Author Topic: Your unpopular gaming opinions.  (Read 6640 times)

Re: Your unpopular gaming opinions.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 01:55:15 am »
It is too hard to find reasonable prices on used cartridge only Super Nintendo games today.

SNES Games are not worth more then $10 a piece   without a box   yet most of the library cost $15 and more for a single cartridge for just the cartridge games alone. no matter what condition the game is in >:(

I want SNES cartridge only games to go way down in price.

The NES is an easy system to collect for than the Super Nintendo

PlayStation 3 super slim's are an underrated and great console

Sports games are fun

Most turn based strategy RPG's are overrated in my opinion especially the turn based other then the Pokemon games

But all my frustration goes to the overpricing on just about every single Super Nintendo game alone both online and offline prices :(

MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 02:17:17 am »
-Campaigns are better than multiplayer.

-Strategy games, including tactical-RPGs, bore me.

-The Nintendo 64's controller kills any good the N64 may have, which isn't much.

-I like Xbox, especially the original Xbox.

-The original PlayStation has aged just fine. I have so many fantastic games on that system that I would never part with.

-I don't mind the Dreamcast's controller (although the cord being on the wrong end is a little annoying).

-Resident Evil 4 killed one of the greatest gaming series I have ever played. I so miss the old-style Resident Evils.

-Game Boy sucked until the GBA-SP. There were some great games in it's library pre-SP, but the hardware was so terrible it wasn't worth it until the SP (except for the Super Game Boy for SNES, that was cool).

-Atari sucks. Atari 2600 bored me to death, maybe it was just too before my time. But it's not like they've had another successful console since, either.

-I hate PC gaming. Give me a console over a PC any day. I do have a handful of PC game favorites (Descent, Neverwinter Nights, etc.), but the effort of keeping up with compatibility, patches, updates, hardware upgrades, etc, etc, just isn't worth it to me. And I like a controller, with games designed for a controller.

-I hate smartphone gaming...touchscreen controls suck and it will never be the future of gaming for me.

-Angry Video Game Nerd is immature, and annoying. I know, it's just a character...and that character is stupid.

-And this one I am very passionate about...DARK SOULS/DEMON SOULS IS NOT JUST LIKE KING'S FIELD!!! The only similarities is that they're made by From Software, and both are action-RPGs set in a fantasy-setting...but then 95% of action-RPGs have that setting. Besides, King's Field is waaayyyy better.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:21:53 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 09:02:17 am »
The Last of Us is one of the worst games I have ever played.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:24:24 am »
Probably my most controversial opinion:
- Chrono Cross is more fun than Chrono Trigger.

Also...
- The Halo series is WAAAAY overrated. Single player is just so f***ing boring.
- The GTA series is also overrated.
- The Kingdom Hearts games are like Ready Player One: full of cool cameos but not much substance.
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete is awesome :D
- FFVII is put on a pedestal, and it’s a fun game, but far from the best FF. The chocobo racing is frustrating and boring.
- Oh, and Tifa is useless and generic. I never used her in my party if I had another option.
- Q*Bert is the best game of all time. I don’t care what anyone says :D

telly

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:56 am »
Here are some of mine that I could think of
  • Ace Combat Infinity was a really solid AC game
  • I didn't enjoy Final Fantasy VI
  • Tidus is the best protagonist ever introduced in an FF game
  • Metal Gear Solid is a bad (at best overrated) series
  • The 6th generation of consoles is hands down the best overall generation
  • Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent are among the best 2D Mega Man Games ever made. Better than all the X and Zero games
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:54:05 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 12:16:13 pm »
All right here we go..

-The sonic franchise? It has some decent games but it was a completley terrible idea. The developers need to make a really fast platformer routinely, why do you think that series crashed and burned

-I really have trouble getting into the N64 because I feel like most of it's content has aged about as well as curdled milk left in the sun
-For that matter, I really don't see what makes Super Mario 64 so much better than it's contemporary mario 3d platformers. The only real novelty to it was that it was an open world 3D platformer, and it lost that to Odyssey anyway

-Super Smash Bros Brawl was one of the better smash bros games because of the amount of single player content
-Similarly, I couldn't get into smash bros 4 as  much because there was just nothing to do

-Also, 3DS smash bros four is the superior version. Wii U smash bros had garbage game modes and wrecked Classic Mode, which is a shame because that's usually what most of my gametime goes to
-Seriously, why do people still think Switch smash bros is a port? The developers came out and said they've been working on it for years

-Pokemon Black and White had a pretty good story overall, but Ghetsis was a generic villain who scrubbed any moral complexity right out of it, and it would've been far better if he didn't exist

-Fighting games? With certain exceptions..they just have too steep of a learning curve to be anywhere near fun
-Military shooters in general? Gross. They've all been blurring together for years.

kashell

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 12:36:38 pm »
Mufufu... e.e

-The JRPG/WRPG naming is stupid. It's an RPG. You don't call Mario a JPlatformer; I'm not sure when or why people started classifying the genre in such a dumb way.

-Street Fighter, Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Earthbound, Undertale, Sonic, Zelda, Assassin's Creed, and Metal Gear are dull and overrated.

-Star Ocean: The Last Hope is the best in the series.

-To add, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness is a fine game.

-Smart phone and tablet gaming is ruining the gaming industry.

-Groups that are "dedicated" to translating Tales of games are uppity liars. I rarely say stuff like this, but **** Absolute Zero productions.

-FPS games are hoorrrrrrible.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 12:53:06 pm »
-The JRPG/WRPG naming is stupid. It's an RPG. You don't call Mario a JPlatformer; I'm not sure when or why people started classifying the genre in such a dumb way.

Because it's easier to identify what kind of RPG you are playing. I feel it's more about that, than the actual country of origin the game was produced in.

Generally the JRPG label is reserved for your turn-based RPGs and often has colorful characters, with a higher emphasis on story and dialogue.

While the western RPGs are more geared towards Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings type of high-fantasy, with more customizable characters.

kashell

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 01:14:12 pm »
I don't see it that way. It's an RPG.

When you factor in the genre becoming more modernized these days, the lines that would distinguish the two are more and more blurred.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:38 pm »
There's a definite difference in style. I personally feel the D&D and Lord of the Rings stuff is way more "bad-ass" looking and has a darker atmosphere. While a lot of JRPGs are colorful, and have a light, humorous undertone behind the action. With JRPGs, I generally have to really like the characters, story, or battle-system to get into them. But with western RPGs I can generally get into most, even if the story stinks, as long the battle-system isn't broken or it doesn't have an LJN-quality to it.

But yeah, I don't feel that all RPGs made in Japan are JRPGs, and I don't feel that all RPGs made in the U.S. or Europe are Western RPGs. And I also agree that modern RPGs are doing a good job of blending the two in the last few years. It's made me take a 2nd look at Final Fantasy XV, and making me consider getting it when I dropped the series after IX.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:00:18 pm by burningdoom »

mrnikon

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:53 pm »
The Last of Us is one of the worst games I have ever played.
Whoa Whoa!!! Watch your what you say there!

azure

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 01:39:37 pm »
Oh boy, here we go.

- Zelda is a highly overrated franchise
- The SNES era "Classic RPGs" is not the best or the "Golden Age" of the genre.
- The 6th Generation of consoles is the best gen by far
- There is nothing redeemable about the N64 controller
- Fighting games do benefit from stories, and the best fighters have them
- Bethesda's bug ridden games are a joke and don't deserve the immense praise
- Open world games are oversaturating the current gaming climate
- The "Only real way to play older game consoles is with a CRT Tv" argument is bs

kashell

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 01:48:45 pm »
I don't classify games based on their style, either. There are games like The 7th Saga, Shining the Holy Ark, and Warsong that feature a dark, gritty atmosphere. On the opposite end, you have things like Secret of Evermore. Again, it's all "RPG" to me.

I find it a poor choice to make RPGs more open-ended and open-world, too. That's one of my biggest issues with the Xenoblade Chronicles series.

pizzasafari

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 05:31:51 pm »

But you call Call of Duty a First Person Shooter and Gears of War a Third Person Shooter. The names might be poorly chosen but they're so named purely because the JRPG genre popularised in Japan and the WRPG genre popularised in the west. But they're two distinct genres. Final Fantasy is a JRPG and Dark Souls is, as far as I'm concerned, a WRPG. The two games are nothing alike.

If you're looking for a game in the same vein as Final Fantasy you'd be like "Yo, recommend me a JRPG". If the two words were to disappear you'd ask for RPG recommendations hoping for things like Persona and instead have games like Gothic thrown at you. It's an important distinction to make.

The same can go for Beat em Ups and Hack & Slash, Shmups and Rail Shooters, Survival Horror and Action Horror, etc. The differences are subtle but if the distinctions were to disappear it'd be a nightmare to find the right games.

You approach games like Skyrim and games like Final Fantasy expecting totally different things.

My beef is with the fact that the JRPG name is severely misused. In fact that might be where a lot of the frustration of the distinction between WRPG and JRPG comes from. Games that aren't JRPGs are being shoved under the JRPG umbrella.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 06:13:11 pm »
It'd make much more sense to separate them based on the actual content. If it's a turn based RPG, or a game with real time combat but you happen to level up every so often, it seems kinda silly to say their the same genre. Saying "oh, but one of them usually comes from America" really doesn't solve that whole issue. At all.

Maybe turn based RPG or real time RPG? Maybe don't call games that only have RPG elements RPGs at all? I don't know, but I'm sure it's possible to come up with a system far less dumb

People mix up the terms because it's incredibly counterintuitive. Using these terms, there's plenty of Japanese rpgs that don't come from Japan and plenty of western rpgs that don't come from the west, and that's stupid.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:49:27 pm by cirno »