Author Topic: Whats the point of collecting sealed games?  (Read 4030 times)

Re: Whats the point of collecting sealed games?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
This my seem silly but its kept me out of trouble and away from burning out.  Not everyone is like me (thank goodness) and you just have to find whats best for you...even if that's a sealed experience.

Nothing is silly in that hobby, i think there is as many way of collecting than there is people who collect, look at me for example i don't like making money with my hobby so i don't sell my dupes, i try to trade them with others collectors or i give them away sometimes (and that is, for most people, really silly right  ;) ?). I even knew a PS1 & PS2 collector who didn't care about the games, he only care about the boxes (i remember that he sorted them by item numbers, and he didn't even care if the disc was inside or not, the only thing that mattered was the spine, it needed to be perfect).

Back to topic, i think i already answered that on another thread but i don't really care about sealed games, i always buy a game with the intention of playing it and the plastic around the box prevents me to do it (well... most of the time i pass on them because the price is too high anyway), but it happens sometimes that i find one cheap (it happens a lot with PC games, they're so cheap that people buy them by lot but don't even have the time to play with them, they don't even bother to open them).

Recent games that i find sealed (X360/PS3/Wii or more recent, and DVD case for PC) i open them directly (i don't even bother checking if the game could be rare or not), for games more ancient than that i try to trade them with another collector for a CIB copy of the same game (of course without the bothering thing around it  ;)) and sadly if i can't find anyone to trade it with... well the next time i'm in the mood to play with it i will open that game without hesitation (right now i actually have one sealed game to trade but after more than a year i found no one to trade it with, it's a PAL UK/FR variant of Ace Combat Advance, but i'm not in the mood for some Ace Combat lately so the plastic is safe... for now).

Another reason that i don't collect sealed games is basically what oldgamerz said previously.

What if you keep a video game sealed for years and years. and whoever opens that game finds no game in the box or sealed case?

I have a terribly bad luck when it comes to new games, sealed boxes without disc inside or with the wrong disc... it happened to me more than a few times, so with my luck this sort of things will probably happen.

My first bad luck case:

Resident Evil 2 was one of my birthday gifts for 1999 but i was too focused on FF7 (that i got at the same time) to even bother opening it until months after... :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:07:06 pm by metshael »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 04:11:01 pm »
^ Ouch.

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 04:20:54 pm »
did that resident evil have the original ps1 seal since it is an european copy.

So with the ps1 logo on the tear strip.

I have seen plenty of reseals with generic seals and in the US it's pretty hard to determine when it is a genuine factory seal since it does not have any indicatation of the seal being from nintendo or sony other than the sides and folds on the seal wich might give an indication what would be correct,

Also in europe there were plenty of stores wich open the games cases to check the games etc however the original seal is gone and it has been replaced by a generic seal by a reseal machine etc.

in your case it seems like a store employee screwed up and swapped the discs by mistake before resealing. I can imagine it being very rare if it was actually an original ps1 seal so your pretty lucky if that was indeed an original ps1 factory seal. Considering that you experienced it allot i might guess you were getting games at a certain store wich resealed games that's not normal stuff.

As far as factory sealed today goes. the really expensive stuff is not going to get opened so even if the game is broken or wrong it will not be used or seen anyway. It makes no sense since a used copy is allot cheaper if your going to use it anyway.

People who collecty factory sealed just want a perfect copy. Certain fans of certain series want a game in perfect shape they have a used copy and will not use the brand new copy anyways as far as non hardcore factory sealed collectors go.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:30:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
Almost twenty years after i don't really remember, i was a kid back then, i remember tearing a plastic but don't remember if it had the tear strip (i don't remember that i had trouble tearing it so i guess it had a tear strip but to say if it had the Playstation logo on it or not...). But that was just the first case, it happened to me more than a few times, sealed games with the official tear strip bought on the day of release, last time it happened was two years ago with the Limited Edition of Dishonored 2 on PS4, the game had the right disc, no problem on this side but the rest of the box empty so i didn't had the papers with the codes to download the DLC and the digital copy of Dishonored 1... of course no problem now since i open my games directly in the shop after paying to check them (the owner know me and know how lucky i am...  ;D).

in your case it seems like a store employee screwed up and swapped the discs by mistake before resealing. I can imagine it being very rare if it was actually an original ps1 seal so your pretty lucky if that was indeed an original ps1 factory seal. Considering that you experienced it allot i might guess you were getting games at a certain store wich resealed games that's not normal stuff.

Could be for the Resident Evil 2 copy but i moved a lot in twenty years and the actual shop owner where i buy my new games is a friend i have since we were kids so i trust him (and he take care of each "lucky case" i get, and it seems to be bothering to contact his provider each time). And that is the story of why i like to buy used games instead of new & sealed games ;D (or even digital copy directly for PC).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:58:50 pm by metshael »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 04:57:43 pm »
It's not a pricey game anymore, since there's been better releases of it since. But for a while there, it was.

ferraroso

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:08 pm »
Just decided to reply to this post now because of something that happened to me recently.

I never pay more for having a sealed game. Actually, I'd prefer paying more for having an unsealed copy of it for one simple reason: Whenever I buy a sealed retro game, I never have the needed courage to open it.
Recently, I found Layer Section II (RayStorm) for the Saturn for only ¥1,500 (a little under US$14,00), which is already a pretty good price for a shooter on that console and, when I got back home, I noticed it was still sealed...
I don't think I will ever have the guts to break the seal of a good game like this that, for some reason, has been kept unopened for over 20 years, so it is currently seating sealed in a special place on my collection...

Overall, what I want to say is that, sometimes, I've actually given up on buying some games just because they are sealed, but once a sealed retro game finds its way into my collection, it is probably never going to be opened...

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 09:21:19 pm »
The only games in my collection that I planned on never opening were the collectors editions. Everything else in my collection that is still sealed, I never got around to playing.

I also picked up many RPGs or non greatest hits etc. from the bargain bins or clearance shelves when I would see them. Back in my early 20's I knew a lot of collectors who did the same and we could trade with each other.