Author Topic: Let's Talk About The 7th Generation Of Gaming Consoles  (Read 4050 times)

Re: Let's Talk About The 7th Generation Of Gaming Consoles
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:26 am »
Definitely Xbox 360 for me.

During that generation I worked in game QA and tested solely on 360 and PS3 and I always found the PS3 cumbersome and sometimes downright annoying to operate. Only talking about the system here, not the games.
Both systems had amazing exclusives, but as a shmup lover the 360 was the superior system for me.
I never got into Wii, unfortunately.

This generation it's the exact opposite IMO, the Xbox One system is slow, buggy and cumbersome (only tried the first edition though) and the PS4 has the best library by far.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 12:48:58 pm »
PS3 and Wii/WiiU.

I completely ignored the 360 due to all the hub bub regarding its high failure rates. Sony had a larger library of good exclusives and the multiplats were almost always better on the PS3.

That said the Xbox One Platform has been giving me an opportunity to go back and appreciate some of the 360’s offerings by way of backward compatability.

I’ve even gone so far as to pirchase the 360 versions of many of my PS3 games on the X1 so I can keep playing them without my PS3 hooked up.

I can clearly see the visual trade offs (tho the One X is crossing some of theat gap with enhancements). But I’m willing to pay that price to keep enjoying my games.

shfan

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 06:49:56 am »
Xbox 360 > Wii > PS3

I was an early adopter of the 360 and it remained my mainstay for multi-platform releases. I got stung by the RROD a few times, but later models gave me no problem with reliability. Not needing to install games was a boon, the system also has a small but tasty selection of exclusives which cover a variety of action genres (the Rare games, Project Sylpheed, Ninja Blade, Earth Defense Force 2017, Bikini Zombie thing etc.)

The Wii, maligned as it is, has some great exclusives nonetheless, not least the Nintendo titles but also a raft of third-party gems. Motion controls = poo, but they only impact badly on a handful of titles.

The PS3 has several exclusives, sure, but they largely are a a clump of Double-A JRPGs and a few random others, in addition to an irritating installation requirement, easily the weakest of the bunch for me. Backwards compatible PS3 = win, but that's PS1 and PS2 titles, not the PS3 library.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:59 am »
I was pretty big on 360 for that generation.  360 controller is still one of my favorite controllers of all time.  Still have my 360 mostly so I can play Guitar Hero and Rock Band once in awhile lol  Didn't even get a PS3 till years later, like a year or two before the PS4 release, I forget exactly.  The Wii was a dud for me mostly due to the motion controls.  I ended up selling my launch day Wii to a friend within the first year as the tech and games weren't doing it for me.  Kinda funny that I liked the Wii U more, despite it being a failure lol

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:08 am »
Objectively... Wii > 360 > PS3

Subjectively... 360 > Wii > PS3

As someone who isn't entirely into JRPG games, the PS3 is obviously at a distinct disadvantage, the majority of their exclusives were geared towards that fanbase.  To this day, I've never played a God of War game, I own them all, but I've never played one.  It just goes into how unwilling I am to make time to play my PS3.  Doesn't help that Sony caused so many problems with their systems and their systems had so many problems.  Early 360's had high failure rates, but I didn't early adopt ANY console that generation... maybe the Wii.  I bought my first PS3 solely because of the touted Other OS feature.  At the time I was doing cyber security stuff in college, so Linux on PS3 was a cool thing to do.  They took that away.  I traded in my console for a slim.  The ONE JRPG I tried to play had giant graphical flaws on that PS3.  Bought an OG BC PS3, burned out after a few months.  PS3 cost me so much money that generation.  It deserves its place at the bottom of the list.

Every 360 I had, when it broke, broke within the warranty period.  Microsoft and the store I bought them from, always fixed the issue quickly and without cost.  I've gone through 2 or 3 360s, but it never cost me anything.  My OG got replaced with a Slim Halo Reach, my Reach got replaced with a Gears of War Slim.  Still have the GoW slim.  The obvious choice of the generation in terms of multiplatform support.  Most games performed much better on the 360 due to it having a relatively simple architecture, whereas the PS3 had the Cell architecture which made optimization and coding a pain in the ass.  Case in point, look at any Bethesda Game.  Buggy as fuck no matter what, but definitely performs worlds better on 360 over PS3.

Wii... with its... motion controls... was a casual gamer success... but it just didn't have the viability for long term support.  Nobody wanted to continually play with motion controls.  They kind of learned from this with the Wii U... but too little too late.  Great games like Smash Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, etc.  The system has so many first party titles that stand out and a bunch of third party titles from major franchises that also hold their own... but the system just reinforced that "Nintendo is for kids" stereotype.  I'd argue that Nintendo had the best exclusives of this generation, at the downside of the worst third party and multiplatform titles of the generation... but if you tried to argue with me, I'd either give or ignore.  Also, never once had a Wii break or fail.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 11:00:51 am »
When it was current, the Xbox 360 killed it.  It was my favorite during that cycle. 

Now days, the Wii is the only one of the three I drag back out.  We play it on the garage door during the summer.  It's still fun.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2020, 06:30:22 pm »
How do you guys play the Nintendo Wii these days? Standing up or sitting? for me?

I  can't even play a games like one of the Call Of Duty games for the Wi.  without getting a tired arms and stiff back. I've  used the gun accessary playing Call of duty. and it was so uncomfortable, it was panful to stand or sit down, and impossible to aim. Since, both aiming, and turning is under motion controls.

In order to turn, in Call of Duty on the Wii you need to move the gun to the left or to the right all the while keeping steady. Most times you move you arms back and forth and up and down the game is only halfway responsive in my experience.

My dad however can play the Call Of Duty On the Wii. just fine and sitting down. what makes the motion controls so bad for me is how uncomfortable the Wii is to play. Am I alone, when it comes to laggy motion controls making you cramp up in pain? I envy anybody that can handle a First Person Shooter with motion controls, can anyone else handle a FPS on the Wii without feeling pain?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:34:12 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 07:32:45 pm »
Some games were actually better playing while standing up, but in all honestly most games I used to play from the comfort of my couch.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2020, 10:54:29 am »
Xbox 360>PS3>Wii

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2020, 12:35:07 pm »
Poor Ouya. So terrible nobody even remembers it.

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:39 pm »

I had to look that up, because I don't even remember it. Was that some kind of online digital only console? If so, I can see why it must have failed.  :-\
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 12:56:36 pm »

I had to look that up, because I don't even remember it. Was that some kind of online digital only console? If so, I can see why it must have failed.  :-\

Yep. First attempt (that I can recall) at a streaming only condole.

dhaabi

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 01:19:19 pm »

Yep. First attempt (that I can recall) at a streaming only condole.

Granted, the Ouya was an eighth-generation microconsole that was not exclusive to games being streamed in lieu of games being downloaded. However, later on, some games did utilize a cloud-based streaming service. It was a digital-only console, though.

pzeke

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 03:51:05 pm »

Well, I'm sure the fools that wasted money on it do.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 05:44:08 pm »
My interest in games was reignited with this generation after interest really dropped off around the mid 2000s. By the time I acquired an Xbox 360 and a Wii, there was already tons of games out for them and everything seemed so fresh and exciting, and then discovering the DS on top of that. It was a good time to be getting back into gaming. I still believe it was a superior gen compared to both the previous one, and the outgoing gen of today.