Author Topic: Does your collecting ever shift gears?  (Read 2589 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Does your collecting ever shift gears?
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:37 am »
I've always been a Nintendo collector.  That's what the majority of my collection is.  I've noticed that my most wanted games these days are heading in the Sega direction.  I know!  Heresy, right?  I'm looking a lot of Dreamcast and Genesis games that I don't have.  I think my collecting is starting to shift towards Sega stuff. 

Don't worry, Nintendo.  You'll always be #1 in my heart.  Daddy is just after a little strange.

Has your collecting ever shifted?  Do you just look up and see you're headed in a new direction?

Re: Does your collecting ever shift gears?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:54 am »
Oh for sure.  When I started out it was mostly Nintendo as well.  Mostly SNES.  Then I realized that I really like PS2 and started going at it.  Went from like 100 to like 500 pretty quick.  Now I'm really close to a full set of N64 so that's my priority.

azure

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:53:56 am »
Definitely it changes gears often I would say, with certain things that never shift though. Sometimes I get really into hunting for a certain console, sometimes it's certain games.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:55:43 am »
It sure does. I usually stick to my favorite genres, but the consoles those genres are on will be all over the place.

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 12:12:13 pm »
It certainly does. I can think of these focuses

NES (early-mid 90s)
Genesis and Saturn (mid-late 90s)
PC (mid 90s-2000)
PS2 and PlayStation (2001-2008)
Saturn (2006-2010)
Daytona USA and After Burner (2010-2012)
Master System (2010-2011)
Genesis (2011-2013)
everything (2013-2016)
Genesis (2016)
PC and Genesis (2017)

I think those years make sense.

telly

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 12:23:28 pm »
I'm still building my collection and grabbing those big consoles, games and franchises. It's been that way since I started seriously collection, which was about 4 or 5 years ago.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

shepard11

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 12:35:31 pm »
I'd say mine shifts all the time. Right now I'm really into my Wii U and those damn amiibos. But I never pass up a Dreamcast or Game Gear I'm missing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »
I really am just a cheapskate. I go for most anything that's looks good and is $20-$30 or under.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »
I really am just a cheapskate. I go for most anything that's looks good and is $20-$30 or under.

Be careful.  That's how I amassed a eff-ton of games.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 01:13:41 pm »
Mine tend to shift based on what ever I'm playing at the time. I just resurrected my vita so I could play Ys VIII and I've already picked up like 6 new vita games in the last week.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:23 pm »

Samesies.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 01:17:14 pm »
I suffer from collecting mood swings lol.  I used to be on a huge PS2 kick than got obsessed with Wii U, than I wanted every good Wii game, I was buying SNES for a little bit,  I started collecting with only NES games when I first started collecting than expanded to other consoles.  Now ive been only focusing on new releases for Xbox One and Switch and amiibos and not so much retro but I do want Mario Strikers for GC and have a craving for a ColecoVision for some reason :).

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »
Prob on a monthly basis my main focus changes consoles. I've always been that way. Earlier this year it was Game Gear, then Wii U, then Saturn, then PS4, and now Wii.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 02:34:32 pm »

Me too, though I don't have quite the shit-ton you do.

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »
Pretty much depends what people decide to get rid of.

If It's a great deal I'm game if there is some interesting stuff that I need that is.

I will avoid atari like the plague though  ;)

In the past I started collecting only nintendo: gamecube and gba to be exact. Later on I branched out to sony and sega since apparently some nintendo series or certain genre's were also on these consoles. And the Snes looked allot like the gba so yea It's only natural.

Only had nintendo stuff at home back than but my friends had sony and sega games. I was mainly a nintendo guy back than.

Ever since I retrieved old arcade games that I have played as a kid and games such as second samurai. I Forgot the titles but came across them by chance Great stuff  ;D

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:31:28 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!