Author Topic: New VGCollect Android App Released  (Read 28434 times)

jason

New VGCollect Android App Released
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:03:53 pm »
Hello!

We’d like to apologize for the long hiatus in updates regarding the fate of the previous VGC app and the path moving forward.  After some changes to the website, we did not have access to the old code in order to make the changes necessary to keep it functional.  This led us to build a new app from scratch, which can be a time-consuming process.  Again, apologies for our lack of communication. 
   The new app is now release stable and can be found on the Google Play Store.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vgcollect.vgcmobileapp
Currently, our new app has several great features for you to enjoy but, specifically there are a few that we would like to highlight:

Collections, Wish Lists, and Sell Lists will be transferred to the new app from our website.
App defaults to text-only display (can be changed in settings).
Collections are now cached so as to not reload every time you view it.
You can now browse through all of our games.

In addition there are a few features we’ll be working on to deliver to you in the near future:

A more Mobile-friendly User Interface!
Pull Down to Refresh! (Instead of a button)
A delete button!
Various Bug fixes!

We also intend on updating all of you far more frequently on the status of the app, what we’re working on and what vision we have for the VGC app.  Your passionate feedback, as always, is much appreciated.

Thank you all so much for your continued support and we very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

pacpix

Re: New VGCollect Android App Released
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:35 am »
Great work getting this new app released Jason!  :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:03:30 am »
Nice! Too bad my phone died literally yesterday... :l

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 10:13:53 am »
I can sign in but nothing shows up. When I close using back button, it actually signs me out instead of minimizing the app.

I'm on Android 5.0.1.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
I can sign in with no issues, but I did run into the same issues as Tripredacus:
  • Using the back button signs me out
Other things I've noticed (can update if I run into anything else):
  • Pro: love that I can filter by letter!
  • [in collections] can only sort by either letter OR platform, but not both at the same time. This works properly in wishlist and sell list.
  • Hitting the "sign in" button takes a long time for anything to happen. Appears like nothing is happening but eventually my collection pops up.
  • when hitting the little refresh icon to the right of the filter drop downs, it refreshes the list to show all items, but the platform filter defaults back to the last platform in the user's list of platforms (I'm assuming it's suppose to default to the "all" option instead)
  • in the list of platforms, Accessory shows up before All. Makes sense alphabetically but maybe not logically for users ;)

Still really exciting! Happy to have a new app to play with.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:16:37 pm »
Great! now I can check my items on the go.

One thing I noticed that has not been said is that there is no "Keep me signed in" button. every time I close the app (not minimize it but actually close it) it makes me re-enter both my username and password. im on the newest android version.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:38:36 am »
I just started using the Discogs app and was thinking, it would be great if vgcollect had an app. Sure enough, there is one!

If you're not familiar with Discogs, it's a similar concept to vgcollect, only for vinyl, cd's, and other music media collecting.

One really really super useful feature in the Discogs app is the search can scan barcodes to pull up results. One of the reasons I haven't really spent much time updating my list here is that it's tedious to go through all of the different variations available for each game. A barcode scanner in the search would make it so much easier.

Here's a link to the Mobile Vision Barcode Scanner API overview: https://developers.google.com/vision/android/barcodes-overview

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:21:30 pm »
The VGCollect app should support barcode scanning already.

But it only helps if the barcodes in the database are correct or complete.

PS: Discogs is even more complicated when it comes to variations!

jason

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 06:51:24 pm »
Regarding the Barcode Scanner. I had implemented that in an earlier release of the application, but when I updated the app it was no longer supported. I hope to get that feature added back once again in the future.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:56:22 pm »
unable to sign in.

jason

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:49:30 pm »
unable to sign in.

Are you still having issues?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:26:56 pm »
does anyone now how you can sync the app with your web account?

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:50 pm »
Regarding the Barcode Scanner. I had implemented that in an earlier release of the application, but when I updated the app it was no longer supported. I hope to get that feature added back once again in the future.

I started working on a similar app using Xamarin Forms a while back. Would be cool to help out to get those features going. You guys doing native java or something else?

chmod

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:39:31 pm »
I saw the last response to this issue was a while back, but I am unable to sign-in. I receive the "Incorrect username or password" error. I'm on Android 8.0.0. Any suggestions?

jason

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »
Let me take a look into that for you.