Author Topic: Video game name frustration. (Rant)  (Read 2111 times)

Video game name frustration. (Rant)
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:08:57 pm »
Hello everyone :)

One thing that has struck me about games lately is that developers seem to have this unexplained amnesia. I think I may have touched on this before but not In some time and not in depth but lately it's just impossible to ignore.  I wanted to see if anyone else ever wondered about this phenomenon and why it occurs and has been annoyed by trying to categorize or figure the mess out weather conversing about games or collecting them in general.

Here is a pretty large culprit of many things but naming their games is yet another fumble from EA as a whole.

Need for speed most wanted 2012 2005

Why god. The OCD gods poke us with their flaming rods.  We beg for the answers as to why.  We cry and we beg.  How did this blunder get past Quality Control,  PR, the executives, the board rooms?  Their was already a Need for Speed most wanted just 7 years prior.  Would it have killed them to put a 2?  Just one 2, it's all we ask.  Nobody cares if devs changed.  Devs change all the time.  It's still the second one of that namesake. Would it have sunken the whole ship?   I thought this was the only instance i'd be seeing once every so often.  I passed it off as an annoying mishap.  It's just an anomaly.   

I was so, so wrong :(.   

First you go 25 years naming your games based on the year of the season in which it comes out.  Now and only now you decide to name the game after how many years the franchise has been out? Although during Madden 09 you didn't name it Madden 20? So what happens when the year 2025 comes and Madden comes out?  Exactly,  2 madden 25s.  It chronilogically ruins a shelf.  It makes absolutely zero sense. 25 is well after 19 although 19 is the newest one.  Why EA.  why can't you just put 25th anniversary on the package like everyone else does.  :(    How much bugar sugar does it require to just pass this off as a good idea?

Spiderman....4?

I do love the PS1 version, sadly now when you mention spiderman, people will just poke their heads out yelling how great the new one is and everyone will be talking about PS4 edition this, and red ps4 that and the old one might as well never have been made.

Xbox (one?)

Xbox 360????

Xbox...... ONE!!!

Sony has the right idea. PS1,PS2,PS3, PS4.  Even their controller has stood mostly the same in shape and format.  If something is broke don't fix it.  You know it's most likely going to be the PS5.  Not the playstation iguana,  the playstation virgo project and then you get the thing and it's called the PS2 but PS2 already exists they say but PS2 has 2 fans in it so it had to be the PS2.   But it's the PS5.    My mind is melting.  I care about you Lindsay Lohan, I care about your well being. 

Their are companies that get it right for the most part, One I notice consistently having somewhat common sense with their names is Square.  It's not final fantasy,  it's final fantasy X, or X-2 or XII. Final Fantasy Chronicles.  Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.  Not just tomb raider.  Rise of the tomb raider,  Shadow of the tomb raider.  Whoever looks things over at Square clearly is awake lol

Nintendo also for the most part fits this narrative.  Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2,  Pokken Tournament DX even though it's almost the same game.  Pikmin 1, 2, 3.   They released a game called Yoshi but have now changed it to Yoshi's crafted world.   Someone at PR probably realized, wow, we have a Yoshi already for NES.  Maybe we can be creative.

Does anyone else wonder why this happens so much especially in this current gen of games.  Why have companies started to just laze out on the names.  Or even just copy names from old games.  It truly ruins shelfing certain franchises of games in a collection.  If you go chronilogically you'd have Madden 13,25,15?   What does one do if he wants to talk to his friend about how amazing god of war is. 

I love god of war man, it's such an epic game.   "Yeah dude, It looks pretty epic in 4k"   Really how'd you get your PS2 to run 4k, that's cool man.   "PS2?"   Yes,  OG old school god of war.  Not god of war 4.   God of war 4 is god of war 4.  It should have been called god of war 4.  It would have sold even more units had it been called 4 for the fact of being called 4.  I feel like naming my first born child Godda Warr IV.   

Does anyone else find this an annoying trend?  Thanks for sharing :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:19:31 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

Re: Video game name frustration. (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:32:18 pm »
PARTIAL QUOTE FROM MARVELVSCAPCOM2

Does anyone else wonder why this happens so much especially in this current gen of games.  Why have companies started to just laze out on the names.  Or even just copy names from old games. It truly ruins shelfing certain franchises of games in a collection.  If you go chronilogically you'd have Madden 13,25,15?   What does one do if he wants to talk to his friend about how amazing god of war is. 

I love god of war man, it's such an epic game.   "Yeah dude, It looks pretty epic in 4k"   Really how'd you get your PS2 to run 4k, that's cool man.   "PS2?"   Yes,  OG old school god of war.  Not god of war 4.   God of war 4 is god of war 4.  It should have been called god of war 4.  It would have sold even more units had it been called 4 for the fact of being called 4.  I feel like naming my first born child Godda Warr IV.   

Does anyone else find this an annoying trend?  Thanks for sharing :).

OLDGAMERZ REPLY

I can answer part of the rant at least :)

There is a TON of video games and just like modern day movies. There is SO many of them out then with their name already taken. With copyright laws in place every, or at least most video games need a unique title or of it will have conflict/confusion with other games titles. Although I don't know why Microsoft called their Xbox 3 an Xbox One. Because that may indeed confuse anyone in the future from remembering which Xbox came first. Madden 25 LOL right now this post is made on September 14 2018. And I never thought EA would stop using the years of the season.

Why did EA do that? is there a SNES or NES sports game we never heard of called Madden 18? or Madden 19? (edit) oh they did make  A Madden NFL 18 and 19

I mean EA even made an NHL 2005 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox but in real life the National Hockey League was shutdown on that year 2004/2005 season
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:41:06 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »
I mean... film has been doing this a lot longer.

Flashback2012

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:26:06 pm »
One of the reasons it's the XBOX 360 and not the XBOX 2 is because Sony had the PlayStation 3 in the pipeline and Microsoft felt that people wouldn't think it'd be as powerful since it had a lower number or something to that effect. I certainly believe they knew what was up because Hardee's/Carl's Jr had a 1/3 lb. burger that didn't fare well against McDonald's Quarter Pounder even though 1/3 is larger than 1/4.  :P

As for Spider-Man, the PS1/PS4 names isn't even the first time they've had this issue. There's the Sega made Spider-Man for Genesis/MD from 1991 and then the same-named game showed up about 4 years later published by Acclaim.  ???

ferraroso

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:23:32 am »
I agree absolutely!

I hate when they do this in games and movies alike.

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:46:28 pm »
Coming in 2020...

F I N A L   F A N T A S Y

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:18:01 pm »
Coming in 2020...

F I N A L   F A N T A S Y

I'd still buy it.

hexag0n

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:59:39 pm »
Many a night I lay awake pondering what Microsoft will name the next Xbox.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:26:50 pm »
Many a night I lay awake pondering what Microsoft will name the next Xbox.

Maybe you just did- I could see them calling it the Xbox Next.

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:10 pm »

Blame it on George?