Author Topic: Bought an NES game with the wrong board in it...  (Read 1370 times)

Bought an NES game with the wrong board in it...
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »
I was recently in Denver on vacation and picked up a few games at a local shop. I've been home for a couple of weeks now and finally got around to doing my normal cleaning and testing before I add the games to my shelf; One game wouldn't load after my initial cleaning so I decided to crack it open to get it a deeper cleaning, inside... there was a color dreams board.... someone swapped out the board on me... feels bad. It was a cheap game too, its not even worth me getting in contact with the shop to do anything about it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qdgQee9

Re: Bought an NES game with the wrong board in it...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
Wow, someone on imgur hit me up and said they had an extra board for me, wasn't expecting that!

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:02:00 pm »
Wow, someone on imgur hit me up and said they had an extra board for me, wasn't expecting that!

If that was the person who gave you the link It looks anonymous, I would not trust that person. Unless I'm wrong and it's one of your trusted online acquaintances.  People who you do not know or at least PM your username and don't leave any details behind are dangerous in my opinion.

Anything can be hacked, anything can be used to pull a prank, I even heard stories on YouTube of people storing illegal drugs in NES cartridges
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:05:15 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:08:59 pm »

If that was the person who gave you the link It looks anonymous, I would not trust that person. Unless I'm wrong and it's one of your trusted online acquaintances.  People who you do not know or at least PM your username and don't leave any details behind are dangerous in my opinion.

Anything can be hacked, anything can be used to pull a prank, I even heard stories on YouTube of people storing illegal drugs in NES cartridges

It wasn't the person who sent the link. I talked with them for a bit and am fairly confident they are legit. Only information I've given him is my name and address, which is public information anyway. thanks for the heads up though!

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 09:11:39 pm »
Oh, the drug thing is real- I remember when that story broke. The drugs in question, after being examined by the police, were determined to have been there a number of years. Either somebody forgot their stash or a weird smuggling setup had a game shake loose.

Anyway- I'd contact the store. Not to get a refund or anything, but to tell them it happened so they can be more aware of board swaps in the future.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 09:13:32 pm »
Anyway- I'd contact the store. Not to get a refund or anything, but to tell them it happened so they can be more aware of board swaps in the future.

I'll give them a call and let them know.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 05:30:30 pm »
Now you just need to find a shell for Captain Comic

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »

Is that what that game is? I couldnt get it to load at all. gonna keep working on it and see what i can do though.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:07:24 am »

Is that what that game is? I couldnt get it to load at all. gonna keep working on it and see what i can do though.

I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. That was just googling the numbers on the ROM chips.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »
Why would anyone fake board a spy hunter? lol.    ;D    Isn't the real only reason in doing so is to sell a cheap board inside of an expensive shell? 

I'm sorry this happened. It really is horrible :(.  but I guess the blessing here is it was a Spy Hunter and not a 15-30 game like Kid Icarus or Zelda or something.  :)   

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »
Yea I really have no idea. I wasn’t too worried since it was a cheap game, but someone on imgur was kind enough to offer up their cart they no longer wanted so now I have a working copy!

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 11:07:42 pm »
Why would anyone fake board a spy hunter? lol.    ;D    Isn't the real only reason in doing so is to sell a cheap board inside of an expensive shell? 

Considering the board doesn't work, it's almost like some homebrewer/collector type slapped together his leftover bits to get something out of them.

Either that or it's some sort of terribly bizarre, but honest mistake. Can't imagine what though.

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:43 pm »
Well there are allot of people who actually open the carts and actually pull the boards out when cleaning them

Just imagine if the store had an entire lot of nes games wich came in say 50 pieces wich they wanted to clean, many cheap games at the same time a mistake could happen that way.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:45:18 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!