversary Edition)  (Read 2322 times)

desocietas

Street Fighter II (30th Anniversary Edition)
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:49:18 pm »
https://store.iam8bit.com/products/street-fighter-ii-30th-anniversary-edition ($100)

"As a Street Fighter 30th Anniversary surprise, Capcom & iam8bit fistbumped to create this ultra premium throwback relic - a brand-new, freshly manufactured limited edition of Street Fighter II for Super Nintendo Entertainment System compatible hardware. Featuring one of two colored cartridges, each housing the original game code and fully playable on NTSC consoles - but that’s just the beginning! The “Legacy Cartridge Collection” embodies retro-inspired luxury, amplifying the core SNES box design with a glistening foil sheen, delicately embossed texture, chic spot varnish and an innovative tri-fold cover that opens to reveal bonus vintage art. Inside, we’re keeping it old-school by restoring the contents of the original instruction booklet, complete with a new archival cover print + secret pack-ins (to be revealed when you crack that shrink-wrap seal)."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Re: Street Fighter II (30th Anniversary Edition)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
I love the disclaimer near the bottom:

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”.  Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:31 pm »
Pretty pricey to me.  You can buy a nice CIB original of the game for way cheaper lol

azure

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:46 pm »
Is there anyone who actually wants this?

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:32:39 pm »
I kind of want it, and I'm not even a SF fan. Looks like it's just a reprinting of the original. Is there anything special to it?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:34:28 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 12:15:25 am »
I love the disclaimer near the bottom:

WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the “Product”) on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire. The SNES hardware is deemed a vintage collectible, so please exercise extreme caution when using the Product and make sure there is fire extinguishment equipment nearby. Use of the Product is at the sole risk of the user. The Product is sold “as is”.  Neither iam8bit, Inc. nor Capcom Co, Ltd. make any representation or warranty, express or implied, of any kind, including any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular use, or that the Product is safe to use, and iam8bit, Inc. or Capcom Co, Ltd. shall have no liability for damage to property or persons arising from use of the Product. Nintendo of America is in no way associated with the release of this Product

I too love that disclaimer!!! The game...not so much.

theflea

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:49:48 am »
at first my reaction was "its just street fighter II, again for $100? why?" But I saw it was backed by Capcom and figured it would be a nice collector's item and caved in and ordered a copy. It will most likely never be played (because I can use my original at any time) just a cool collector's item.
Just wish they added something to it... Maybe better sound, maybe an added character/level that was never in the original Street Fighter II series just something to make $100 (plus $20 shipping) more worth it.
I feel like a sucker but I can't help it. lol  :P
"Happy game hunting!!!"

kashell

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
Interesting, but pass. It's too random for me.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:43 am »
I was IN 100%, until I saw the price tag.  $100 for SFII?  No thank you.  I have it 100x over already. 

At $30, I'd be all over it.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:42 am »
This is one of the reasons why I really don't care about current gen stuff or even nintendo collectibles.

Everything has to be a special edition, collectors edition you name it. Wich are usually far more expensive than regular releases, they take up allot of space and not to mention that were buried allive with many CE Special edition etc these days with pretty much every new game that comes out :P

Fair enough that it is the 30th anniversary of street fighter that they do this, especially considering that other franchises do the same if not more.

If your a hardcore SF fan you would probably get this but I'll pass for sure. I understand why Special editions are more expensive, But i'd rather have normal releases without a special edition like the good old days were Special edition were not for every game and actually special.

While this is not a new game it is just an extra aside from all the collector editions in my eyes following the footsteps of being a collectible and nothing else.

Even if this was cheap I would not get, if someone would give this to me for free i would refuse it's just an Unnecessary collectible in my eyes to fill some shelf space and a nice excuse to spend some ;)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:45:37 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:45:48 am »
well this presents an interesting conundrum.... there are 2 color variation...

Opaque Ryu Headband Red (4,500 total); and Translucent, Glow-in-the-Dark Blanka Green (1K total)

obviously the blanka green one will be more desireable from a collection standpoint but since these are being released 18 years after the discontinuation of the SNES and the ridiculous price tag on the item there will probably only be ~20 of these ever opened. and those will probably be used to make repro's.

for something like this what is the point of making 2 different color variations?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:49:29 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:00:34 pm »

Opaque Ryu Headband Red (4,500 total); and Translucent, Glow-in-the-Dark Blanka Green (1K total)

obviously the blanka green one will be more desireable from a collection standpoint but since these are being released 18 years after the discontinuation of the SNES and the ridiculous price tag on the item there will probably only be ~20 of these ever opened. and those will probably be used to make repro's.

for something like this what is the point of making 2 different color variations?
My thing is, for the $100 a box, they could probably just buy 6000 copies of Street Fighter 2 and just put the board in this new casing... would probably cost less... and they would be official.

If I bought this thing, that's probably the first thing I would do, swap the board with an official one.

telly

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »
I don't know why they would sell a product that wouldn't work in the original hardware. It's almost like they're pushing something faulty to consumers.  ??? Very strange
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:51 pm »

To tease the hardcore collectors to get multiple copies to get a blanka one wich is 1 on 5 to get if I might guess.

Easier to sell but annoying at the same time for those collectors.

I don't know why they would sell a product that wouldn't work in the original hardware. It's almost like they're pushing something faulty to consumers.  ??? Very strange

Probably just as good as an original cart but since it is not made by nintendo themselves they need to place the message as a warning wich is probably not necessary, only for formalities if I might guess since it was made by a 3rd party for an old system wich has been discontinued for quite some time. That being said pretty much no one who buys this will probably use this cart  ::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:14:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 12:24:49 pm »
A lot of folks are speculating that it is just a legal disclaimer to cover their butts in case it DOES happen, because they aren't official boards, but rather repros.

I've never heard of a repro causing a system to catch fire... but who knows.