Author Topic: Where do you get your retro games?  (Read 8800 times)

Re: Where do you get your retro games?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 04:49:24 pm »
Man I just went back to the store I mentioned a few posts up again today. They emailed a 10% off coupon so I figured maybe I'd find something...

Looked a little closer and they're charging $35 for a cart only copy of NES Mega Man 2 with a torn label. $30 for Bubble Bobble, the trend continued in their glass case of standard NES favorites.

I also have an extra copy of NES Double Dribble which I brought for trade, in case I did find something worth buying. Guy said he'd give me 25 cents for it. I went over and they had a copy in worse condition than mine priced at $10 on the shelf. Yikes.

They do get my props however for having a working Sunset Riders cabinet on the store floor! Probably the only reason I'll go back.

scott

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 06:52:24 pm »
I suppose it all comes down to overhead. The dude running a used game store has extra bills for rent, etc. Where the guys online only have to worry about net costs, ebay % and shipping. :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »
> jobocan
> Oh wow.... This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen....

So I remembered there was a small game store within a video store that had a few old games near here (basically the only store in my whole city with old games). So I decided to check it out after work. They have a Bally Astrocade with 7 games for 300$, which, by my calculation, is slightly too high, but that's not the ridiculous thing there.
So I see a fairly okay condition copy of Mega Man X on SNES, and the first thing that catches my eye is the big sticker on it that says "special collector discount: 15% off!!!!". The price? 99.99$... And you're telling me THAT'S after going 15% off?

Seems people around here, even game store owners, REALLY are morons when it comes to game pricing.

That reminds me of this one old couple at a flea market nearby. They were selling old SNES and N64 games for terrible prices. Ocarina of Time (gray cart) was $30!

jobocan

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:17:53 am »
> scott
> I suppose it all comes down to overhead. The dude running a used game store has extra bills for rent, etc. Where the guys online only have to worry about net costs, ebay % and shipping. :(

Even then, I don't exactly get that. In my mind at least, selling games at proper prices seems to be the best way to go if they want to cover those overhead prices, since pricing the games too high will make people not buy from them at all. So my basic logic is "More sales at lower prices > a lot less sells at higher prices". But maybe I'm just stupid :P

scott

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:35 am »
@jobocan That would make sense to me, actually. Lets open a game store, ha.

jobocan

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »
@scott

That would be awesome, and it's something I've been wanting to do for some time now, but I doubt it would work well around here... where I live, "gamers" are mostly people who play NHL/CoD/Halo and nothing else (unless they're parents buying wii shovelware for their kids).

scott

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »
There are a few used game stores around here. But I've always liked the idea of it, or a record store. ha

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:17 pm »
I really should try some charity shops and the like, but I never really get the urge to go in. Mostly I'm resigned to paying ebay prices and hoping to get a bit of luck with a bad spelling or something like that. (Worked very well for my Parasite "Evil" II game+guide I got)

Knowing a few friends who are ignorant to the value of some games is great too.

godnightshade

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:54 pm »
Most people who run retro game stores are very stupid. Their main goal is just to show off their collection. They don't want to sell anything. The price elasticity of demand for classic video games is very elastic at current prices. Making prices reasonable would lead to a more frequent turnover, which would lead to more money.

Disc Traders in Lansing is very reasonable when it comes to prices and they have a decent selection to boot.

scott

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:27 am »
I may need to make a trip that way soonish and see what they have on hand.

darko

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 11:12:24 am »
I have several stores close by (4 Vintage Stocks, 2 Game Xchanges, and a Play N Trade). I also use forums, ebay and CL. Most of the retail stores have a great selection and are semi-competitively priced if you take shipping charges into consideration for online purchases.

madmax

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »
Gamedeals. they have 2 locations in BC. I also use eBay alot.

jobocan

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »
How's Gamedeals? I always wanted to go but, you know, other side of the country and all... BUT they just announced that they started franchising in North America so maybe I'll be lucky and one will open up here :D

madmax

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »
it's actually really good. Prices are somewhat competitive to Ebay. I picked up a genesis for $20. FFIV for Wonderswan for another $20. With shipping, they would be the same or more online.

They have good selection, obviously loose carts (Nes, SNES, Genesis) are a little more than they should be and bundle deals on ebay are better but if you're looking for something specific, they'll have it at a decent price.

madmax

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 03:36:56 am »
*sigh* I told myself I wouldn't go back to gamedeals in a long time. I'm going back tomorrow (ill be in the area) and I went last week...I was thinking along the lines of a month when I said I wouldn't go back. now gotta be strong and not spend much.

I found a store near vancouver. It's also in New West Minster. It's called Press Start. They have awesome deals, super cheap prices and game night :D