Author Topic: Any game store recommendations in Denver?  (Read 1961 times)

Any game store recommendations in Denver?
« on: September 20, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
Taking a trip to Denver next week and wanted to see if anyone knows of any must visit game stores in the area.

Re: Any game store recommendations in Denver?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:02:27 pm »
I'm a Denver native and am incredibly familiar with nearly every game store in the state. Here's a rundown of all the game stores in the area and a few more if you feel like taking a bit of a drive:

Doc's Games: Docs is a chain of 4 stores that has a pretty infamous reputation for being very overpriced. Their priced have come back down to earth a little in recent years, but they are still on the high side. Their selection is decent at their Smoky Hill and Illiff stores, but the others are okay last I saw. I'd say go there if you have some extra time, but only then.

Game Force Aurora: If you want to talk overpriced games, it doesn't get much worse than this. They are a very long running franchise here in Colorado and they used to be awesome, however I think the store is doing pretty bad so expect to see some ridiculous prices if you go there. Their selection is decent and Jim, the guy who is generally working there is really friendly. I just can't get past their prices which deter me from buying anything there 98% of the time I go there.

Level 7 Games: They have 3 locations in the Denver area, and their selection is very good, and their prices are mostly fair. The owner Jon is a super cool guy and has hooked me up numerous times. Definitely check their stores out.

Gamezone: Do not go there! It's by far the worst game store I've ever been too. Extremely overpriced, below average selection, and just a crap store all around. I'm astounded they are still in business.

Buy Back Games: They recently downsized their franchise to just two stores, down from about 6, but their Wadsworth store is the one to go to. They have a pretty large inventory of mostly newer games from the PS2/Gamecube and newer. They do carry retro stuff as well, just not as much as they used to. Their prices are kind of all over the place with some stuff being very overpriced and other times they significantly under price games, like a fraction of ebay. The latter deals are what keep me coming back. I'd definitely go there just to see if you can find a good deal there, I often do.

Game Force Boulder: This game store has the best selection of games in the entire metro Denver area and their prices are mostly fair. They have a ton of retro, newer, imports, merchandise, and pretty much anything else you can think of. They are definitely a shop that is geared towards the hardcore crowd and as I said their prices are usually fair. I'd definitely check them out.

These next stores are a bit of a drive, but if you are down for it, I'd recommend a few of them:

Gamesource (Colorado Springs): They sadly used to have a store in the Denver area that unfortunately closed due to outlandish rent prices around here, but luckily their CO Springs store is still around if you're willing to drive about 60-miles south of Denver. They are my favorite game store in the state, mostly due to their prices which are excellent across the board. The owner Steve is one of the nicest guys ever and I can't count the amount of times he has hooked me up over the years. 75% of their prices are below ebay, some significantly so, and their selection is above average typically. I'd highly, highly recommend the drive to Gamesource; I live about 50-miles from them and still go there about once every other month. They are an excellent store.

Game City (Monument): Located just north of CO Springs, they are a decent game store. Prices range from fair to high, and their selection is mostly good. Some people love them, but I've always thought they were okay. Luckily they are on the way to Gamesource if you decide to go down there, in which case I'd swing by there and check them out.

The Game Store (Colorado Springs): About the most generic name for a game store, and there selection and prices are fairly underwhelming as well. I've never bought anything from them ever, mostly because they are a bit to high in price on most stuff. Still, to make your trip more worth while you can check them out if you really want to.

Video Game Exchange (Colorado Springs): I'm not a fan of this store either; prices are a bit too high, selection is decent however. I'd swing by there if you decide to take a day trip down to the Springs.

Game On (Colorado Springs): They are partially a tabletop card game shop as well, which is what they prioritize over their video game selection these days. Their selection isn't that great and their prices are on the high side as well. I'd definitely pass on this store.

Game Force Pueblo: I am simply listing this here because it is further south, but from Denver it's about 100-miles away, and definitely not worth it. Prices are fair, selection is okay, but unless you are going to be driving through Pueblo for some other reason I simply cannot recommend the drive to this store. Otherwise it's an okay store.

Now for the stores North of Denver.

Games A'Hoy (Loveland): Other than Game Force Boulder, both Games A'Hoy locations, both in Loveland (just south of Ft. Collins) have the best selection of games. Prices can be on the high side from time to time, but from what I've found they are mostly fair. They have an amazing selection of retro games, with many rare titles for all sorts of consoles. I go up there a few times a year and nearly every time I go there I blow at least $100. So much excellent stuff at both their stores.

Game Factor (Greeley): A am mostly not a fan of this store; they are mostly overpriced and the last time I went there the guy working there was a bit of a dick. I have caught them slippin a few times, including on one very rare game, but if you want to make your trip to Games A'hoy more worth it I guess check them out. Selection is decent at this store.

I think that covers most of the independent game store. In the Denver area we have three stores called 2nd and Charles which are like Books A' Million or Entertainmart if you've ever been to one of those, and I find deals there occasionally. Speaking of Entertainmart there is one in the Springs, but I can count the amount of gaming deals I've found there over the years on one hand; they pretty much suck. But all these stores have a pretty large selection of games, but prices are really all over the place. I'd still at least check out the 2nd and Charles stores while you're in Denver.

If I had to make a top 5 game stores list you should visit I'd say:

1. Gamesource (Colorado Springs)
2. Game Force Boulder
3. Games A'Hoy (Loveland)
4. Level 7 Games
5. Buy Back Games

And there you go, probably way more than you were expecting or wanting. Let me know if you have any other questions about the stores, the area, or whatever, I'd be happy to answer :)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:06:13 pm by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »
WOW Thanks for all the info!!!! We're going to be staying in the Five Points area sorta north of North Capitol Hill (at least thats what the airbnb map says lol). I don't know how much time I'll get to go to some of the areas outside of Denver, and will probably only have the chance to stop at one store; based on your list of the Denver stores, is Level 7 my best option? I really appreciate the time you put into your reply, thanks so much man!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:29:30 pm »
WOW Thanks for all the info!!!! We're going to be staying in the Five Points area sorta north of North Capitol Hill (at least thats what the airbnb map says lol). I don't know how much time I'll get to go to some of the areas outside of Denver, and will probably only have the chance to stop at one store; based on your list of the Denver stores, is Level 7 my best option? I really appreciate the time you put into your reply, thanks so much man!

You're welcome :)

If you have time just for one store I'd recommend Game Force Boulder. It's about 25-miles North-West from where you'll be staying, but it's very easy to get to. Just go north on I-25, merge onto highway 36 and take 36 to Baseline Rd which is in Boulder, and they're right next to the highway. They have an amazing selection. I think there is actually a youtube video that Game Sac or someone did where they visited there if you want to get a general idea of what it looks like.

But if you are looking to stay really close to where you're staying, then yes, Level 7 is where I'd recommend going. You're closest to their Alameda store which is my favorite, followed by their store off Kipling which is about 4 miles west of that. They also have a store a little further south off Federal which is pretty good too, but if you choose one I'd go to the Alameda store. It's in a pretty sketchy part of town, but don't let that deter you from going.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:48 pm »
Lol Im not too worried about going somewhere sketchy as long as its close. The wife isn't really a gamer and this is her vacation too so I get one stop, the longer it takes to get there the less time I'll have to shop!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:53:17 pm »
Hey I live in Colorado! Looks like bikingjahuty said everything. I actually live right by game city in monument Not too bad. I used to live by game force boulder and highly recommend it. I bought tons of stuff from them
If you get the chance, check out the Penny Arcade in Manitou Springs you wont be disappointed

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:28:01 pm »
I live in Colorado as well but don't often frequent traditional "game stores." I've got family in Monument and have visited Gamesource as well as a place called "Game City" probably five times. Never really found too much of note as generally, the prices are about the same as eBay. When I went to Saudi Aurora everyday I went to the Game Force there and occasionally I found some titles. I used to go to this place called Game Xplosion all the time in High School and a good chunk of my collection came from that place but it closed down when a Walmart and GameStop were opened up. I think the other Game Xplosion location is still open but I really have no idea.

Any more, I frequent the 2nd & Charles in Flatirons Crossing and since 2012 it's mostly the only brick and mortar place I purchase games (and movies) from, I've found a decent amount of titles for well below what I'd expect to pay on eBay. It's like Half Price Books from what I've heard.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:31:47 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

kashell

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:24:45 pm »
I was in Denver back in June and it was awesome. They had some great stores there, but I didn't know that they had that many!

I wish I knew you were there, bikingj. We could've perused the stores!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »
I live in Colorado as well but don't often frequent traditional "game stores." I've got family in Monument and have visited Gamesource as well as a place called "Game City" probably five times. Never really found too much of note as generally, the prices are about the same as eBay. When I went to Saudi Aurora everyday I went to the Game Force there and occasionally I found some titles. I used to go to this place called Game Xplosion all the time in High School and a good chunk of my collection came from that place but it closed down when a Walmart and GameStop were opened up. I think the other Game Xplosion location is still open but I really have no idea.

Any more, I frequent the 2nd & Charles in Flatirons Crossing and since 2012 it's mostly the only brick and mortar place I purchase games (and movies) from, I've found a decent amount of titles for well below what I'd expect to pay on eBay. It's like Half Price Books from what I've heard.

Game Xplosion went out a business a really long time ago, like back in 2012. I was living up near Boulder at the time when their store off 120th and Sheridan store went out of business. It was a nice little game store and I really liked the staff there. I actually found a PS2 game last weekend with an old price sticker from there and it brought back some good memories. I go to the Flatiron's 2nd and Charles pretty often as well, although the best store is the one off Arapahoe in Aurora. They get a lot of good stuff in.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 10:25:46 pm »
I was in Denver back in June and it was awesome. They had some great stores there, but I didn't know that they had that many!

That would have a been awesome! Yeah, it sounds awesome to play video game hunting tour guide lol

I have a long history with some of these stores and it's been both fun and heartbreaking in certain situations to be involved with them all these years. But yeah, we're lucky to have a lot of good shops in the area, both exclusive game stores and stores that happen to sell a lot of video games in addition to other things. It isn't nearly as awesome of a scene as it was several years ago, but it's still pretty nice for the most part. Hit me up if you're ever planning in coming back :)

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »

Game Xplosion went out a business a really long time ago, like back in 2012. I was living up near Boulder at the time when their store off 120th and Sheridan store went out of business. It was a nice little game store and I really liked the staff there. I actually found a PS2 game last weekend with an old price sticker from there and it brought back some good memories. I go to the Flatiron's 2nd and Charles pretty often as well, although the best store is the one off Arapahoe in Aurora. They get a lot of good stuff in.
That's the one I frequented man. I'd ride my bike there once a week during the school year probably as it's only like three miles away from my parents' house. 2012 sounds about right as that's when I finished High School and started working near Flatirons Crossing and discovered 2nd & Charles. Yeah, the staff were cool. Way back when, my older brothers were buddies with one of the guys who worked there (might've been before it was Game Xplosion even) he'd hook 'em up with stuff frequently but they lost most of it when they moved to Virginia and I was too young to care about it (this was 2008 I think). They easily had 70 or so Saturn games before they left Colorado that probably could have been mine for the price of just asking :-[.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:41:03 pm by aliensstudios »
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

kashell

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:01:10 am »

That would have a been awesome! Yeah, it sounds awesome to play video game hunting tour guide lol

I have a long history with some of these stores and it's been both fun and heartbreaking in certain situations to be involved with them all these years. But yeah, we're lucky to have a lot of good shops in the area, both exclusive game stores and stores that happen to sell a lot of video games in addition to other things. It isn't nearly as awesome of a scene as it was several years ago, but it's still pretty nice for the most part. Hit me up if you're ever planning in coming back :)

We had a blast. I've never seen so many bicycle repair/coffee shops in my life. One of my friends from GameFAQs served as tour guide for one of the days we were there and it was pretty rad. We didn't buy many games, but I did walk away with Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color and Lunar Legend - great souvenirs.

I will so hit you up next time we go; we'll definitely be back. It's an amazing city.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:04:49 pm »

We had a blast. I've never seen so many bicycle repair/coffee shops in my life. One of my friends from GameFAQs served as tour guide for one of the days we were there and it was pretty rad. We didn't buy many games, but I did walk away with Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color and Lunar Legend - great souvenirs.

I will so hit you up next time we go; we'll definitely be back. It's an amazing city.

Yeah, people here love their bikes, and coffee too lol. It's a cool place, but it's becoming unlivable with how expensive it has become and also it is easily three times more crowded here than it was less than 10-years ago. Colorado was like this great secret that only a few people knew about, and then because of pot becoming legal here it put a spotlight on how great the state was otherwise and everyone wanted to suddenly move here. I know at one time 50,000 new people were moving here a month, and it's still pretty high. Unless you are rich it's impossible to buy a house here; the houses in my area (i rent part of a house btw) experience aggressive bidding wars whenever one goes up for sale, and some have gone like 30k over asking, it's insanity. Rent used to be very reasonable in most areas, however that is ridiculous too now; I rented a really nice luxury apartment back in 2010 - 2012 for $900 a month, and that same apartment now rents for $1500 a month, it's ridiculous. Having lived here all my life it's very sad and irritating to see what the state has become, although I can't blame others wanting to move here despite the state's identity and charm starting to fade. But I digress lol

What stores did you go to and what was your experience like at them? I'm curious.

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 10:52:52 pm »
Looks like we’re renting a car and going to Colorado Springs on Thursday. So I’ll be hitting up Gamesource after all!! Wish me luck!

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 12:15:48 am »
Looks like we’re renting a car and going to Colorado Springs on Thursday. So I’ll be hitting up Gamesource after all!! Wish me luck!

Dude, you're in for a good time! I'm not sure when you plan on being here, but as of last weekend the store was a little picked over, but luckily they get a lot of new stock in, so if you'll be here in a month or so they should have more stuff in.