Author Topic: Do you worry that disc based retro systems won't work in the future?  (Read 7322 times)

dreama1

Re: Do you worry that disc based retro systems won't work in the future?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 02:59:51 am »
That's cool, I look forward to your petty "I told you so."
Don't worry there's millions of those PCE-CD games in circulation it'll be awhile before it affects your anecdotal 5 disc collection.

scoobs22

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 07:55:28 am »
Don't worry there's millions of those PCE-CD games in circulation it'll be awhile before it affects your anecdotal 5 disc collection.

Lol I'm glad I don't take forum posts personally like you do. Seems a miserable way to live.

telly

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:07 am »
Disc life is 25 years before it starts eroding.  If you want to see what the process looks like speeded up, look at VHS tapes.

And what's the hard evidence that it's 25 years? It seems to me like your evidence is just as anecdotal
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:22 am »
Disc life is 25 years before it starts eroding.  If you want to see what the process looks like speeded up, look at VHS tapes.

And what's the hard evidence that it's 25 years? It seems to me like your evidence is just as anecdotal

Recordable optical media have a life span of 15-30 years (estimated) due to the fact that organic dyes are used to make them writable. Pressed optical media has the estimated life span of 200 years.

For magnetic tape, there is a bit of confusion on the subject. Most magnetic tape lifespan information uses the period of 10-20 years, but this value comes from a study regarding using tape to store data, and it was recommended to verify and overwrite the data every 10-20 years to verify storage. This is not a lifecycle statement at all. As it should be obvious that magnetic tape from 40-50 years ago is still usable today.

telly

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04:42 am »
Well and I think the issue with the statement that "Disc life is that 25 years" (or x years for that matter), is that it implies that all discs have a hard, definitive lifespan of that time. Which as scoobs mentioned, isn't the case.

If you said "25 years give or take depending on how it's stored and used" that would be a more accurate statement. But it seems like according to trip it stretches well beyond 25 anyway.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

dreama1

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 03:05:58 pm »

Lol I'm glad I don't take forum posts personally like you do. Seems a miserable way to live.
Lol strange it sure looks like you do? What's with the angry messages and what's it got to do with what I said? Maybe stay on point?

"Seems a miserable way to live."  I think your projecting about yourself buddy.

dreama1

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 03:12:06 pm »
Well and I think the issue with the statement that "Disc life is that 25 years" (or x years for that matter), is that it implies that all discs have a hard, definitive lifespan of that time. Which as scoobs mentioned, isn't the case.

If you said "25 years give or take depending on how it's stored and used" that would be a more accurate statement. But it seems like according to trip it stretches well beyond 25 anyway.
  I didn't mean it has spontaneous combustion the day it turns 25 years of age. Who the hell knows how long the erosion period would last, it could easily take another 25 years. Adding the anecdotal of I own 5 discs that are older than 25 years doesn't add much or mean anything. In fact it could easily be eroding without showing obvious signs.

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:51 pm »

There's no firm, predictable number of years as you're suggesting. I have nearly 40 TG-CD/PCE-CD games that have survived 25 years and not a single one has signs of becoming degraded. The quality of manufacturing and the way the disc has been handled are two factors that you have to consider.
scoobs22, anecdotal evidence means nothing you know? 25 years passing doesn't mean the suddenly break, it means the risk starts to climb from this point onwards.

Yes, I understand that. I also understand that when media manufacturers put a lifespan on their products, they don't really know if it's accurate, and they err on the side of caution to cover themselves. When it comes to how discs are holding up, I guess my collection is all I care about, and my collection is fine.
Worth bumping this thread in the future then. The PCE-CD is a regarded as a high risk with it's discs in particular. Dracula x has a lot of dead discs from disc rot.

I have rarely seen disc rot discussed on any forums etc as far as dead discs go from disc rot let alone of a paticular game such as rondo of blood for the pc engine cd. It is an earlier cd based system so on paper it should have a higher risk than newer cd based systems nothing else.

in general I have not seen many people complain about disc rot and if they have in many cases the discs were abused not the greatest shape found at a flea market garage sale etc etc, it is out there for sure but It's never very clear how the discs were kept not to mention the scale of disc rot on even the older sega based cd games it's pretty rare atm.

I'm very curious where you got this info from as far as the many supposedly dead discs of rondo of blood by disc rot.

and while older cd based games have a higher chance of disc rot these are still game discs they were made allot sturdier than normal discs wich have an even higher chance of disc rot since game discs were products that would have been expected to be used/ replayed allot not to mention by kids.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:32:43 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 10:52:32 am »
I didn't mean it has spontaneous combustion the day it turns 25 years of age. Who the hell knows how long the erosion period would last, it could easily take another 25 years. Adding the anecdotal of I own 5 discs that are older than 25 years doesn't add much or mean anything. In fact it could easily be eroding without showing obvious signs.

That's pretty much exaxtly the claim you made though, which is why I brought it up. And it's why scoobs called you out on it too.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

scoobs22

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 04:15:16 am »

Lol strange it sure looks like you do? What's with the angry messages and what's it got to do with what I said? Maybe stay on point?

"Seems a miserable way to live."  I think your projecting about yourself buddy.

I think it's all there for anyone to read. You accused me of using anecdotal evidence (which I absolutely did), then insulted my collection after I said that none of the discs are degrading, then used your own anecdotal evidence (Castlevania). Like a truly miserable person who's just looking for a fight. I'm finished with you.

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2018, 08:32:25 pm »
I think somebody out there will make a device to play the disc based games on. I never bought the Turbo Grafx CD player back in the day, but could play the discs on my PC (Magic Engine I think).

I personally haven't encountered any disc games in my collection that don't work anymore. I'm starting to come across DVD's and Blu Rays in my collection that don't work though. They look brand new. No finger prints, scratches or scuffs. Lady in the Water and Crank were the latest 2 DVD's I found that froze on the same spot on every player I used. First Blood part II Blu Ray was garbage, brand new out of the wrapper. Over a year or so went by before I decided to open it unfortunately.

aetherorange

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 01:17:31 pm »
All I hope is that my systems outlive me. I'm not particularly worried, but if they die, hopefully they can be repaired. If not then, well, I had my good times with them or find another that works. I don't want to press my luck but my SNES/N64/PS1/PS2/GCN all work flawlessly like the day I got them so I am not overly concerned.

alkaid

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 01:30:37 pm »
"Well, as long as my collection outlives me."
Thiiiis just in, scientists have found a reliable way to achieve a longer life span with the help of this new...
"Fudge."

Call me crazy, but that's what I'm worried about, unironically.
No, really.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »
There are alot of similarities to fans of video game fans to that of the auto industry as well.  By that I mean as long as we are here ( the fans ) the games will be here too.  Just like restoring an old sports car or refusing to let the old family conversion van to rust away we too will preserve the tech.  I think very far off, like generations away, the game will exists in a new habitat.  I cant help but reflect on the talking rings from H.G. Wells The Time Machine but I am a bit of a romantic.

sergreyjoy

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2018, 03:34:28 pm »
Everything will be irrelevant once we are plugged in the Matrix  8)