Author Topic: Listing Skylanders  (Read 3974 times)

amauriel

Listing Skylanders
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
I saw that someone had added some of the Skylanders to the site, and now that I have all of the ones that have been released so far (as soon as Amazon delivers them -- HUGE YAY) I would like to add the others.

I figure that since some characters are sold in a single-pack or a three-pack, the easiest way to do them would just be to create a listing for each figure, as the ones already entered have been.

My question is the Adventure Packs. Basically, each adventure pack has one Skylander, a new world (basically on-disc DLC that gets unlocked when it's put on the portal), and two items. None of those pieces were intentionally sold separately. However, some eBayers realized that they could make a lot more initially, breaking up the sets and selling just the Skylander out of it. For a while, for example, Slam Bam by himself was selling for almost three times what the sealed pack that included him was. (And getting bids at that too, I figure people just didn't know that he came in the Empire of Ice set). If we list everything individually, it really does add a lot of fluff to the collections though, as what should be 4 items (4 Adventure Packs) becomes 16 total items.

Whoever originally put them in here put in the first Adventure Pack as a set (Pirate Seas) but then the Skylander that came in that pack is also listed separately (Terrafin).

Also, should the Skylanders that were only available in the initial game be listed as their own thing? Spyro was exclusive to the PS3/Wii/Xbox/PC version of the game but has his own listing right now. Also Dark Spyro was only in the 3DS pack and he has his own listing too.

What does everyone think? I have no problem going through and adding them, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I'd rather have something set up as a standard that we can follow now rather than trying to clean everything up later, as Skylanders Giants looks like it's going to have a ton of new figures as well. (Rumor has it there might be 8 Giants, 8 new Skylanders, and up to 24 new variants of the current Skylanders.)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

Re: Listing Skylanders
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »
Normally I think they would all be listed as the packs that they came in. So if it was a 3 character pack then it would count as 1 item. That's why when I listed the Club Nintendo promo AR Cards for Kid Icarus, it was listed as 1 set.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »
Obviously, I don't have Skylanders so I don't know how they all come, and never had paid much attention to them.

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:57 pm »
The problem is that we've already got figures that were released in a pack only listed as both the individual figure AND the pack. Just trying to figure out which way they should be done going forward. I honestly am sorta surprised they're listed at all, even though they do connect to a game they are more toys than anything.

matt

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:19:41 pm »
I'm just going to chime in and say that I know nothing about these (ha) so I'll let the more familiar members of the community decide how we want to handle this going forward.

scott

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:48 pm »
The problem is that we've already got figures that were released in a pack only listed as both the individual figure AND the pack. Just trying to figure out which way they should be done going forward. I honestly am sorta surprised they're listed at all, even though they do connect to a game they are more toys than anything.

In that case, if we made it so they should be listed with the pack they came in, we'd just have to merge them all together into one listing.

How do these things come? Can one figure come in more than one 3 pack?

I'm in the same boat as matt on this one, since I don't know anything about them. Maybe a few of the other Skylanders players will chime in with their thoughts and we can all come to a nice simple solution.

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:43 am »
To keep things simple/not cluttered I think there should be one listing for each Skylander and each accessory. In my opinion as a video game collector(and also collecting Skylanders when I can find the damn things) I would hate to clog up the site with multiple listings for each. There are Skylanders that are in 3 different packs but we really only need one listing for the Skylander. If it is that important to me to track then I would be looking at toy collecting websites.

Again though this is just me.

amauriel

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:45:17 am »
I'm sorta of the same sentiment. I figure if one is available single, we list it single. If it's only available in an adventure pack or in the game pack, I don't feel those need their own listing.

But since there was already a listing for Dark Spyro and Terrafin, which would only be in packs, I figured maybe the rest of the community felt differently.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:57:23 am »
This brings up an interesting question I've been trying to figure out.

There are items that are only sold together, but are still listed separately by a lot of people. For example, Sony sold PS2 memory cards in single packs (black) or two packs (blue / red). I bought a blue / red pack but consider each one separate. Would I list them separately or together? What would I do if I only had a blue memory card?

And then there's the PS2 games that came with Logitech USB microphones. Boogie came with an EA-branded one, Karaoke Revolution games came with one that had a Konami logo. Who knows what brand those stupid High School Musical / Disney ones came with. :P What if we have one of those microphones, and the games, but didn't buy the actual packages?

TL;DR... I'd say listing both complete packs, and individual figures, is the way to go. That way people can do whatever they wish. Just add a note to the description saying "This was originally included with X item."

(P.S. - I only bought Boogie for the Mic. It was five bucks, and the game on its own was $15...)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:59:00 am by foxhack »

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:04 am »
@foxhack: I agree, this needs to be figured out. It got hard when I started listing Rock Band and Guitar Hero controllers...I tried to make sure that I accounted for all of them, either in a bundle or separately. I added only the ones that I knew I had purchased separately, like the Beatles ones.

On the other hand, if we start listing every little thing, does it inflate our collections and how they look? In theory, I'll have, at the moment, 43 items that are just Skylanders if I list them all separately (45 if you count the two portals. That isn't including the games even). That seems a little ridiculous, hence why I brought all this up in the first place.

matt

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:28:15 am »
@foxhack: I agree, this needs to be figured out. It got hard when I started listing Rock Band and Guitar Hero controllers...I tried to make sure that I accounted for all of them, either in a bundle or separately. I added only the ones that I knew I had purchased separately, like the Beatles ones.

On the other hand, if we start listing every little thing, does it inflate our collections and how they look? In theory, I'll have, at the moment, 43 items that are just Skylanders if I list them all separately (45 if you count the two portals. That isn't including the games even). That seems a little ridiculous, hence why I brought all this up in the first place.

I think one of the things I'd like to do to address this is to add a listing 'type' to categories. That way instead of just having one grouped together total, we could have like '425 Games, 45 Accessories, 10 Consoles, 5 Other' or something along those lines.

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 09:11:36 am »
That would be a great feature matt. I currently keep a running total of the number of games that I have because I like to know how many items out of my collection are actually games.

scott

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:56:42 am »
I would love to see a breakdown of my collection. Maybe with accompanying percentages?

karyann

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:41 pm »
This topic is kinda old, but since it's totally related imho, I prefer to reply here rather than making a new thread...

Anyway, each skylanders has a separate listing, but what about the special editions? I've been wondering ever since I got Sonic Boom, but the glow-in-the-dark edition. I know there are a lot of different figures, from clear ones to glow-in-the-dark to light core. So what do you think, should we list a limited edition skylanders as a separate entry? I would say yes seeing as it's a different edition, but since it's not been talked about yet, I prefer to ask the community :)

If it's unclear, here's an example: Should we have a "Sonic Boom" and a "Sonic Boom (Glow-In-The-Dark edition)" entries, or put all versions under the "Sonic Boom" entry?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:46:54 pm by karyann »

soera

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:16 pm »
Im the one that lists the skylanders. There actually should be the glow in the dark one. I guess there isnt. Ill get one up there!

As far as lightcore, I dont bother listing them differently. I dont see them as different honestly, just one glows a bit more than the other. :)