Author Topic: Do You Buy Something Just Because It's Rare Or Fun Factor?  (Read 4392 times)

Re: Do You Buy Something Just Because It's Rare Or Fun Factor?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 03:21:01 pm »
Also, lol greatest hits editions

Whats wrong with greatest hits? I never understood why people scoff at greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice/nintendo select versions... Like I understand wanting to collect the originals, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with these other versions... they are the same exact game. For me its a chance to grab a great game at a potentially lower price. So I guess keep laughing at them so I can keep buying cheaper games!

kashell

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 03:29:01 pm »
I buy something because I want to play it.

Whats wrong with greatest hits? I never understood why people scoff at greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice/nintendo select versions... Like I understand wanting to collect the originals, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with these other versions... they are the same exact game. For me its a chance to grab a great game at a potentially lower price. So I guess keep laughing at them so I can keep buying cheaper games!

Personally, I think the bright reds, yellows and greens look out place and weird randomly dispersed amongst the regular colors. I don't like how it looks. I feel the same about steel book editions.

That said, I won't "scoff" at them. I just spend a few extra bucks for the OG version and let someone else enjoy the GH version. Both parties end up happy.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 03:57:23 pm »

Man don't even get me started.

It's no different than any collector's item. Some people want the black label because it's the original. Why would anyone want an original Babe Ruth baseball card when they can just buy a reprint? Why would anyone spend 3 million dollars on the Action Comics that Superman first appeared in when they can just buy a reprint? 

Heck, why not just emulate everything it's the exact same games right.

Why don't we just read the manuals as PDFs on our computer instead of getting originals. 

Originals, first pressings, first editions etc. etc. are inherently better thought of in all kinds of collector markets. It's just the way it is.

You can buy greatest hits editions for less? You can probably get a reprint of a Picasso painting for less too, it's still not as cool as his original painting.

The hits/choice editions are gross non-uniform stylings and colours, not to mention.

Buying the original release is like buying a first edition book. It's older man it's just better. Most "Greatest Hits" covers have ugly colours and big banners obscuring the artwork so the originals are aesthetically better. Collectors who store games on shelves usually want their games to be uniform in colour and design, and most "Greatest Hits" releases have different designs that clash with the others.

Some greatest hits versions have black and white instead of colour manuals to save money later in a console lifespan.

Some original releases have extras not found in greatest hits versions.

Having the first run black label is sort of like having the first run of a comic. Yeah the content is the same on a reprint or greatest hits but man you know that shiz is not legit.

Greatest hits editions are just really gross looking. Greatest hits type releases usually mess with the cover, minimising the size of the cover art, and add terrible colours that clash with original release colours and are just in and of themselves gaudy.

Isn't it blatantly obvious why originals are vastly superior?

In Europe, the discs of Platinum (on both PS1 and PS2) are just plain silver discs with black printing of the name and console. No art on the disc. A platinum copy of a PS2 game has an awful silver border all around the cover art and crap.

Man I don't want to talk about this anymore, it upsets me just to think about.

It's like collecting 2nd printings of a comic book, it's like filling your shelf with inferior products, it's like sticking a bright green object among a pile of black objects - it's madness I say, madness!

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:42 pm »

I think you missed my point, Like I said I totally get why people collect originals vs greatest hits... I just dont understand why people talk crap about greatest hits.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 04:57:45 pm »

I think you missed my point, Like I said I totally get why people collect originals vs greatest hits... I just dont understand why people talk crap about greatest hits.
Because they are ugly af and basically second prints in what is a collectors hobby. I did take the time to explain this above.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 05:13:28 pm »
Just because you don't like the color of a cover, or the fact that something is a second printing, doesn't make it inferior... Its the same exact game. By all means you can collect how ever you want, I just don't think there is any reason to knock these variants.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
For the record I don't not pick up greatest hits and whatnot I just upgrade it when I find a non greatest hits copy.  Also there are people who specifically seek out variants subsets.  And second prints usually don't go for as much money but they are not worthless.  Often times greatest hits are less common than the non greatest hits titles and some even go for more money like the player's choice Mario World for example.

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 07:53:38 pm »
Just because you don't like the color of a cover, or the fact that something is a second printing, doesn't make it inferior... Its the same exact game. By all means you can collect how ever you want, I just don't think there is any reason to knock these variants.

nobody is knocking these platinum greatest hit variants.

Many people appreciate the lower costs and the same or in very rare cases less glicthed gameplay.

Simple fact is compared to the original release the cover art has an ugly boarder instead of the full cover art or more neutral coloured black border fitting the box a bit nicer

Nobody is knocking these variants but if people had a choice they'd rather have a first edition full cover art or black lable variant wich also looks a bit better on the shelves.

Some people go as far as not including an platinum greatest hit release in their collection period wich seems logical since otherwise you would need to spend money twice before getting a black label one or buy a greatest hits as a placeholder before selling it off for a black lable or full cover art first edition.

The only reason why people prefer a black label full cover first edition version is because the box just looks slightly and sometimes a whole lot better.

Besides the people wanting them games only for gameplay are usually the ones appreciating platinum releases since they are cheaper to get it's mostly collectors hence the importance of a better looking box that would rather not have a platinum greatest hits release.

Personally I will say that greatest hits or platinum variant are pretty bad looking in comparison but gameplay wise they are the same
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:08:05 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

telly

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 10:30:38 pm »
And more often then not Greatest Hits releases will fix glitches or even add new content.

Silent Hill 2 is more expensive/sought after as a GH release than black label, for example.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:32:11 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

azure

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:33 am »
I only buy things I would like to play, unfortunately sometimes said thing is rare :/

aetherorange

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:40 pm »
I only buy games I find fun or want to play. I understand the appeal to own games that are rare just for the sake of them being rare regardless of how good or bad they are, but I can never get behind that mentality myself. If games I like are common and cheap, all the better for me!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
I use to in the past, when you could actually find stuff out at retail stores. I had a group of friends that I could trade with. We all lived/worked in different cities. Lately just been buying stuff to play.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »

It's physical objects, being collected, by fans of a primarily visual media. 'Being ugly' is a pretty big problem. You'll note not many are bothered by the variants considered to be ascetically inoffensive- your platinum hits, your Nintendo selects, etc.

I think there may also be a tiny bit of gamer cred at stake... after all, you don't get a greatest hits release unless you were, in fact, a great hit. Meaning everyone played the game ages ago. A greatest hits version on your shelf clearly reads "I did not play this when it was new"... which implies "I'm not gamer enough to have known it was good." A very tiny and pointless thing, really- but if people can have dick-waving contests over shit like PC vs. Console and 'my genre is better than your genre', why not throw 'I was here first' onto the pile?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

It's physical objects, being collected, by fans of a primarily visual media. 'Being ugly' is a pretty big problem. You'll note not many are bothered by the variants considered to be ascetically inoffensive- your platinum hits, your Nintendo selects, etc.

I think there may also be a tiny bit of gamer cred at stake... after all, you don't get a greatest hits release unless you were, in fact, a great hit. Meaning everyone played the game ages ago. A greatest hits version on your shelf clearly reads "I did not play this when it was new"... which implies "I'm not gamer enough to have known it was good." A very tiny and pointless thing, really- but if people can have dick-waving contests over shit like PC vs. Console and 'my genre is better than your genre', why not throw 'I was here first' onto the pile?

I like getting the non-greatest hits versions. It’s like getting a first print of a record or comic. I just like them better

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 09:55:25 pm »
I cosign all the GH points. I have been for the most part trying to replace what I can in terms of what I have GH with non-GH because I personally like the black label better on the PS2 as well as the PS1 vs. the green labels. Same goes with the solid red PS3 covers vs. the black label and transparent PS3 covers. As it stands, I have a few left on my PS2 collection.

To answer the question, I say I now lean towards fun factor. I used to be of the mindset of such and such is rare so I must have it even though chances are I wont play it for sometime. The mindset now is if I want this then it better be played sooner than later.