Author Topic: Good D&D Based Games?  (Read 2328 times)

Re: Good D&D Based Games?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 05:52:47 pm »
The bf is trying out Kingdom Come Deliverance for anyone who doesn't actually want the fantasy element of a D&D campaign. Feels like Skyrim (good and bad) but more as a simulation over fantasy. No magic, no dragons. I'm curious how the game turns out for him.

I was kinda curious about that game myself.  Not super into pure medieval settings, but it seemed like it had some good ideas.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 07:11:48 pm »
Played a short bit of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced and not sure if I'm liking the dual character setup.  It's different than just having party members in other RPG's, because they have two separate inventories and the gameplay revolves using both along with the dialogue.  The dialogue thing is weird, because then it's like I'm having a conversation with myself lol 

Also I really hate how I can't see stuff in the game like loot or placed items a lot of the time, because they don't highlight anything other than stuff that is revealed with perception.  That works in like Skyrim, because you are ground level and it's easier to see items, but you can't be at ground level in this and actually play.  Like there were lockpicks laying out in a spot, and I only found them because my mouse accidentally scrolled over them.  I know you can press alt and items in the immediate area has a big 'ole text bubble pop up, but that looks awful and I still had trouble picking loot off the ground for the first dungeon boss.  It all just seems inconvenient to me.

Really not sure if I'll keep on with the game or not...

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 01:17:08 am »
Played a short bit of Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced and not sure if I'm liking the dual character setup.  It's different than just having party members in other RPG's, because they have two separate inventories and the gameplay revolves using both along with the dialogue.  The dialogue thing is weird, because then it's like I'm having a conversation with myself lol 

Also I really hate how I can't see stuff in the game like loot or placed items a lot of the time, because they don't highlight anything other than stuff that is revealed with perception.  That works in like Skyrim, because you are ground level and it's easier to see items, but you can't be at ground level in this and actually play.  Like there were lockpicks laying out in a spot, and I only found them because my mouse accidentally scrolled over them.  I know you can press alt and items in the immediate area has a big 'ole text bubble pop up, but that looks awful and I still had trouble picking loot off the ground for the first dungeon boss.  It all just seems inconvenient to me.

Really not sure if I'll keep on with the game or not...

That's understandable. I thought it mimicked tabletop D&D pretty well since in D&D, the DM can't tell you where every little item is and whether or not it's something you can or should interact with. Feels a little like cheating in other games because you can see everything immediately.

But yeah, I can see what you mean with how they first a team situation. It works pretty well if you have someone to play with, but I thought if you were playing solo, the personality choice you chose for the companion would then auto-determine their responses to you. However, if you chose No AI, that means you'd have to choose all the responses which, yeah, would make it feel like you were talking to yourself. If you already chose No AI, I think you'll have a chance to change it later.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 01:27:46 am »
That's understandable. I thought it mimicked tabletop D&D pretty well since in D&D, the DM can't tell you where every little item is and whether or not it's something you can or should interact with. Feels a little like cheating in other games because you can see everything immediately.

But yeah, I can see what you mean with how they first a team situation. It works pretty well if you have someone to play with, but I thought if you were playing solo, the personality choice you chose for the companion would then auto-determine their responses to you. However, if you chose No AI, that means you'd have to choose all the responses which, yeah, would make it feel like you were talking to yourself. If you already chose No AI, I think you'll have a chance to change it later.

I think the item thing would've been easily fixed by just utilizing the perception range in game.  If you are within a certain distance of something, it highlights so that you can even know it's there.  Keep it within like 10 to 15 feet.  That would essentially be more like if you rolled for perception or investigation in table top when entering a location, with the DM pointing out what is in your immediate area.  I don't really need to walk into a room full of glowies, I just don't want to skip over something because it was literally too tiny to see on my screen or was lost within the debris of something else lol

That explains that abit better as I didn't understand what the AI thing really was and just ignored it.  I do understand the game is big on co-op, but sometimes that means the game isn't always the best for singleplayer.  Like Resident Evil 5 was specifically designed for co-op, even though you could totally play solo, but it was not the better experience going alone lol

I think I am gonna hold off on the game for now, just refund it as I'll just wait for another sale down the road if I really want to try it again.