Author Topic: Does your collecting ever shift gears?  (Read 2586 times)

soera

Re: Does your collecting ever shift gears?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
Ive had "strange" from time to time. When I originally started, it was PS1 RPGs. As I acquired all the ones I was wanting, I branched out toward all RPGs and eventually NES (with the wife's interest in that one). I then turned to SMS and as that finished, I toned down and went straight PS4.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »
Ive had "strange" from time to time. When I originally started, it was PS1 RPGs. As I acquired all the ones I was wanting, I branched out toward all RPGs and eventually NES (with the wife's interest in that one). I then turned to SMS and as that finished, I toned down and went straight PS4.

"Toned down" my ass.  I've seen your game room.  That's a whole lot of ps4 games to get

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 04:22:21 pm »
Absolutely I used to be a huge nintendo fanboy I hated sega but now I'm a big genesis/dreamcast fan but Nintendo will always be my #1

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 06:12:04 pm »
2008 -2009: Collected almost only North American Saturn and N64 games here and there.

2010 - 2014 : I collected pretty much everything and anything from the NES and newer, having somewhat more of a focus on N64, Dreamcast, SNES, and PS2. This was sort of my golden era of collecting as I used to hunt all the time and I often found tons of great stuff. 80% of my collection was built during this time.

2014-2016: My collecting definitely became a lot more focused since many of the games I'd been after for years were now in my collection. I started collecting a lot of PS1 and DS during this time, especially PS1. I also started making a push to complete my cartridge only games, mainly N64. I also began downsizing a little at this time, mostly for consoles I realized I wasn't that into. These include NES, Sega CD, some SNES, and some Genesis.

2017-present: Since the beginning of this year I have become somewhat of a non-collector; I still buy games and add them to my collection, but only ones that I know I'll play within a month or so. I almost buy no retro games anymore despite loving them still. I have downsized probably 20% of my overall collection since January, mostly the retro stuff and have began selling games that I play that I either do not like or do not like enough to justify holding onto them given what they are worth. I have also become way more of an actual gamer in that I love to play games way more than collect them which was the opposite up until this year. 95% of all games I buy now are modern games and I now do a lot of MAME and emulation now as well even if I actually own the game I'm emulating.

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:44 pm »
Not really since i've never had one console I liked to collect more than the other, I just buy whatever game I find interested. The console it is on really don't matter to me.

freeztag

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:18 pm »
My problem is It's hard to turn off the buying.

I see cheap games in garage sales or online locally and can't help but to get them before someone else does.

I love the hunt.
I was quite the adventurer, until I took an arrow to the knee...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 08:57:41 am »

I see cheap games in garage sales or online locally and can't help but to get them before someone else does.

I love the hunt.

That's no joke.  I have a legit hard time leaving stuff laying.  It's tough for me. I can't pass up a deal

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:16 am »

I love the hunt.

That's no joke.  I have a legit hard time leaving stuff laying.  It's tough for me. I can't pass up a deal

what kind of deals are we talking about, shovel ware for dirt cheap or legitimate deals of good games for sometimes bargains

In the last kind I'm pretty sure almost all have a hard time leaving such deals.

I will say though if you collect all including shovelware you will need to pick these dirt cheap deals up since you won't find it cheaper especially when you would need to add shipping when buying them online but otherwise It's not like your missing anything.

Shovelware is not sports games only, there are far more shovelware non sport titles than one might think.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:19:53 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »
Oh, definitely. I'm not a completionist, so I only buy games that interest me on a console. Eventually I clear out what looks good, and switch machines until other stuff comes to my attention. The biggest changes come when I do something that branches fully away from my usual behavior- like when I bought my first $100+ game (Lunar 2 on the Sega CD, CIB.) Breaking that mental barrier opened up a lot of new options I'd previously never considered outside of a lucky find- I finally decided to get a Saturn, for example.

I'm thinking next year I'm gonna break another personal barrier, and give digital games a serious go. I hate not having a physical copy, so there's only a tiny handful of digital games on my systems. At this point though, it's become blatantly obvious that most of what interests me is digital nowadays, so it's high time I get used to it.

Maybe I'll even make a Steam account...

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 03:50:53 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:17:08 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »
Let me guess shot gun collecting is buying multiple games at ones focusing on multiple things as in the spread shot of a shot gun.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 04:43:56 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:17:03 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 06:01:32 pm »
Let me guess shot gun collecting is buying multiple games at ones focusing on multiple things as in the spread shot of a shot gun.

Yup.   8)  Though, I sense sarcasm from your post.   :P  Haha.

I had no clue just guessed on the real life shot gun concept no sarcasm here  :D

I would say I'd follow the ways of second-rate sniper rifle collecting ;)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:04:47 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:03 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:16:53 pm by jce3000gt »

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:05 pm »

Yup.   8)  Though, I sense sarcasm from your post.   :P  Haha.

I had no clue just guessed on the real life shot gun concept no sarcasm here  :D

I would say I'd follow the ways of second-rate sniper rifle collecting ;)

Second rate sniper collecting...  Is that like aiming for one target but hitting the bloke behind them instead?   ;D

You could put it that way   :D