Author Topic: It feels better buying Switch games than PS4/XB1 games  (Read 2301 times)

It feels better buying Switch games than PS4/XB1 games
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:32:15 am »
Because they hold their value for much longer and I feel like less of a chump for buying early xD

Re: It feels better buying Switch games than PS4/XB1 games
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:24 am »
joke--What kind of switch?--joke
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:08:43 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:59 am »
To one his/her own. Most multiplats I prefer on the PS4 and typically on these games the difference in price is minimal on the second hand market. But yes, exclusive Nintendo games typically hold their value way better than PS4 or XBONE exclusives.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:08:42 am »
I am not aware that they hold their value better than the general market. Nintendo first party games 100% is true, overall Nintendo dev'd games hold value more than any other dev. but switch games are not all made by Nintendo so yeah... the only thing I can think of is you are not taking into consideration all of the variables that affect game value. for one the switch is only 1 year and 4 months old where as the xbone and ps4 are both 4.5 years old so there is bound to be significantly more value slip for a game that released 4 years ago vs 1 year ago (early system life games).

personally to me the game library appears to be depreciating at the same rate if lined up for system release.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:03:43 pm »
I nearly always feel conflicted.

Most times I am buying it overpriced and for the second time on the Switch because I want the portability.

But knowing I’m getting it at inferior quality to a another system I typically end up buying it for the XBoxOneX as well.

I also now trust MS more to support my current and past games on future platforms.

I no longer have any faith in SONY/Nintendo supporting my previous investments in their platforms.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:05:44 pm »
In this (and last generation) games will hold their value if they are able to be used as-is, without requiring an update to run. Cartridge games may be better off in the long run in this way. I have not used a Switch, so I do not know what the percentage of "requires update to play" games they have...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »
I could care less about if it holds value or not. I just want it to be fun. If I'm selling a game, it's because I didn't like it, not because it went up in value.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:32:51 pm »
Because they hold their value for much longer and I feel like less of a chump for buying early xD

I don't buy games for holding value because I don't sell games hardly ever so it's not much of a factor. If I was into hoarding treasure for value i'd flip houses, rebuild vintage cars and collect art. Not knocking the thought process, I just never got why people are so infatuated with value in their collections as if they are only buying them with the intent to sell them down the road.   I always here the "this is worth 400 bucks" whenever someone shows me something and the first thought that comes to my mind is that they really don't care about the item outside of it being rare. 

I do agree that sometimes it feels magical to buy a big N game though :).  They have that childhood vibe, makes you feel so happy popping in the new pokemon.  It's just more nostalgic and special to me.   But i'd say I enjoy XB1 as a whole more and buy more of it's games.  :D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:32 pm »
In this (and last generation) games will hold their value if they are able to be used as-is, without requiring an update to run. Cartridge games may be better off in the long run in this way. I have not used a Switch, so I do not know what the percentage of "requires update to play" games they have...

Switch has a much worse problem.

Several of the games:

Mega Man Legacy Collection
Bayonetta Collection
Resident Evil Collection
LA Noire

And more don’t even have all of the game content on the cartridge.

So once the servers go dark it’s not that you’ll have a buggy game, it’s that you’ll be missing large portions of the game and be unable to finish or even begin it if you don’t have it installed and downloaded already.

Check the fine print on the case.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »

I don't buy games for holding value because I don't sell games hardly ever so it's not much of a factor. If I was into hoarding treasure for value i'd flip houses, rebuild vintage cars and collect art. Not knocking the thought process, I just never got why people are so infatuated with value in their collections as if they are only buying them with the intent to sell them down the road.   I always here the "this is worth 400 bucks" whenever someone shows me something and the first thought that comes to my mind is that they really don't care about the item outside of it being rare. 

I do agree that sometimes it feels magical to buy a big N game though :).  They have that childhood vibe, makes you feel so happy popping in the new pokemon.  It's just more nostalgic and special to me.   But i'd say I enjoy XB1 as a whole more and buy more of it's games.  :D.

You and burmingdoom missed my point entirely.

I’m not saying retained value is good for future selling. I’m saying because they retain value for longer you don’t have to feel as bad for buying close to release that if you waited a little while it would plummet in price (allowing you to buy it for less) as is the case with Sony/MS releases typically after a couple month even.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »

I do agree that sometimes it feels magical to buy a big N game though :).  They have that childhood vibe, makes you feel so happy popping in the new pokemon.  It's just more nostalgic and special to me.   But i'd say I enjoy XB1 as a whole more and buy more of it's games.  :D.

I’m not saying retained value is good for future selling. I’m saying because they retain value for longer you don’t have to feel as bad for buying close to release that if you waited a little while it would plummet in price (allowing you to buy it for less) as is the case with Sony/MS releases typically after a couple month even.

My answer is still the same. If I buy a game, it's because I want to play it. Value doesn't come into my thoughts. I don't feel bad for spending money on games.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:05:17 pm »
Yeah a game dropping in price by ten or twenty bucks a few months down the line isn't important at all too me.  If the game is good, then it's usually worth whatever the price I bought it at.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 05:36:57 pm »

Buying close to release has nothing to do with value- anybody with even the slightest bit of experience shopping for games knows you save by waiting, every time. Buying at/close to release is about relevance. The Shadow of the Colossus remake was a huge deal- 5 months ago. Far Cry 5, God of War, Detroit: Become Human- all big releases with lots of conversation, jokes, memes- also all irrelevant now. When you buy early, you're basically buying into that community, to be part of that discussion, to be the person those who buy later (by choice or necessity) go to when they want to ask which game is really worth their money. This means that, if you're not going to play a game at release, or if you don't typically join in the discourse, it can feel really foolish to buy early- you're not getting anything out of it.

It's easier to pick up a Switch game for full price later becuase, quite simply, very few Nintendo games get that kind of saturation into gaming culture. Breath of the Wild did it, but that's... that's kind of it. Super Mario Odyssey got attention, but not to the same level. And I don't see people whipping themselves into a frenzy over Octopath Traveler's impending release- it's about the same dull roar it's had for its whole pre-release run. That's the trick- Nintendo's relevance is fairly consistent these days. It's timeless. There's no flash-in-the-pan popularity you have to catch early or miss entirely. It makes just as much sense to analyze or joke about Super Mario World for SNES as for Odyssey. You know that, whenever you buy in, there's a community waiting for you, if & when you're ready to join it. It's like being childless & buying a couple Disney movies for if your friends with kids stop by- Hotel Transylvania 3 might be 'in' now, but they won't care in 3 months & you'll have to worry about them trashing your stuff out of boredom. On the other hand- damn near everyone likes The Lion King, including adults- you may even watch it on your own.

In short- Nintendo is like Disney, in that they can get away with things their competition simply can't do.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:21 pm »
I don't feel bad for spending money on games.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:07:53 pm by Cartagia »

aliensstudios

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 06:33:44 pm »
Oh man, I can't tell you how many times I bought a game for 60 bucks and it dropped to 40 like three or four months later. Oh my God I felt like such a chump! I only bought it because I though it would hold value but it didn't! Now I only buy games for the Switch because they sell for more on the used market cuz I'm smart xD

Seriously though, who buys a game for msrp and then sees it discounted and starts "feeling bad" about it? As long as you feel like you got your money's worth, what difference does 10, 20 or even 30 or more dollars make? It's like those people who stand in line on Black Friday to save like four dollars on a product.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."