Author Topic: SONY PSP, or Nintendo DS or Both For You?  (Read 3989 times)

SONY PSP, or Nintendo DS or Both For You?
« on: July 15, 2018, 09:40:56 pm »
I always was curious about the PSP (PlayStation Portable) but never owned either handheld. The Nintendo DS looks vary tempting to buy as well.

I don't really like handhelds anymore but I am just curious, if you prefer you had one or the other or both?

Maybe those who had or own one could tell me, or anyone else who never owned one about it your experience, with either?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:50:46 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

kypherion

Re: SONY PSP, or Nintendo DS or Both For You?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:45:11 pm »
I only have a DS so you can call me biased but I'd choice the DS. It can play GBA and DS games which essentially means it is open for two libraries of games. DS download play is decent and neither library is lacking IMO.

To be fair it's pretty much preference.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:05:28 pm »
PSP probably has a more superior console spec wise, it's graphics were better and it had a larger better screen but it not being able to collapse nor be really pocketable led to scratched screens,  the UMD software was very unreliable and overall the console just wasn't the take everywhere kinda fun DS was.   

If we are including predecessors Vita vs 3DS as well than it becomes more one sided as the vita is a failure.

But keeping it between DS vs PSP i'd say depends on what you want out of the console. If you want to carry a case around and want amazing RPGs and diverse PS2 and other sony titles at the palm of your hand that i'd say PSP. But if you want a purist's portable, the folding pocketable nature of the DS along with being able to play GBA games and the massive library of Pokemons and Mario games.  I think i'd choose DS.   :).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:49:57 am »
I own a PSP and a 3DS XL, both. Both are fantastic handhelds with great screens and rich libraries of games.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:41:48 pm by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:37 am »
I'm team PSP, but the DS is excellent. I've had both for a while.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:17:38 am »
If we are talking just straight DS, don't forget that this is the model that has GBA backwards compatibility, which is nothing to sneeze at.  It would definitely be the deciding factor for me.

But if we are talking PSP vs 3DS?  I'd still go 3DS with out the compatibility, because the 3DS library is bonkers good.

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:55 am »
I will take the PSP any day!
One of my favorite systems ever!

shfan

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
Both, definitely, they've both got large and varied catalogues, loads of exclusives, they're excellent systems. I'm not big on handhelds either, I'd rather gawk at a modern flatscreen TV than some tiny little screen, but they do come in handy for trips or when you want to just tuck yourself away somewhere comfortable and get absorbed. If the opportunity to get one cheap does arise then you could do a heck of a lot worse.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 05:05:50 pm »
I still consider DS to be one of my favorite consoles in general, but once I got a PSP, I was really happy with it. Great specs for what it was, and some really excellent RPGs on it. DS just did so much good stuff with the dual screens, imo.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »
Both are great systems with lots of great games but the battery life for the psp is really weak so I give the edge to the DS.

thewelshman

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:48 pm »
I always loved my PSP and it had a lot more games available than people realize. Plus, you can export the iso of a Japanese game, merge it with its sub file, and import it back to a modded PSP. The sub community is decently sized with several JRPGs getting quality fan translations.

azure

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »
Both are great for me, lots of good games on both.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
I have both systems and while both have allot of good games there is in my opinion no competition

The only strong point that I can give a psp is the slight edge for some good 3d games or the 3d rpg's wich are usually inferior towards ps2 rpg's anyways but lacking on the ds.

DS also has allot rpg's and are equal if not better in the old school 2d department thanks to ports of chrono trigger dragon quest V or original titels as radiant historia advance wars fire emblem to name some examples.

as far as other genre's go Nintendo has the most variation as far as quality titles go. Psp only seems to have especially rpg's going for them and while the psp has some arcade ports etc, the titles are not really exclusive on that platform and are usually better played elsewhere with ease while the ds has many unique titles in many genre's that make people have to especially use that system.

The ds is a jack of all trades many genre's and aside from the many quirky games also a pretty solid first party mascot filled library.

The psp does not even have solid mascots that can compete not to mention the lack of other genre's other than rpg's in comparison.

The psp is inferior to the ps2 system with a way smaller library while the ds is the ps2 of the handheld market. In my opinion I think people give the psp to much credit, unless your an rpg nut there is not much out there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:13:13 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:45 am »
although I do love playing the psp I just don't like how the games were made. they seemed to have used just about the cheapest glue ever when the bound the thing together and as such they are really prone to popping off the top plastic which makes the game/movie unreadable. sure that is more to do with the way people store it but I don't want to have to worry about people mistreating them by leaving them in the sun or something along those lines. where as the ds/3ds carts can still be played after being ran over by a car.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 03:57:11 pm »
I like the DS for almost all the reasons already listed. I've got a shelf full of them. At least one of just about every kind.

I got my PSP free from a friend a while back. I have like four games for it. I was getting out of gaming when they were getting popular so I don't have much nostalgia for it. I don't have much nostalgia for Playstation in general for that matter, but I will say as an adult gamer I find it is a nice, cheap way to get into some series that I'll probably never play or collect for otherwise.

It has the added bonus, depending on which model you get, of playing some of the games on the TV with component cables. FF Tactics comes to mind.

Oh, one last thing, the PSP is easily hacked for homebrew, so it has some really neat uses in that regard if your in to emulation. I've got mine outputting over USB so I can plug in to just about any PC and use it as a controller and play the PSP on the PC monitor.