Author Topic: Nintendo Labo Discussion.  (Read 3227 times)

Nintendo Labo Discussion.
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:53:22 pm »
Hello everyone :).   Today the gaming gods spoke yet again in what appears to be Nintendo's newest and possibly craziest abstract idea yet and I just wanted to stop by to tap into the wire of the VG Collect Universe to see how everyone feels about this latest move for such a blockbuster and fun system thus far.  :D.   

This announcement was so far left field it's almost like Miyamoto and Nintendo's PR and marketing team are some sort of godly supreme being wizards at this point. Formulating concepts out of nothing. An artist revolutionizing the entire fabric of life itself through gaming. Rewriting what we know about fun and philosephy.  Turning just basics into beauty.  Turning cardboard into a robot or into Beethoven symphanies played elegantly on a theoretical imaginary piano.  It's beyond our realm of understanding.  It's so meta and just beyond human thinking.  It's the whole idea that boring and bland can be amazing with imagination.  The beauty that lies within.  The software becomes our imagination, it becomes our thinking.  On a deeper level the Labo is of a higher society mastery of an unknown way of life we've yet to dive in. The switch can be paired with something as simple as cardboard and still created a utopia around you.  A new world. Through something that lies within your mind all along.  It taps into you.  In essence and pure spirtual form the Nintendo Labo is Nintendo.  The ability to make kids smile regardless of design, trend or price.  Simple but fun. It's all about the creativity and fun when it's all said and done with the big N. :).     

As you can see I am very flabbergasted on a profound metaphysical level and feel as Ive met my lord and savior in the form of Nintendo's design team.  Just the simplicity combined with the power of it.  And how it was presented. It felt as a rembrandt masterpiece being unveiled to scoffing critics.   I feel Nintendo may be finding that perfect balance of entertaining kids will astonishing the adults with pure quality and innovation.  It's just like pretty eye brow raising at this point the consistency nintendo is hitting with.  And may we all prey for another home run with Nintendo's leap into a virtual reality blend with art and engineering we see here.  :).

Some gamers have been posting awful things about Labo mostly people who are either unaccepting of change or hateful of switch's success.  But real criticisms do exist and many wonder if it's a gimmick or why it's so expensive.  Which is why I came here to seek unbiased and healthy discussion :D.

Where do you stand with the Labo?  Will you buy one?    What is the future of this cardboard VR in your opinion?  Will Sony and XB1 follow suit as they tend to do? 

For me I love the labo.  I feel it has so much untapped power and a massive market that made the Wii a success and Nintendo knows this.  It's versatile. Unique.  Simple. but most of all it caters to moms and children which are the driving force behind major sales.  I know it's a gimmick territory that many of us don't want Nintendo to tap into again but so was the whole Wii and I found a lot to love out of that. I just think it coexists well but doesn't dominate. Something fun for everyone.  Some may be turned off but I do think it was a pretty smooth play to keep the moms of america stuffing switch's in their purses come birthdays and christmases for years to come :).   I can hear all the moms talking it about it now.    Believe it or not my mom told me about it before I knew.  She called me up estatic about it sending links.  It's a moms dream.  The child gets creative and artistic but also plays video games at the same time.  :D     

What are your thoughts on the cardboard utopia?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:19:07 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: Nintendo Labo Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:35:48 pm »
No one should be upset with Nintendo Labo.  It's a product designed mostly for kids and the idea behind it is pretty interesting, giving kids something to build, which is great, and giving them a game in the process.  It's purely for the casual audience, giving kids an alternate way to experience their games.  It's an inventive idea and one so simple, especially with it bordering on being "edutainment", showing kids how the inner workings of things can be, while also being a fun game or activity in the process.  I was initially more inclined to wave it off as being on the level of Wii accessories, but there's a lot more to it here. 

It's not for most die hard Nintendo fans that want their next Nintendo property.  It's primarily for kids and kids are gonna love the shit out of this.  I would've loved it at like age 7 or 8.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:35 pm »
I love the idea. I can tell it's not for me, but I know my younger nieces and nephews would gobble it up (And I can easily see a younger me doing the same).

Really my only concern over the whole thing is how durable the cardboard is and if it can withstand general wear and tear.

In any case, if it proves popular, I can easily see Nintendo making a Warioware D.I.Y. style game for the line, complete with compilation volumes of the best submissions.

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:25 am »
This is absolutely the worst idea Nintendo has ever had ... do you realize this isnt going to be just for kids? Once its out there, Nintendo is going to eventually make every game that releases in the future be required to be compatible with the Labo in some form or other. As much as everyone complained about how the Wii was annoying with its adding motion controls to every game, imagine adding a cardboard prop for every game.

And the price is absurd. $70 for some pressed cardboard? GTFO here.

Welcome to the downfall of the Switch. I knew it was going to come, just didnt realize it was going to be something as far out there as this.

telly

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:56:20 am »
I highly, highly doubt that every game released by Nintendo will now feature Nintendo Labo. That's a pretty bold statement. The idea doesn't have a lot of applicability to every game. How would they use it for Zelda? For Kirby or Smash Brothers? If anything it would be optional accessories like the steering wheel for Mario Kart.

And about the price, we pay $60 for a MSRP game at launch, so it's really $10 for the cardboard pieces. The product does come with software in addition to the 5 DIY projects.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

ferraroso

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
I think it is a pretty neat concept and I believe that people who like to build things will love to play with those kits!
However, as everything that comes from this company, it looks a little too overpriced, especially if you take into consideration that the most entertaining part of the game will be building the items themselves, so it has a very limited replay value.
Apart from that I can foresee Nintendo not producing enough kits to supply the demand and, as always, at least in the short-term, they will turn this piece into a treasure for scalpers.

But this is coming from someone who considers himself to be pretty much a Nintendo hater and who would never buy these... In the end, I think Nintendo, more than any other company really understand their fans and I respect them for that.

soera

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:20:32 am »
I highly, highly doubt that every game released by Nintendo will now feature Nintendo Labo. That's a pretty bold statement. The idea doesn't have a lot of applicability to every game. How would they use it for Zelda? For Kirby or Smash Brothers? If anything it would be optional accessories like the steering wheel for Mario Kart.

And about the price, we pay $60 for a MSRP game at launch, so it's really $10 for the cardboard pieces. The product does come with software in addition to the 5 DIY projects.

2-3 years ago, who would have thought there would be a game involving the use of folding cardboard into usable pieces? The fact is now that its out there, they will find a way to make it required.

And the price ... does it really look like a $60 MSRP game?

Im also known as a Nintendo hater ... and stuff like this is why. Nintendo should be in the software business and let me play their games on my PS4 and cause me to miss out on their amazing games cause I dont want their garbage consoles. Although at the same time, as a complete PS4 collector, I do applaud them for doing this only on Nintendo so I dont have to buy it. :P

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:16 am »

EXACTLY- and as someone who's worked in a craft store for 13 years, this is average to great pricing on a kids papercraft project (depending on the quality of the cardboard.) It's really not that expensive- certainly better than spending $50-100 on a furby that still requires a damn iPhone app to work!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:42:15 am »
I saw the video last night.  It looked like a neat idea until I saw the price.  Wow!  $70 and $80?  I'm out.  $20 for a cardboard kit and I'm in.  The Boy would love it, but that's just too much for cardboard.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:54 am »
This is absolutely the worst idea Nintendo has ever had ... do you realize this isnt going to be just for kids? Once its out there, Nintendo is going to eventually make every game that releases in the future be required to be compatible with the Labo in some form or other. As much as everyone complained about how the Wii was annoying with its adding motion controls to every game, imagine adding a cardboard prop for every game.

And the price is absurd. $70 for some pressed cardboard? GTFO here.

Welcome to the downfall of the Switch. I knew it was going to come, just didnt realize it was going to be something as far out there as this.

The cardboard comes with Mechanisms and rope with the mech one. Instructions ect... not to mention the entire development proccess for the software that pairs with it which looks like it might be a whole line of physical or digital games. The whole 70 dollars for cardboard argument is something I don't get.  It's so much more than that. :) 

As for it being essential for future games I don't see that happening. It could happen surely but that'd be a level of lunacy nobody would fiddle with I would imagine lol.  They have made no mention of it pairing with Kirby, Mario Tennis or any of the other upcoming titles even though it'd be a selling point for it nor have they shown it working with previous titles.  It really doesn't correlate imo.  It's more just a side thing that people are overblowing.   Sure Nintendo made motion manditory with Wii almost and forced it down everyone's throats but that's really the only instance of them doing that.  This is more of a side thing than a full on intanglement. 

Imo Labo is nothing more than a DIY project for kids and parents to bond over while the dad takes his break from slaying epic boss's in his GOTY BOTW on the fastest selling and most critically acclaimed console of this gen.  Nintendo switch lol   ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:51:54 am by marvelvscapcom2 »

telly

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 11:13:14 am »
Guys, look at the actual product description. It is not $20 of cardboard. It comes with a game, so even if you were to take a lower priced title base of $40, the total package would still be around $60. I really don't think it's that much of a price gauge.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:32:53 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 11:20:59 am »
It doesn't do anything for me and I have no interest in getting it, but then again this wasn't made with people in their 30s in mind.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:27:04 am »
Guys, look at the actual product description. It is not $20 of cardboard. It comes with a game, so even if you were to take a lower priced title base of $40, the total package would still be around $60. I really don't think it's that much of a price gauge.

The cardboard kits are what people see though.  It's disposable. 

Plus, my kid will tear up cardboard.  They need replacement kits that don't include the software.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 11:29:51 am »
Arts and crafts stuff aren't cheap.  You aren't paying just for the materials, but the cost to make the materials usable for your crafts.  All of the cardboard boxes are perforated in a manner that allows you to easily put it together.

Also, the folks talking about "oh $20 for cardboard" are probably the same folks who are like "oh $20 for perler bead art, what did that cost you $2 in beads, I'll give you $3.  You're still profiting."

telly

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:50 am »
I mean, I do think it is a tad overpriced, but not that badly. I think the other question is how sturdy the materials are, for sure, like you mentioned turf.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)