Author Topic: Which gaming stereotype do you hate most? Which are you most like?  (Read 6700 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Which gaming stereotype do you hate most? Which are you most like?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 02:31:49 pm »
I remember 10 years ago, on the Playstation forums collectors were speculating, and buying up every copy of East Bunny's Big Day on PS1 assuming that it would one day become by far the most valuable PS1 game. About 10 years later, no such luck. It may have increased a little, but so has everything else the past 10 years.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »
I remember 10 years ago, on the Playstation forums collectors were speculating, and buying up every copy of East Bunny's Big Day on PS1 assuming that it would one day become by far the most valuable PS1 game. About 10 years later, no such luck. It may have increased a little, but so has everything else the past 10 years.

A game store pretty far up from where I live has had this game complete for about 2-years now at $25. I thought about buying it last year when I was up there, but decided against it since I genuinely have no interest in it despite it being on of the last official PS1 games released. Last I checked it is still worth about that much. But yeah, I remember that mass speculation that was going on for that title.

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »

A game store pretty far up from where I live has had this game complete for about 2-years now at $25. I thought about buying it last year when I was up there, but decided against it since I genuinely have no interest in it despite it being on of the last official PS1 games released. Last I checked it is still worth about that much. But yeah, I remember that mass speculation that was going on for that title.

There's one on eBay right now for about $12 I think.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 06:09:05 pm »
Here’s one that hasn’t been mentioned:

The Hater - Thinks it makes them look cool or edgy to criticize a popular game/franchise without having actually played it (or having judged it after playing for 5 minutes, just so they could claim they tried it)

Not sure if I fall into that category or not, as there are a few popular series I don’t care for, like Halo, but I’ve actually played them first...well, the first and part of the second. I had to really push myself to finish Combat Evolved because I found it INCREDIBLY boring. And I never played online (I have no interest in online functionality) so that’s not a factor. I gave Halo 2 a chance to sway my opinion, but after a little while I concluded it was just as boring.

I used to be a Nintendo Fanboy. I’ve always been impressed by the quality of their products and even during the 16-bit wars, I read the SNES was technically superior, so I made sure people knew it :p
Then I bought a Genesis from a classmate...still wasn’t impressed until I got Revenge of Shinobi, which blew me away. I actually haven’t bought a Nintendo console since the Wii because they’ve just been too “gimmicky” for my taste.

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 11:24:09 pm »
Edge Lord

The edge lord is someone typically found on forums or xbox live chat that deliberately says the most vile and obscene things with the intent to offend people and than make fun of them for getting offended by it.   Will often use the N word or homophobic slang combined with anti religion, fascist rhetoric with the pure intent to make people mad.   Often times starts at the age of 5 squeaking in your ear drums over a cheap mic and carries the unpleasant trait until they are a adult.     COD, Halo and GTA franchises bear the most of these. :)
And they are often like Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when you see them in their every day life as they can be the shyest or nicest friends you know when confronted with actual people who may beat them up.   

Ex. Leafy

I love all the new additions everyone has been adding :).  I forgot about a lot of these cringey stereotypes.  The one that offends me the most is the one that buys games and destroys them so prices go up.  I never heard of that near where I live and it sounds like what hell will be like. Just satan scooping flintstones suprise at dinosaur peak copies and tossing them into a ball of fire.  :(

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 12:26:50 am »
My least favorite stereotype is the judge mental type i feel there is no wrong way to collect. Big or small collections whatever makes you happy from games to comics or rocks for that matter it's all personal opinion.

You make a good point. I just recently got back into collecting after selling off my last collection to help with a down payment on a home. I feel judged at my age (31) for collecting retro video games. Everyone has their own hobby. Mine just happens to be pixels on a screen!  ;D

spac316

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 02:41:04 pm »
I certainly don't like the "PC Master Race" douche-bags. Yeah, the current top of the line gaming PC is more powerful than the current consoles and it's fine if that's what you prefer, but you don't have to be an elitist dick about it.

Console/company fanboys. Just blindly following a certain console from a certain company without at least giving the other ones a chance is so irritating. I can understand that not everyone can afford to have every console and they have to choose one and stick with it.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »
I call them " Super Critics ", the people who nit pick and dissect everything, then insult you for enjoying the game.

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 02:07:31 am »
I don't really like the perception some people have of video games being bad for the brain and responsible for lack of attention.

I relate though because sometimes I get highly engrossed in them and don't pay as much attention to what other people are saying or the time. (I am also on the autistic spectrum)

However I feel video games are actually good for the brain, they may help our ability to focus, are often pleasurable, develop our hand-eye coordination and often have compelling stories which can help our reading skills and also develop empathy for the characters.

Despite this I identify now as a casual gamer, if I don't feel like playing a game I may simply not play it. Other times I may challenge myself however, as I like to do with the main series Pokémon games to complete the Pokédexes.
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

ffxik

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 02:47:33 am »
I pretty well have a dislike for everything mentioned in the OP.  For pretty much the reasons already mentioned.  I think though outside of the scalper being probably my most hated, with the second going to the PC master race types.  I full well understand the horsepower a PC is capable of, I will not argue that.  It burns my ass though when they belittle others for their preference. 

I unfortunately have fallen prey to "the hater" though.  There are games that I have not played that I do not care for, major releases at that.  For example.  During the modern warfare boom I refused to play them, any of them.  For me setting is a big piece of my game.  I don't like FPS set in a modern frame.  I prefer them set in a historical context or outlandish (Bulletstorm, Doom)  As far as historical is concerned I usually stop around the Vietnam era.  I have lived through the rest, no thanks.

The only other game series that I do this with is GTA.  I played GTA3 on PS2 when it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I didn't care for it, at all.  No particular reason it just didn't click.  I have avoided the series ever since.

If I had to add, it would be ratings scrubs.
That one guy who will mock anybody for purchasing anything Nintendo because they only create childish games.  That they themselves are by and far the more "mature" gamer simply because they purchase games mainly with an M rating.  Everytime I deal with one of these individuals this is all that runs through my mind.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:56:51 am by ffxik »

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 03:05:22 am »
I don't really like the perception some people have of video games being bad for the brain and responsible for lack of attention.

This? I can relate to. and I have to say religious organizations who have the mindset that video games are bad for the youth, just plain annoy me. >:( I teach Godly word on my Facebook page and I can tell you that people who cause riots over, lets say, (video games brainwash the youth) it just makes my blood angry,

I mean if parents don't want their kids into violent video game than they can buy sports games for their kids, but SOME PEOPLE, say ALL video games are bad. in fact their is a Facebook Fan page all about a protest against all video games. and it don't have vary many likes, I mean compared to mine

I often wounder how many fake likes that other page has
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:08:10 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 06:14:09 pm »

This? I can relate to. and I have to say religious organizations who have the mindset that video games are bad for the youth, just plain annoy me. >:( I teach Godly word on my Facebook page and I can tell you that people who cause riots over, lets say, (video games brainwash the youth) it just makes my blood angry,

I mean if parents don't want their kids into violent video game than they can buy sports games for their kids, but SOME PEOPLE, say ALL video games are bad. in fact their is a Facebook Fan page all about a protest against all video games. and it don't have vary many likes, I mean compared to mine

I often wounder how many fake likes that other page has

Yes. I feel people can be quite closed-minded at times and it makes me feel sad. :( I believe in God too but am personally agnostic-theist, although I relate to Christianity also Buddhism, and I like to look for the spiritual meaning in what the Bible says. I think people can take word out of context or not accept the other side of things (I do believe everything has two sides to it), and that can lead to conflict.

But yeah, its good not all people view video games as bad. :)
Nintendo collector/creator and aspiring mother. ✿

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 03:32:21 pm »
Scalpers are greedy jerks, I'd say their easily the most despicable.  Fanboys and pc master race are pretty bad too..I don't really get the idea that if you play games a certain way EVERYONE ELSE should too

One type I've noticed is The Elitist. They'll throw around the term "True Gamer" even though such a thing doesn't really exist, will go on about how people who have a preference for casual games or anything else they don't like aren't "real gamers", and will take offense at people who they think don't qualify as gamers labelling themselves as such. Overall they seem to be convinced video games are a very serious lifestyle rather than just a hobby, and treat it like it's some sort of super secret club you have to earn entry to.

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 04:46:49 pm »
One type I've noticed is The Elitist. They'll throw around the term "True Gamer" even though such a thing doesn't really exist, will go on about how people who have a preference for casual games or anything else they don't like aren't "real gamers", and will take offense at people who they think don't qualify as gamers labelling themselves as such. Overall they seem to be convinced video games are a very serious lifestyle rather than just a hobby, and treat it like it's some sort of super secret club you have to earn entry to.

This. A gamer is literally just someone who enjoys playing video games.

thefr0zenanus

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:04 am »
I can't stand Nostalgists (Genesis-era Sonic fans, who disregard anything after Sonic 3K. are a good example) or Company-Fanboys