Author Topic: Good D&D Based Games?  (Read 2315 times)

Good D&D Based Games?
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:36:39 am »
I've basically spent the past two weeks playing Monster Hunter World and catching up on a D&D stream I stopped watching like a year ago, practically as much time as I put into Monster Hunter (over 100 hours), I listened to D&D, and while I'm not exactly looking to jump into a pen & paper game (or assisted with something like Tabletop Simulator) right now, I was wondering if there's been any good recent games in a D&D setting.  Somewhere in the just couple years only because certain RPG's I feel are tougher to checkout the more outdated they get.

It seems so ripe for it, but I never hear about any games based on it these days.  Like is there are a Skyrim/Witcher D&D equivalent?  Seems like a setup ripe for games and I know they have been made in the past, but I thought about it and not much really came up for me.  I feel like I'm just kinda wanting something with a real engaging fantasy world right now as I haven't played a pure sword and magic fantasy game in a long time and I wouldn't count stuff like the Dark Souls 3 DLC from last year, due to its lack of storytelling, or Monster Hunter World, because it has no real story or world building and is mostly to progress you towards new monsters to kill.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:47:34 am by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Good D&D Based Games?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:02:44 am »
For recent games, I'd say Divinity: Original Sin 2 is probably the closest you'd get to full on D&D in a game. If you want to go older, there is also the Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate series. Dragon Age: Origins can also fall into this as the game actually uses a d20 system under the hood for everything (The KOTOR games are the same way).

And if you want to go full meta, there are the Knights of Pen & Paper games, which are RPGs where you play as people playing a tabletop RPG.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:11:41 am »
For recent games, I'd say Divinity: Original Sin 2 is probably the closest you'd get to full on D&D in a game. If you want to go older, there is Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. Dragon Age: Origins can also fall into this as the game actually uses a d20 system under the hood for everything (The KOTOR games are the same way).

And if you want to go full meta, there are the Knights of Pen & Paper games, which are RPGs where you play as people playing a tabletop RPG.

I have heard of the Divinity: Original Sin games.  i thought about checking those out since they are recent.  Not really wanting to go back too far as I have trouble getting into certain styles of older RPG's.  Going back to clunky mechanics and UI's drive me nuts lol
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:51:40 am by kamikazekeeg »

arkaneer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:04:09 am »
I would also definitely recommend Divinity:Original Sin 2, the game is amazing.

I played it for 50 hours and then was ill for a couple of weeks and didn't get back to it, but I certainly will.

It's another massive timesink though mate. So much to see and do!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:22:45 am »
It isn't recent but the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance is pretty good.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:11 pm »
Well, it sure as hell ain’t AD&D Heroes of the Lance on NES  ;D

Like the previous poster mentioned, I always enjoyed the Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance games.

soera

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:53 pm »
There is actually a D&D game like Baldur's gate. Called Dungeons and Dragons heroes. Xbox OG exclusive.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:46:57 pm »
Neverwinter Nights on PC is the BEST D&D-based video game, as far as I'm concerned.

But if you're into consoles only, Dungeons & Dragons Heroes (XBox) was already mentioned. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 is fantastic (PS2, XBox, GameCube). And while not technically D&D, Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms (both PS2) is as close as it can get without getting sued.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:43 pm »
I've played a little bit of the first Divinity: Original Sin game, and it still holds up very well. Great for co-op play. I agree that it's one of the best games to emulate the tabletop D&D experience in regard to lots of talking with NPCs, decision making influencing consequences, looting locked chests/rooms, and interesting skill/perk building for your character.

A looser D&D game that I played a while back was on the 3DS: Crimson Shroud though it's a less in-depth but still fun.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »
I'm mostly preferring PC stuff, easier to find, unless there's a good PS4 game, but also only relatively recent stuff in the past couple years.  Neverwinter Nights seems to be getting an enhanced version releasing sometime though, so maybe I could check that out whenever it releases.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:13:12 pm »
Pillars of Eternity, perhaps, as another option? I haven't played it yet, but it seems to have gotten positive reviews as well.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

arkaneer

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:34 am »
Torment: Tides of Numenera is supposed to be good...it can also be picked up quite cheaply for the PS4 (in the UK at least).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »
Pillars of Eternity, perhaps, as another option? I haven't played it yet, but it seems to have gotten positive reviews as well.

Got that one for Christmas. Haven't started it yet. Glad to hear it has good reviews.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:04 pm »
Perfect timing on the Divinity recommend, as Steam just started a big sale and the Divinity series is on sale with it.  I can pick up Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced for only 13 bucks.  Figured I'd do a headsup for anyone interested.

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 05:45:55 pm »
The bf is trying out Kingdom Come Deliverance for anyone who doesn't actually want the fantasy element of a D&D campaign. Feels like Skyrim (good and bad) but more as a simulation over fantasy. No magic, no dragons. I'm curious how the game turns out for him.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas