Author Topic: Are you sold on 4k or are you still waiting on it?  (Read 3627 times)

Re: Are you sold on 4k or are you still waiting on it?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
If something happens to my current TV, I'll upgrade to 4K, but I'm not gonna replace my existing TV.

For me, while UHD is nice, it's still not mainstream enough to be essential and I feel the jump from HD to UHD is tiny compared to the jump that was SD to HD.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 05:14:43 pm »
Full disclosure: I work for Roku.

I have 3 55inch flat screen tvs.

The one in my studio is a 5 year old LG 1080p 3D TV. (Oldest of the bunch) it cost me $2,500 new and I’ve been happy with it for 5 years as a gaming TV.

In my bedroom is an Insignia 4k Roku TV (without HDR) that I purchased last year from Best Buy on sale for $430.

In my living room is this years Sharp 4k Roku TV with HDR that retails for around $800 when not on sale.

Plugged into it I have an Xbox One X Scorpio edition and a standard PS4.

For PS3 3D content (pinball Arcade mainly) I still like my 5 year old LG. The display lag is about 23-32ms with all the special features turned off. Color is pretty good for the most part but it loses a lot of detail in bright and dark scenes.

The tv in the bedroom is ok. It’s 4k and the color is alright but high contrast scenes have an obviously visible gradient. I haven’t gamed on this tv

The one in the living room blows my mind. The colors are dead on to me and the detail in bright and dark scenes (especially with HDR content) has to be seen to be believed.

Playing X1X on this thing I finally feel like next gen gaming has arrived. Ironically the first game to make me feel this way was the X1X enhanced Mirrors Edge from the 360 played through backward compatibility. The buildings are razor sharp and the HDR is very impressive in game.

The display lag is somewhere between 10-15ms which is the lowest I’ve ever had in a flat screen tv of this size.

Most Netflix originals are now available in 4k many with HDR. The difference is huge. Amazing Prime Video originals are also in 4k HDR now.

Vudu now supports 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content.

Things have advanced a lot in just 5 years. A good 4k TV with HDR can make a huge difference and doesn’t have to break the bank.

Checkout the Sharp or the TCL P series of Roku tvs this year and keep your eyes out for sales.

Here is a Best Buy link to the 55 inch TCL p series:
https://www.bestbuy.com//site/tcl-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

It’s currently $600.

Here is the avsforums assessment calling it one of the best tvs currently available for gaming so you don’t have to take my word for it:
http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-4k-hdr-roku-tv-is-great-for-gaming/

Here is avsforums technical look talking about color accuracy, etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:32:17 am by dashv »

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:32 pm »
I'm not all in on 4k yet either. I don't think we're quite there yet in terms of prices. Currently, I use an ultra-wide monitor and love it, may wait until the next step with ultra-wide.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:52:48 pm »
I will get a 4k display once I get something that requires it.

This is pretty much my take- hell, I only upgraded to LED from CRT last year!

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
I really wonder if there is something better than 4K atm not available for consumers.

I mean the best crt tv's for retrogames were only proffesionally used and not available to the normal consumer back in the day located in broadcast studio's etc etc.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:17:57 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 09:34:57 am »
I really wonder if there is something better than 4K atm not available for consumers.

I mean the best crt tv's for retrogames were only proffesionally used and not available to the normal consumer back in the day located in broadcast studio's etc etc.

8k.

insektmute

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 05:28:24 pm »
I wish I could completely get behind it, but there are a few things that hold me back:

- All sub-4K content, which is the vast majority of movies, games, etc, has to be upscaled.
- 4k, 60fps content requires massive GPU power. To hit 60fps, this means something on the order of a 1080 Ti, SLi, or Crossfire setup, which is not exactly affordable even by high-end standards.
- Games that do run natively at 4K are often only 30fps. If you've never played higher framerates, this probably seems irrelevant, but 60-120fps and correspondingly high refresh rates is what we should all be striving for. The "30fps is more cinematic" idea people are trying to sell is uneducated nonsense.
- Many games need to be visually cut back to run at adequate framerates in 4K. The resolution bump makes up for some of this, but it's a crapshoot.
- Longer term, until ISPs get off their butts and upgrade their infrastructure, we're going to hit bandwidth problems very quickly, especially with companies like Comcast implementing data caps. 30-60GB downloads pile up VERY fast.

Much as I hate IGN, this touches on a lot of what I'm talking about - http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences
Most native 4K games are older, and numerous others have texture/shadow/lighting trimmed back selectively to keep the framerate reasonable, or are just upscaled.

In about 3-5 years, we'll be in better shape, but right now? Meh.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 07:08:32 am »
I think 4K and HDR are cool, but I rarely upgrade to such things right away. I didn't get my own HDTV until a few years ago. It was $140 pre-owned from one of my brother's college roommates, and it's really not the best one on the market. So by the time I get 4K something better will probably be on the horizon.

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 02:55:42 pm »
I think it would be cool to watch movies and shows mostly. in 4kk But I'm an AV component retro gamer in which everything I use is AV cables. I currently own an RCA CRT that is jet black and has no HDMI output. so I am way behind when it comes to even 1080p. It kinda sucks because I cannot use the NES classic or the SNES classic without a downgrade converter. But that's ok with me because my television still works fine, it was barely used when I got it this year, or last year.

MY avatar displays the graphics of my PS3 running on only AV output only
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:58:25 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

tripredacus

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:53 am »
MY avatar displays the graphics of my PS3 running on only AV output only

AV? What kind of AV?