Author Topic: Documentary - Special When Lit  (Read 4051 times)

darko

Documentary - Special When Lit
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:43:17 pm »
I just found/watched a documentary on Pinball that I thought was pretty good. I'm sure most of you have seen it but I thought I'd throw this up for those of you who haven't and have an interest!

Even if you hate pinball it's worth a watch for some of the.....um.....characters :)

jobocan

Re: Documentary - Special When Lit
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
I've never heard about it actually, definitely gonna check it out soon, I love pinball so I know I'm gonna find it interesting. Thanks for mentioning it!

amauriel

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
I actually haven't watched that one yet but it's in my Netflix Queue.

I did watch Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade, about the guys from Twin Galaxies and the high scorers and how they did it with the old arcade games.

That one also felt pretty worth it, if for nothing more than the...characters...as you call them.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »
I don't know about any of you, but I watched Chasing Ghosts and the whole time I was watching it I was like... WOW, what a bunch of NERDS. I actually liked King of Kong much better.

I have Special When Lit in my Netflix Instant Queue right now, just haven't sat down and watched it yet.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:25 pm »
Scott, that's pretty much how I felt. But I coulda watched the guy with the Christmas stockings that slept on his floor and raised spiders for days. They should give that dude a reality show.

And the guys that were like "We were the best at Berserk, cuz we honored the game and this guy that has the crazy big high score broke the game." The whole time, all I was thinking was "Guy, if you had figured out how to break the game you would have done it. That's the nature of nerds."
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:57:32 am »
I'll have to check this one out since I haven't heard of it.

I did watch TILT the battle to save pinball and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So far King of Kong is still my favorite though "No more donkey kong" and "Wipe my bum" gets me every time :D

blipcs76

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:27 am »
I've not seen this one yet.  I'll have to check it out.

We did watch Chasing Ghosts last week, which is actually kind of depressing, both in seeing the arcades close down and how some of the "champs" lives turned out.  Tilt is another great pinball documentary, primarily centering around Williams attempt to save their pinball division with the holographic Pinball 2000 system.  Though it's also kind of depressing to see pinball dying out.

King of Kong is definitely the best of these game/pinball documentaries, at least which I've seen.  Lots of the guys from King of Kong are also featured in Chasing Ghosts.