Author Topic: Character limit reached on Item name field  (Read 2960 times)

tripredacus

Character limit reached on Item name field
« on: September 05, 2018, 11:45:15 am »
It had to happen eventually. A Playstation 3 game released in Japan has a name too long to be entered into the name field.

This is OK: Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Suujikugun Tai Rengougun Zensekaisen
https://vgcollect.com/item/149511

However, there is a Limited Edition, but it won't fit! It goes to:
Daisenryaku: Dai Toua Kouboushi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Suujikugun Tai Rengougun Zensekaisen - Limited Editi

So two characters too long in this name. :)

rayne315

Re: Character limit reached on Item name field
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:21:05 pm »
ouch that is a 120 character limit. that title is really long! Congrats!
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:41 pm »
jesus christ

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:56:37 pm »
Damn... I figured it capped at 75 or something
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:31 am »
It may not be a final solution for the problem of the limited number of characters on the title, but why don’t you try writing Daisenryaku: Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Sūjikugun Tai Rengōgun Zensekaisen - Limited Edition?
It is a valid romanization of the game’s title and will save you some characters.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 06:03:52 am »
Is there really that many video games released in Japan that they needed such a long title?  ::)

that could also be a lot shorter if the text was written in Japanese I'm guessing  ???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:06:16 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:59:38 am »
You could use LE  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
It may not be a final solution for the problem of the limited number of characters on the title, but why don’t you try writing Daisenryaku: Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3: Dai-ni-ji Sekai Taisen Boppatsu! Sūjikugun Tai Rengōgun Zensekaisen - Limited Edition?
It is a valid romanization of the game’s title and will save you some characters.

We have two problems already.
1. The Style Guide was updated to use the "common" name for items per a list of sites, which (currently for this argument) exist for GameFAQs and Mobygames. This particular game is not on mobygames, and the name I used in the existing entry and in this thread is the name from GameFAQs.

2. The Style Guide specifically says to use a transliteration, not a romanization, nor do we specify which specific romanization methods to use for any language. By far, we know that the most common was to romanize Japanese is to use the Hepburn method... But besides that, since the guide specifically uses the term transliteration it should invalidate the use of "sound letters" such as ō, etc.

This is why Dai Tōa Kōbōshi 3 would not be valid, as by definition, transliteration does not include pronunciation hints because that is transcription. This is why we would use the "ou" instead of ō in any item titles in the database. And non-Japanese users should be aware that when using Google Translate, Google will show the "transcription" below entered Japanese text and not a transliteration or romanization.

Anyways, this thread isn't about how we should be translating titles or abbreviating things, instead it is a bug report.

PS: for clarity, my current source for adding this game in the first place uses this title:
DAISENRYAKU DAITOUAKOUBOUSHI3 DAI-2-JI SEKAITAISENBOKPATSU SUJIKUGUNTAIRENGOUGUN ZENSEKAISEN [LIMITED EDITION]

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 10:21:48 am »
You could use LE  ;)

I think I will use Genteiban. Unlike some other LEs for PS3 that I've seen so far, this one doesn't seem to have the English printed on the box.

EDIT: it just fits.  :)
https://vgcollect.com/item/149600
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:31:04 am by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 10:34:49 am »
Found another one. This DS game has a name from somewhere
Motto Nou Wo Kitaeru
https://vgcollect.com/item/118060

The Japanese name you can see in alt-name
東北大学未来科学技術共同研究センター 川島隆太教授監修 もっと脳を鍛える大人のDSトレーニング
which is on Mobygames. The GameFAQs name is:
Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training
English translation:
Tohoku University Future Science and Technology Joint Research Center Supervised by Professor Ryuta Kawashima DS training for adults to train their brains more

Which doesn't fit. The US title is Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day

Would Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training be enough of a name to put on this entry?

pzeke

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 11:30:27 am »
Seems reasonable to me. Given the ridiculous length of the title, using the subtitle seems like a good compromise. The original name could be included in the description box in full.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dhaabi

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 01:54:43 pm »
I found an item whose name exceeds the entry name character limit. The full title is Hisshou Pachinko Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series Vol. 5: CR Shinseiki Evangelion 2nd Impact & Pachi-Slot Shinseiki Evangelion which exceeds the limit by two characters. Currently, the entry's name is incorrect and is the title of another item.

GameFAQs erroneously misspells "Kouryaku" as "Kouryoku," so, once that error has been amended, would Hisshou Pachinko Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series Vol. 5 suffice? The subtitle can then be added as part of the Alt-Name field.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:56:43 pm by dhaabi »

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 09:50:36 am »
would Hisshou Pachinko Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series Vol. 5 suffice? The subtitle can then be added as part of the Alt-Name field.[/font]

It would be a good compromise.

dhaabi

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 02:21:52 pm »
221958 is another item whose title I've already abbreviated:

Full localized name: 小柄で爆乳な妹にガマンできない兄 ヤキモチやきな義妹は、いつでもどこでも発情中 UMD-PG Edition
Full romanized name: Kogarade Bakunyuuna Imouto ni Gamanadekinai Ani Yakimochi Yakina Gimai wa, Itsu Demo Doko Demo Hatsujou-chuu UMD-PG Edition

I've abbreviated the entry name to omit the UMD-PG Edition portion of the title. So, the full entry name is now Kogarade Bakunyuuna Imouto ni Gamanadekinai Ani Yakimochi Yakina Gimai wa, Itsu Demo Doko Demo Hatsujou-chuu. UMD-PG Edition has been added as part of the Alt-Name field.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 02:24:10 pm by dhaabi »

jason

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 10:03:13 pm »
*eyes* Looking to revisit this myself.