Author Topic: SONY PSP, or Nintendo DS or Both For You?  (Read 3825 times)

kypherion

Re: SONY PSP, or Nintendo DS or Both For You?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 06:01:38 pm »
Oh, I forgot to say the main critical flaw of the DS was shoehorned touch screen mechanics i.e. the magic seals in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is the first example that comes to mind.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 07:05:02 pm »
Oh, I forgot to say the main critical flaw of the DS was shoehorned touch screen mechanics i.e. the magic seals in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is the first example that comes to mind.
Agreed.  Big N seemed to learn their lesson eventually, as I don’t think there are that many 3DS games where it is an issue.

greenman

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
Love the PSP. Never played DS. If I ever run into DS in the wild, sure I'll pick it up. I heard there some decent games for it.

pizzasafari

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 09:39:14 am »
As hardware, neither for me. Really not a fan of the things. PSP is clunky and noisy and hard to use, DS is similarly clunky and uncomfortable, the stylus controls are an annoying gimmick that ruined nearly every game they were shoehorned into and the dual screens I find distracting. I feel pretty much the same way about the 3DS though it at least has bigger screens.

In terms of games, DS by a landslide. Mainly because of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:41:02 am by pizzasafari »

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 08:36:47 pm »
I don’t really play too many handhelds. I only have the original PSP and the DS.
That analog stick on the PSP use to hurt my thumb after a half hour or so. I didn’t care for the gimmicky features on the DS like drawing paterns with the stylus in Castlevania or actually blowing out candles in Zelda.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:39:15 pm »
I love both systems.  They also both have amazing diverse libraries.  I wish the PSP wasn't so noisy though, I much prefer the vita.  I wish there was a way to play my physical UMDS on Vita as that is my favorite handheld.

stealthrush

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:05 am »
At first I was impressed with PSP hardware & design compared to NDS. It wasn't until Nintendo DS Lite, I realized the games were more fun to play on the go compared to PSP at least to me. The DS had touch mechanic, colorful graphics, quick loading times, unique and original games that was my go-to handheld for some time.

Eventually after a few years on the market I went ahead and bought a PSP. Caught up playing some really excellent software with amazing graphics. Although I personally prefer playing PSP games on a large screen, especially when it comes to RPGs.

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
The Psp line is obviously better in terms of hardware, but the DS and 3DS have such good libraries it's almost nuts, so I'd take those first in a heartbeat. There's good PSP games, but you really have to do your homework to find them.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 03:53:03 pm »
I have both, but I would say the PSP have better quality games overall, covering all the style. You could also download Playstation 1 games.

And the screen look a lot better that any DS variant. And some model could be connected to your TV.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »
Well since PSOne, PS2, PSP, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, DS.  I would consider the golden age, for collectors/gamers, were you dont deal with bs of DLC,expansions packs, updates, storages, etc,etc bs. i would say both.  Cause collecting for those generations is best cause you getting full package.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 10:47:14 am »
GBA (the SP specifically with it's backlit screen) beats both...just wanted to add that. Such a damn good library on that handheld, and then the backwards compatibility just adds to that greatness.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »
I owned both when both were being supported and I played my DS 10:1 over the PSP. The PSP is an excellent console, don't get me wrong, but I found more games on the DS more appealing and still do. And if you have a pre-DSi model you can play GBA games as well, which makes it even more appealing.

The PSP was definitely the JRPG handheld platform of choice though. It had a lot more than the DS, although the quality of some of them is definitely questionable.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 02:37:20 am »
Both.

As someone interested in the games more than anything, I like to appreciate all platforms. :)