Author Topic: Outdated Or Funny Storylines In Retro Video Games  (Read 742 times)

Outdated Or Funny Storylines In Retro Video Games
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:27:43 am »
Ok so my first post goes like this. I own Duke Nukem 3D and the Duke It Out In DC expansion and it's storytelling is. oh god.

US. President Bill Clinton has been abducted by aliens and you DUKE must rescue US President Bill Clinton from certain doom. so as the game progresses in which is a great expansion by the way you get to the final boss and at the far end of the level you find Bill Clinton tied to a swivel chair, defeat the boss you get a photo screen with some text thanking duke from Bill Clinton. then and Duke Nukem and Bill Clinton shake hands and then the game ends.

Looking at this games story-line to todays standards I mean could you image a videogame plot where president Donald Trump gets abducted by aliens or even Obama and you would have to go rescue him or them :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:33:42 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: Outdated Or Funny Storylines In Retro Video Games
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:50 am »
There's a Japanese game for the original Xbox where the US President pilots a mech and fights terrorists. I could 100% see them remaking that game with Obama.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:05:13 am »
I think a lot of the late 90s/early 2000s JRPGs have fairly outdated stores in the sense that they all use many of the same tropes and themes to where some of them almost become interchangable. At the time they were released we had very few games like this so these plot devices and character types were novel and interesting, but now they are almost a joke by today's standards since we've since become spoiled with the amount of JRPGs that get released her now. Don't get me wrong, I am still pretty sentimental for many JRPGs from that time period, but they do come across as silly, especially if it's a game I never played back in the day.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:17 pm »
I discovered the hard way it's best not to overthink the opening bits of Final Fantasy 12. I was playing it and enjoying it thoroughly back in the day, and found myself explaining things to a visitor. I started with my favorite guy, Basch. This is what I ended up saying:

So, that's Basch- he was a knight of Dalmasca, but got blamed for killing the king- he didn't do it though, it was his evil twin brotheroh my god- I SWEAR it's not that dumb in the game! I SWEAR!

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:40:03 am »
Those NES games that take place in the year "200X", so somewhere between 2000 and 2010. Then there's Street Fighter 2010 and wow, not the 2010 I remember.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:04:29 am »
In regards to the OP:

Duke Nukem was never meant to be taken seriously, even in 1997. It was always tongue-in-cheek