Author Topic: Do you plan your purchases at all?  (Read 2779 times)

Do you plan your purchases at all?
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:49:16 am »
You know like a monthly budget, or a wishlist of things to pick up on payday, or scheduling time in your mind for when you'll go to a retro game store, or putting money aside for a game you know is coming out later this year, or some other mechanism of anticipating buying things?

Or are you totally spontaneous?

pizzasafari

Re: Do you plan your purchases at all?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:02:20 pm »
At the start of every month I write the names of games I'm interested in numerous times on hundreds of pieces of paper, then I get a large, hollowed out cardboard sphere, cut a moderately-sized hole in it and stuff all the paper into it. I tie the ball to the tail of a plane by a piece of string and fly across the Atlantic so that the paper is propelled out of the hole as the I fly over the ocean, then land on a designated island off the coast of America and wait by the shore until pieces of paper start washing up. The first three game names to reach the island up are the ones I decide to buy. If I get three of the same name come up then I call that a pizza jackpot and spend the game money on having a month's supply of pizza delivered instead. It sucks if they turn up three different games because then I can't afford any pizza.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
At the start of every month I write the names of games I'm interested in numerous times on hundreds of pieces of paper, then I get a large, hollowed out cardboard sphere, cut a moderately-sized hole in it and stuff all the paper into it. I tie the ball to the tail of a plane by a piece of string and fly across the Atlantic so that the paper is propelled out of the hole as the I fly over the ocean, then land on a designated island off the coast of America and wait by the shore until pieces of paper start washing up. The first three game names to reach the island up are the ones I decide to buy. If I get three of the same name come up then I call that a pizza jackpot and spend the game money on having a month's supply of pizza delivered instead. It sucks if they turn up three different games because then I can't afford any pizza.

Funny I have almost the same method. except that I let my cats and dogs play with the sphere. they will eventually bat out a bunch of the papers and for some reason eat them... so I wait until their bowl movements happen and hose them down. the first piece of paper out from each of my 4 animals are the games I buy.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:23:31 pm »

What happens when zero pieces of paper show up? Also the waiting game, what are your personal limits as far as time goes if your ritual takes allot longer than usual?
Your Stylish Sword Master!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »
I have to say im starting to enjoy this that was laugh out loud funny great answers.

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »
What happens when zero pieces of paper show up? Also the waiting game, what are your personal limits as far as time goes if your ritual takes allot longer than usual?

I stay forever and ever. I'm actually still on my first attempt. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever make it out alive. I've run out of pizza so now I'm having to eat the plane.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »
No the doubles I get generally result in 2x to 3x what I put into it

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 09:11:20 pm »
Haha no, I buy everything on a whim. The only exceptions are events/cons that happen annually.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

kypherion

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:12:48 pm »

I think seether just got T-R-O-L-L-E-D!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »

What happens if in the process of flying the plane explodes along with all the paper resulting in ashes upon ashes of paper that can affected the air quality in the surrounding area?

pizzasafari

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 10:58:38 pm »
What happens if in the process of flying the plane explodes along with all the paper resulting in ashes upon ashes of paper that can affected the air quality in the surrounding area?

I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Surviving on this desert island with no pizza and no plane with only a cardboard ball for company is higher on my priorities right now.

Update: I have now eaten the cardboard ball.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:04:02 pm by pizzasafari »

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 03:44:20 am »
I'll be honest in my post, and tell you that I don't plan my purchases, but I do often watch Youtube to get an edge on what games to buy or that look fun :)
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:47 am »
You know like a monthly budget, or a wishlist of things to pick up on payday, or scheduling time in your mind for when you'll go to a retro game store, or putting money aside for a game you know is coming out later this year, or some other mechanism of anticipating buying things?

Or are you totally spontaneous?
yes.

kashell

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 08:20:24 am »
I like to cut out circular pieces of paper and write the names of things I want on them. I'll paste them on a Twister mat and play as long as I can before I fall. Where I land determines what I buy.

https://youtu.be/K7Wb-X6BEMY

I almost started doing this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:22:21 am by kashell »

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:06:17 am »
All I do, is make sure the bills & the important stuff is paid for. After that? Maybe there's a game I've been wanting & go find. Maybe I find one on a whim. Maybe I buy something else. Maybe I look over the ol' Amazon wishlist & pick something. Or maybe I throw it into the 'gaming fund' to congeal with other leftover money, so when the urge to get a new Saturn game comes along, I can afford it. The only 'planned' part is buy the important stuff first!

I mean, I do games for fun. Why turn it into work over-planning?

Well I wish I could think of something like that on the fly- it's too early in the monring...