Author Topic: Virtual Console or an Achievement System. Which does Switch need more?  (Read 1428 times)

Which of these two additions would you most rather see the Nintendo Switch implement with their new console? :) 

First we have classic retro arcade hall of nostalgic digital gems we all know and love returning to the Switch world with maybe even GameCube and Wii U games ported this time around with epic switch portability?  :D

Or the essential and benefitial system of earning trophies and achievements that has become almost common practice in modern gaming. :)

For me, I never thought i'd say this but I think in 2017 achievements are and should be a 100 percent must.  I think Nintendo keeps getting let off too lightly about it but in all honesty it's a major flaw at this point. And a strategic let down on many fronts.

The biggest thing Switch should implement and they can do it mid launch too because PS3 did, they just have to act fast and maybe they can even add them to Zelda giving us a second playthrough out of it :).  I find myself having trouble buying any switch game that is multi platform.  How could I not buy it on Xbox when they give me more game? Sonic Mania and NBA 2K18 two prime examples of this decision making winning me over. But then Switch of course has portability which always wins me over as well.  So it's always a tough decision. Xbox gives more replay value on all games because of the added achievements, Game DVR at the touch of a button ect...   Portability is always going to pull me to Switch's way but lately I have been torn between them. I feel switch is giving up easy wins by not having the simple trophy system in place. :)

But with that said I can only imagine the extra fun I would have had collecting say (mario gold coins) in Zelda and trying to get all the accomplishments in game.  It's truly an added element to gaming that they don't capitalize on.  :)

What addition do you wish would be added to Switch? 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:46:27 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: Virtual Console or an Achievement System. Which does Switch need more?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:48 am »
I think... knowing Nintendo... if they ever did implement an achievement system, it would be functional.

Before they killed off Miiverse, I was hoping that they would do a Stamp based achievement system, where you unlocked Miiverse stamps for achieving things.

At this point... I have no clue.  Maybe it would tie into the My Nintendo Rewards, earning Platinum coins.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:48:17 am »
I think... knowing Nintendo... if they ever did implement an achievement system, it would be functional.

Before they killed off Miiverse, I was hoping that they would do a Stamp based achievement system, where you unlocked Miiverse stamps for achieving things.

At this point... I have no clue.  Maybe it would tie into the My Nintendo Rewards, earning Platinum coins.

Ooooh I love the idea of having stamps as achievements as I love collecting lots of things. The idea of having your stamps in a stamp book, and having a stamp book for every game you play, like how nintendo did that in Nintendo Land.

The only problem I have with achievement systems is how worth it its is to get the achievements. Playstation achievements give you a rank on your trophies and a platinum trophy for collecting them all in a game. Xbox achievements and gamerscore is alright, although it could be more organized (and not just a large multi-digit number without a sense of scale). Steam achievements are basically useless. All in all, if they do implement them, but don't give an incentive or reward you anything other than bragging rights, they might as well just not put up the effort of doing that kind of thing.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:46 pm »

Ooooh I love the idea of having stamps as achievements as I love collecting lots of things. The idea of having your stamps in a stamp book, and having a stamp book for every game you play, like how nintendo did that in Nintendo Land.

The only problem I have with achievement systems is how worth it its is to get the achievements. Playstation achievements give you a rank on your trophies and a platinum trophy for collecting them all in a game. Xbox achievements and gamerscore is alright, although it could be more organized (and not just a large multi-digit number without a sense of scale). Steam achievements are basically useless. All in all, if they do implement them, but don't give an incentive or reward you anything other than bragging rights, they might as well just not put up the effort of doing that kind of thing.
I believe there was a time when playstation trophies could net you physical goods, but maybe it was a dream.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:22 pm »
Virtual Console is vastly more important.  I personally think achievement systems are utterly pointless, but I know some people like extra things to show completion for a game, so maybe it'll happen eventually.  I just want to easily carry around some classic games and it's ridiculously stupid that Nintendo still hasn't put out the VC yet lol I know the Switch was rushed to release, but come on!

spac316

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:05 pm »
The VC should be the priority over an achievement system to me. I mean, achievements I could take or leave it. But they need to get going on the VC ASAP.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 09:58:18 pm »
The VC should be the priority over an achievement system to me. I mean, achievements I could take or leave it. But they need to get going on the VC ASAP.

This ^
Currently Playing
Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, Persona 3/4/5

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:37 am »
On the one hand I agree that the VC would vastly increase the library for the Switch, make them some easy money, and make a ton of people happy...

On the other hand, I own mostly every VC game I would want physically, so I would much rather see new content and I wouldn't buy VC games anyway, so VC doesn't directly affect me.  But an achievement system would be useless entirely if it doesn't serve a functional purpose.  If the achievement system serves a functional purpose, I'd much rather see that.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:16 am »
I have never really cared about achievements in games. I feel like they add arbitrary value to a game and unless it's a game you are really, really invested in I don't see the point. On the other hand the VC and digital delivery of older games is a lot more useful for those unfamiliar with emulation or who don't own the original games and hardware.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:52:07 am »
Give some sort of reward of obtaining the achievements or I couldn't care less.

But either way yeah, the Virtual Console would is a way to expand the switch's library with little effort and obviously would make more money. Achivements are a feature that, while potentially fun, don't really affect much in the long run and are by no means outright needed.

pizzasafari

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »
Virtual console. I've come to realise I prefer the experience of playing a game without any achievements/trophies. I find when I play games with them in place I focus too much on those and worrying about what I might be missing instead of just enjoying the game. I've enjoyed the Switch a lot for that.

I've got a lot of hope for the Switch and I really like it as a console so I really hope it keeps getting more games. Virtual console is the best way for it to do that.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 03:08:27 pm »
I'll tell you what the Switch need more than anything.  It need to completely ripoff Xbox Live.  Get that damn online working.  Give us some party chat.  Do it now!

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:33:07 am »
I'll tell you what the Switch need more than anything.  It need to completely ripoff Xbox Live.  Get that damn online working.  Give us some party chat.  Do it now!

Yes to all of this! I picked up the switch on launch day and I’ve had a ton with it, but I’m still waiting for more features to be released. Picking up Super Mario Odyssey and Doom in the next few weeks. I just need to budget so I can still leave some dough for my retro pickups.