Author Topic: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?  (Read 14161 times)

Re: Why do many retro gamers hate on the Xbox?
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2019, 12:06:41 am »
I have to say some of the early xbox original games had way better graphics than what the PlayStation 2 had in it's early stages.

and, even some of the later stages, lets look at "Halo: Combat Evolved" came out late 2001. Also and just look at Halo Combat Evolved's graphics compared to other tv console 2001 first person shooters released the year 2001 on the PlayStation 2 and GameCube

"Links 2004" was a 2003 release for the original xbox console by developer Bungie. and it is the best looking  golf video game graphically,  of the entire 6th generation of console in my opinion.

Even some later PS2 games didn't have as much detail as some of the earliest original  xbox games. Lets just look at a later golf game on the PlayStation 2. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 in which came out in the year 2009 on the PlayStation 2.

this 2009 golf video game release on the ps2 at least, to me still does not compare graphically to the 2003 release of Links 2004. exclusive to the xbox original

for those who do not know Links 2004 is a great golf video game and it's one of the exclusives to the original xbox console
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:25:00 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2019, 02:58:21 am »
I think when it comes down to it, the main factor is the lack of exclusives, I can only think of a handfull & when you  then compare it the monster line up the PS2 has... it really can't compete.

I've been gathering more orginal Xbox games recently due to the value with backwards compatibility on the 360 and I've found a few hidden gems for sure, so I think it is an okay system but certainly not one of my favourites.

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2019, 03:51:21 am »
I think when it comes down to it, the main factor is the lack of exclusives, I can only think of a handfull & when you  then compare it the monster line up the PS2 has... it really can't compete.

I've been gathering more orginal Xbox games recently due to the value with backwards compatibility on the 360 and I've found a few hidden gems for sure, so I think it is an okay system but certainly not one of my favourites.

"Links 2004" does work with my Xbox 360. But I have a harddrive in mine.

I'm not sure about the newer generation Xbox One. But the "Links 2004" golf game is worth checking out for Xbox original collectors, and unlike Halo Combat Evolved also developed by Bungie this Links 2004 game  is strictly an xbox game it has no PC port or other kind of port of this particular Links series golf game

it's also the newest in the links golf series as of the date of this post and it looks kinda like it could have been a PlayStation 3 game

I know not everyone likes golf, but back before I got big into collecting I bought a golf game on PS2 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2002 one of the first games I ever picked up. I didn't think I'd even like it, but when I started to play this other game it propelled me to grab every single golf game I could get.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:58:28 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2019, 04:49:20 am »
While golf games aren't for me I understand what you mean by having unique titles or even titles play better through the Xbox Discs. For example, I am currently playing through the Shenmue series before the release of the 3rd game in November (SO EXCITED!!!) & While the game got a current gen port, I can't stand the Aspect Ratio, I can get by Shenmue 1 but Shenmue 2 has cutscenes in 4:3 & Letterboxed which is unforgivable! They even showed these scenes in Fullscreen on the trailers... So, I resort to playing my Xbox Disc of Shenmue 2 on my 360 & stretch the screen slightly with one of the screen resolutions on the 360 & it is my ideal way to play the game & how I shall be playing the game on my next playthrough!

I have also recently bought many games I have on PS2 that are backwards compatible on the 360 like Buronout 3: TakeDown, Bards Tales & Crash Twinsanity or even PS2 games which got 360 releases like Gun & Just Cause 1! I like having a superior way to play my games & I think when the generation is over, I can see myself moving over to an XBOX ONE X for the 4K capability - Unless the PS5 goes all out on backwards compatibility!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 04:50:52 am by vivigamer »

sworddude

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2019, 05:07:00 am »
I have to say some of the early xbox original games had way better graphics than what the PlayStation 2 had in it's early stages.

No shit. the ps2 was the weakest console of it's generation

gamecube had twice the power and xbox 3 to 4 times compared to ps2

It was no surpise why a ton of gamecube especially first party titles looked way better than any ps2 game.

You would imagine with titles such as gta that ps2 was at least 2nd best but it was the weakest console by quite a margin. the only thing holding gamecube back where the small discs in wich they could store less memory than on normal discs wich was to prevent piracy.

ironicly even in the xbox one era. xbox still is the most powerfull console but yet again with very few exclusives just like on the original xbox. i guess in the case of  microsoft some things just never change.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:22:24 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2020, 08:05:06 pm »
I just got an Original Xbox yesterday, and I love it! it has a fantastic hardrive. Most of them OG Xbox consoles have  8-10 gigabyte hard drive. Technically speaking 50,000 blocks. You can put a ton of OG Xbox games on that this I think

Unlike the PS2 in most cases you need special software for a harddrive to work in a PlayStation 2 console and memory cards are 8mb on all PlayStation 2 compatible memory cards.

I bought an original Xbox because I'm having emulation issues on my Xbox360. I have a lagging controller that lagged (unplayable) when I last play Halo 1 & Halo 2 on the Xbox360. and my controller doesn't lag on all the rest of my OG xbox games. Halo Master Cheif collection it's even a problem on the Xbox One consoles according to the internet, on all wired controllers for the Xbox One's and windows PC's are lagging to.

I don't have a lot of OG Xbox games so I am hoping I'll never need to buy another OG Xbox for a while

NO APPS NEEDED

Warmsignal

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:53 am »
I just got an Original Xbox yesterday, and I love it! it has a fantastic hardrive. Most of them OG Xbox consoles have  8-10 gigabyte hard drive. Technically speaking 50,000 blocks. You can put a ton of OG Xbox games on that this I think

Unlike the PS2 in most cases you need special software for a harddrive to work in a PlayStation 2 console and memory cards are 8mb on all PlayStation 2 compatible memory cards.

I bought an original Xbox because I'm having emulation issues on my Xbox360. I have a lagging controller that lagged (unplayable) when I last play Halo 1 & Halo 2 on the Xbox360. and my controller doesn't lag on all the rest of my OG xbox games. Halo Master Cheif collection it's even a problem on the Xbox One consoles according to the internet, on all wired controllers for the Xbox One's and windows PC's are lagging to.

I don't have a lot of OG Xbox games so I am hoping I'll never need to buy another OG Xbox for a while

It's always good to keep an OG around, although I have to commend Microsoft for their continued efforts towards backwards compatibility. I didn't realize before I had acquired my XB1 that it supports backwards compatibility with a good chuck of 360 games, and even some OG games as well. Strangely enough, not Halo or Halo 2. I suppose because the Masterchief Collection is a thing. From what I've heard, they finally patched the game in December and fixed a lot of the bugs and lagging, and it also includes ODST and Reach now. It may now be worth actually picking up.

sworddude

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2020, 05:05:26 am »

It's always good to keep an OG around, although I have to commend Microsoft for their continued efforts towards backwards compatibility. I didn't realize before I had acquired my XB1 that it supports backwards compatibility with a good chuck of 360 games, and even some OG games as well. Strangely enough, not Halo or Halo 2. I suppose because the Masterchief Collection is a thing. From what I've heard, they finally patched the game in December and fixed a lot of the bugs and lagging, and it also includes ODST and Reach now. It may now be worth actually picking up.

Well original xbox consoles might break down pretty fast at some point. Microsoft made an error with an original clock capicatator that breaks down and literally eats the boards when not removed making the console unusable as a result. for a ton of original xbox consoles those capicatotors are already damaging the boards so it's a ticking time bomb when most original xbox consoles will die

To make things worse. Microsoft fixed this issue but only with 1 maybe 2 of their models. Only the latest model having that guaranteed improved capictator the 1.6 variant usually 2004 + era. meaning versions 1.0 to 1.5 are all with those time bomb capicatators. Some 1.5 models have the improved capicatator aswell but rarely.

kinda ironic actually. how many xbox 360 consoles where trash as well with that red ring of dead. havent heard to much bad stuff about sony. i wouldnt be suprisied if the xbox one also had some problems
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:08:05 am by sworddude »

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2020, 08:50:55 am »

Well original xbox consoles might break down pretty fast at some point. Microsoft made an error with an original clock capicatator that breaks down and literally eats the boards when not removed making the console unusable as a result. for a ton of original xbox consoles those capicatotors are already damaging the boards so it's a ticking time bomb when most original xbox consoles will die

To make things worse. Microsoft fixed this issue but only with 1 maybe 2 of their models. Only the latest model having that guaranteed improved capictator the 1.6 variant usually 2004 + era. meaning versions 1.0 to 1.5 are all with those time bomb capicatators. Some 1.5 models have the improved capicatator aswell but rarely.

kinda ironic actually. how many xbox 360 consoles where trash as well with that red ring of dead. havent heard to much bad stuff about sony. i wouldnt be suprisied if the xbox one also had some problems

Sony had plenty of problems with the YLOD on the PS3. Only the Original Xbox 360's had the red ring of death. Same with Sony and the YLOD. both a bunch of had problems with their early models, both corrected them. All consoles have some problems, and most will die someday.

sworddude

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2020, 11:27:07 am »

Sony had plenty of problems with the YLOD on the PS3. Only the Original Xbox 360's had the red ring of death. Same with Sony and the YLOD. both a bunch of had problems with their early models, both corrected them. All consoles have some problems, and most will die someday.

most especially non disc based consoles are fairly easy to fix to keep em running for a long time afterwards so it's not that big of a problem spare parts or non original replacements exists after all. in the case of the Xbox OG though you need to remove that capicitator or it's unfixable since the board will be beyond repair. That being said though while sony had it's problems I've had way more people complain about xbox consoles than with sony.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:29:06 am by sworddude »

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2020, 01:01:53 pm »

My original Xbox has a loud fan but it survived a long game session. I am hoping that this one will last, the clock is not working at all and so far it appears that the blocks don't count when the data is being used.

this console looks well cared for and so far nothing I purchased from Disc Replay is junk.

Disc replay actually fully test all consoles before selling them again, I seen them do it with another person who brought in a broken PlayStation 2, they refused to pay them anything for bringing in their broken PlayStation 2  I overheard their conversation and they didn't take it, and they were testing it just behind their counter.

it might be a modded console because it came with an electric eye inside the 4th controller slot, I don't know what that does
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:10:20 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

sworddude

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2020, 01:43:45 pm »

My original Xbox has a loud fan but it survived a long game session. I am hoping that this one will last, the clock is not working at all and so far it appears that the blocks don't count when the data is being used.

this console looks well cared for and so far nothing I purchased from Disc Replay is junk.

Disc replay actually fully test all consoles before selling them again, I seen them do it with another person who brought in a broken PlayStation 2, they refused to pay them anything for bringing in their broken PlayStation 2  I overheard their conversation and they didn't take it, and they were testing it just behind their counter.

it might be a modded console because it came with an electric eye inside the 4th controller slot, I don't know what that does

well if the clock isnt working anymore and it isnt a 1.6 and in some cases a1.5 model that clock capicitator might be leaking now damaging the motherboard until it breaks.

only the 2 versions mentioned have a good capicitator that doesnt leak after some years.

Warmsignal

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2020, 01:45:44 pm »

Capacitors are one of the easiest things you can replace on a console. All consoles will break, none were designed flawlessly and yes that includes Sony. I think Biking has mentioned that he's been through a ton of PS2 consoles that died. My PS1's laser went bad around 2002. Lots of people who had the original revision of PS1 had to turn their console on it's side to get it play games. PS3 had YLOD which was not uncommon, and my brother has two of the 60 GB models that died on him, both found to have charred looking transistors and whatnot on their board.

Just look on eBay, there's no shortage of dead consoles regardless of which one. People complain of "moving parts", but there's actually not that many moving parts you need to worry about. A disc drive motor is probably not gonna die, a cooling fan probably won't either and then again it's just a fan. That's an easy fix. What kills a modern console dead is heat, which is nearly unavoidable inside of these consoles. Xbox 360 dies primarily from the GPU coming apart from the board, I believe. That's due to heat damage.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:50:36 pm by Warmsignal »

sworddude

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2020, 05:51:36 pm »
It's pretty easy to remove indeed but if you don't remove it on other consoles it might not damage it like in the case of the og xbox that's the key difference here. There are cases with other consoles obviously but not as bad as with the og xbox. There are even some rare cases that the console might explode even when your not using it when you have a bad clock capicitator and your to lazy to remove it.

obviously dead consoles for all systems will be on ebay. Usage is obviously the main factor that will kill any console at some point. a popular console line like sony will have plenty of dead consoles at some point that's only natural with every console selling over 100 million units.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:03:29 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2020, 06:10:12 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,10611.msg174357.html#msg174357

the last 5 digits of my og Xbox is "32905"

can someone please identify what model this is?

(full serial number)
the manufacture date is "07-19-2003

serial
1267237-32905

product ID
711-1267237-32905

NO APPS NEEDED