Author Topic: Super Famicom vs Super Nintendo. Which is better visually speaking?  (Read 18541 times)

Re: Super Famicom vs Super Nintendo. Which is better visually speaking?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:10 am »
I prefer the rounded shapes on the Super Famicom gear, but the purple color of the SNES seems more mature. Plus, it makes it very easy to help confused parents identify the old Nintendo buried in their garage without me having to see it. I only have to ask 2 questions: 'Was the system grey', and 'Did it have purple buttons?'

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 10:53:11 pm »
I like the cleaner design of the super famicom compared to the rather blocky design of the snes. It's just easier on the eyes

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:52 pm »
I prefer the design of the Super Famicom and the controller with color button.

For the games box, I also prefer the smaller size and the great artwork of the Super Famicom...

But for the cartridge, I prefer the Super Nintendo with the label on top. Its easier to found a game among the loose cartridges.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 02:53:46 am »
I absolutely adore the design of the North American SNES, its probably my favorite looking console of all time. The JP/EU version is.... okay I guess. Really this is no contest for me and I'm continually shocked to be in the minority on this.

The North American controller looks better too, I think, but JP is more comfortable and has the added gameplay of each button being associated with a different color. The rainbow buttons might look generic, they're the type of thing you'd see Spongebob using with his "Gamebox" or whatever, I'd gladly take usefulness of ascetics. NA's inverted X and Y were supposedly there to tell your fingers whether you were on A/B or X/Y but really even as a kid who ever messed that up? A useless feature...

Box doesn't really matter to me, JP is more artsy but thats not always a good thing, NA version is fine too. I'm just going to throw this out here at the same time- NA game boxes have a better style than EU ones, which just look like discount versions of the American packaging. Japan, of course, let companies put whatever they wanted on their boxes so there's some great ones and others that look like anime VHSes.

And as to the carts... I don't know how anyone could possibly chose the Japanese/EU versions, which are an all around pain to store. They lack top labels and are not flat so not only do you have the N64 problem of having to either custom label them or sort through every time, but the mere act of stacking more than three of them up on each other is an exercise in frustration unless you have some sort of nook to shove them into. If you only collect boxed or just have a couple this isn't a problem but if you have even a basic loose collection you'll quickly realize how obnoxious this is.

mrnikon

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 09:30:01 am »
SFC looks better, like the look of the  controlers, hate the short cord they have. Like the cart design.

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 10:06:58 pm »
I prefer the Super Famicom/PAL SNES in every way by far. I've always thought the North American console was horrible.