Author Topic: Adding pics?  (Read 1580 times)

Adding pics?
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:04:59 pm »
Hi.  I need some help with the picture insertion/format here.  Typically the little ‘insert image’ (or similar) will pop up, but this forum uses the tiny picture icon which I’m not too familiar with.  Normally, it works in the same way that the avatar insertion here does — a small drop down menu appears showing my photos and allowing me to choose — but I’m not seeing it here. (?)  I know about the ‘copy image’ option when fetching random pics from the internet, but how do I access MY pics via the tiny icon?

Apologies for the wording, I’m (obviously!) NOT a very tech-oriented person.

Thanks!

Re: Adding pics?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:16:37 pm »
Hi.  I need some help with the picture insertion/format here.  Typically the little ‘insert image’ (or similar) will pop up, but this forum uses the tiny picture icon which I’m not too familiar with.  Normally, it works in the same way that the avatar insertion here does — a small drop down menu appears showing my photos and allowing me to choose — but I’m not seeing it here. (?)  I know about the ‘copy image’ option when fetching random pics from the internet, but how do I access MY pics via the tiny icon?

Apologies for the wording, I’m (obviously!) NOT a very tech-oriented person.

Thanks!
Are you talking about here on the forum?  Like how to insert a picture into a post?

Or are you talking about the pictures on the collection side of the site?

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:37:36 pm »
For the forums, you can't upload images from your computer. You'll need to insert a link to a hosted image (from another service, like imgur or flickr or whatever):

Code: [Select]
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/ShaqFu_logo.png[/img]
would appear as

For your personal images, you can upload them to a free image host and then copy the link that way. I personally use imgur or flickr.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:14:23 pm »
Ah, thanks to you both!  I’ve heard mention of ‘imgur’ (sp?), so this makes sense.  Sort of like when I used to deal with Photobucket, I suppose.
Glad you were able to decipher my Luddite jumble!   :P

....Also: Shaq Fu?  lol

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:17:21 pm »
Ah, thanks to you both!  I’ve heard mention of ‘imgur’ (sp?), so this makes sense.  Sort of like when I used to deal with Photobucket, I suppose.
Glad you were able to decipher my Luddite jumble!   :P

....Also: Shaq Fu?  lol

No problem! Haha, yeah, I was going for something random ;)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
     *TEST*

https://imgur.com/a/yfhcE

Well, looks like I can LINK to a pic, now to figure out how to have it appear HERE....
(I'm embarrassingly bad with this shit, lol.)

Side note:  Is there a way to avoid having to do the letter string/"Nintendo mascot" with each post?

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 05:14:09 pm »
     *TEST*

Well, looks like I can LINK to a pic, now to figure out how to have it appear HERE....

Ah, don't forget that you have to click on the little Mona Lisa icon to help create the image code.

You have two ways you can do it. Click on the Mona Lisa icon, and [ img ][ /img ] will pop up. In between them, you can then paste your image link.

Second way: Paste your link, then use your mouse to highlight the link. While it's highlighted, click on that Mona Lisa icon, and the little [ img ] brackets will appear around your link for you.

Side note:  Is there a way to avoid having to do the letter string/"Nintendo mascot" with each post?

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you getting some sort of verification thing when you try to post?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »
     *TEST*

Ah, don't forget that you have to click on the little Mona Lisa icon to help create the image code.

You have two ways you can do it. Click on the Mona Lisa icon, and [ img ][ /img ] will pop up. In between them, you can then paste your image link.

Second way: Paste your link, then use your mouse to highlight the link. While it's highlighted, click on that Mona Lisa icon, and the little [ img ] brackets will appear around your link for you.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you getting some sort of verification thing when you try to post?

Hmmm, well, on the imgur site I'm able to feed/drop a pic in, but then when the address/link (?) is highlighted and I hit COPY (the only option it gives), the only thing it seems to do is allow me to link to it. (??)
I tried the highlighting/Mona Lisa thing you mentioned, several times, but to no avail.  I even chose 'embed post' (whatever the hell that means) on imgur and tried it that way -- no dice.  :(
I feel like this should be a lot easier, heh....I'm obviously messing up SOMEwhere!

And yes, before each post there are two boxes towards the bottom; one asks me to repeat a string of letters, the other asks me to fill in Mario (Nintendo's mascot question).  Each time.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:05 pm »

HA!  Got it!  (Ditched imgur, signed up for Flickr!)   ;D

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:12 pm »
Ohhh, yes, Imgur made it harder to find the image link for some reason.

In case you have a imgur account:
  • go up to the top right corner
  • click on your name
  • click on images
  • click on the image you'll want to link to
  • hit the "copy" button next to the URL listed under "Direct Link"

If you don't have an account (or didn't login),
after you drag/drop your image into imgur:
  • hover over the image
  • on the right side, there will be a drop down menu that shows "get share links"

• hit "copy" next to the URL listed under "BBCode (Forums)"

(this forum uses bbcode)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 07:11:41 pm »

haha, great! I'm glad you figured it out  ;D

Also *very* weird about the string of numbers thing. Sounds like some sort of verification/not a robot thing but I've never seen it myself nor have I heard about it from other members.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:46:50 pm »

haha, great! I'm glad you figured it out  ;D

Also *very* weird about the string of numbers thing. Sounds like some sort of verification/not a robot thing but I've never seen it myself nor have I heard about it from other members.

Yeah, I find the 'flickr' place MUCH more user friendly!   

As far as the letter string thing, strangely it seems to have STOPPED.  Maybe it was happening because I just joined, some sort of 'probationary measure'?
(shrug)

Anyhow, thanks again for your detailed help!   :)