Author Topic: Nintendo Labo Discussion.  (Read 3257 times)

rayne315

Re: Nintendo Labo Discussion.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 11:35:44 am »
the only thing I am truly worried about with this is since it is made out of cardboard and will no doubt be marketed twords 8 year olds is realistically how long will these cardboard constructions last? will they have a place you can go and just buy the cardboard sleeves by themselves?

I have to say although the price is kinda high I don't really see why everyone is freaking out. even considering that they sold 1-2-switch for $60 and I don't think I heard this much price shock for that $20 game.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

telly

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 11:53:34 am »
It's definitely a "your mileage will vary" product, especially since you have to partially, you know... create your own entertainment here. Even after building the models ;)
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 12:33:31 pm »
One thing I think people arent noticing is that once you put the item together, the crafting part is done. I know it was compared to LEGOs somewhere but LEGOs are reusable. You take it apart and build something else. These items dont seem to have that reconstructability.

telly

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »
But pretty much every craft is "you build it and then it's done". Model trains, model cars, any kind of DIY project really. This is aimed at younger audiences, which is why the construction is a little more simpler.

Makes me want to take out my Old LEGOs and K'Nex though :'(
Currently Playing:

tpugmire

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 02:15:30 pm »
From a collector standpoint, I can see unopened kits being fairly valuable eventually. These things are going to get trashed quickly.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:05 pm »
From a collector standpoint, I can see unopened kits being fairly valuable eventually. These things are going to get trashed quickly.

Nah.  There's too many collectors thinking like that.  Lots of fools like me will buy it and put it away.  It'll be worthless.

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:11:21 pm »
"NINTENDO'S GONNA MAKE ME BUY CARDBOARD FOR MY GAMES NOW"

This is the biggest nonsense I've heard lol

It's just a toy separate from the actual games. It's not like say, the wii's weird controller being the entire point of the console. I'm not interested in the thing but the idea that it's presence is legitimately damaging based on an insane assumption is incredibly silly

Best case scenario, kids will buy it and it'll sell a few more switches. Worst case scenario it'll just be another gimmick and fade out with little impact on the system itself, since it's only loosely connected to it in the first place
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:17:06 pm by cirno »

telly

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 03:39:56 pm »
I feel like if Nintendo wanted to consider making any mandatory accessories for a game on the Switch, they would make it plastic. There's no way cardboard would be able to function as a stand in or required controller to play a game because it's not durable enough. It would be optional if anything.

This product is mostly for the crafting aspect imo.
Currently Playing:

soera

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 03:44:17 pm »

It's just a toy separate from the actual games. It's not like say, the wii's weird controller being the entire point of the console. I'm not interested in the thing but the idea that it's presence is legitimately damaging based on an insane assumption is incredibly silly

Best case scenario, kids will buy it and it'll sell a few more switches. Worst case scenario it'll just be another gimmick and fade out with little impact on the system itself, since it's only loosely connected to it in the first place

Amiibos werent supposed to be required either ... its just a toy ... but now there are plenty of games out there that you cant even complete/access the whole thing without an amiibo unlocking it.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »
..And? Did everyone stop buying nintendo products because they were OUTRAGED about the content they were missing out on?

It really doesn't matter since they made up 0.001% of the content of whatever game it was most of the time. The games where the amiibo content was actually relevant were the minority.

People still bought the games and weren't exactly crying when they missed out on say, a new hat for mario or whatever. I'm sure if they want to say, make it so you can use a cardboard sword in zelda or whatever, nobody's exactly gonna be raging about missing out on content

Also keep in mind amiibos were explicitly designed to be a companion to nintendo games, this wasn't.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:59:38 pm by cirno »

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 09:16:13 am »

Amiibos werent supposed to be required either ... its just a toy ... but now there are plenty of games out there that you cant even complete/access the whole thing without an amiibo unlocking it.

Xbox and PS4 require micro trans, DLC packs and QR codes to get "bonus" content which is essentially actually a whole game left out with the sole purpose of sucking more money out of it's player.  Nintendo makes it so an Amiibo gives you a different outfit and everyone flips the hat lol.

I second Cirno's Sentiments

I can't think of one Nintendo game where you need an Amiibo to beat the game and not many where you need it to access a special part of the game other than costumes or minor things like health upgrades.  but I know plenty of games on the other two where you need a DLC pass to get the second ending or part 2 or have a competitve prayer in hell like NBA 2K18.  And Amiibos weren't toys per say, they were actually annoucned and advertised as figures that interact with the game and unlock special benefits.  They have 2 purposes and I never found them over bearing like PS and XB1's desperate micro trans that come with nothing but a digital unlock in return.

soera

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:13 am »
I may be the Nintendo hater but trying to discuss Ninty stuff with people who see no wrong in their doings is just wasting air for me. If this thing turns out to be greater than sliced bread, congrats.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:42:54 am by soera »

telly

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 09:43:45 am »
Lol. Predicting that "every game that releases in the future will be required to be compatible with the Labo", and that "this is the downfall of the Switch" is just as nearsighted as someone saying they're a perfect company, you know.

Do I think it's a tad overpriced? Sure. Will I buy it? Probably not. But saying that this is just "$70 dollars worth of cardboard" is just misinformed. And I do think it's a good product for what it's designed to be. I'd say we've had a pretty honest discussion about it so far, but only time will tell.
Currently Playing:

davifus

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »
yooo sooo who has a 3D printer... might need you print me out someeeee labo part in the future.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:40 pm »
Lol. Predicting that "every game that releases in the future will be required to be compatible with the Labo", and that "this is the downfall of the Switch" is just as nearsighted as someone saying they're a perfect company, you know.

I agree :).   It's hard to find wrong in something in concept form that shows no signs of being bad. It's just speculation about how Nintendo will incorperate it with the Switch and people are trying to find ways the Switch will fail before it does which is unfair and wishful thinking more or less.  I think Labo is just a neat creative idea for kids and won't be forced into nothing more but I guess only time will tell.  But I do agree the discussion has been wholesome and inclusive so far.   :D.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:50:24 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »