Author Topic: what shareware games did you play as a kid or teen  (Read 2936 times)

scott

Re: what shareware games did you play as a kid or teen
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 05:09:53 pm »
I totally forgot about Commander Keen!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 05:20:04 pm »
So it does sound like how I described. What a scam! Buy the first half of the game and then have to buy the second half after waiting for you to have it mailed to you.

It really wasn't too bad. The games were seriously a dollar or two, just the cost of the media it was delivered on. If the game was awful, you had the floppy, for sometimes less than new floppies cost at that time. Honestly isn't really much different from downloadable demos now, except that there was no way to connect and download the demos back then. They had to give you something physical to provide exposure to the project. Most shareware was made by someone who just was transmitting it themselves.

Think of it as if it's a new band getting started (pre-Internet). They sell their demo CD at their shows for $5, and it only has 5 songs on it. You are only getting half a CD, but you are getting something. A lot of times, these little games stood on their own, but the full version of the game provided more characters or levels. It wasn't really like demos we see online today, where it's timed or whatever.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:43 pm »
Heh I can see where you are coming from. But to me its like buying a car without the wheels and once you decide to drive the car, you have to call the shop and have the wheels delivered. :p

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
Heh I can see where you are coming from. But to me its like buying a car without the wheels and once you decide to drive the car, you have to call the shop and have the wheels delivered. :p

I think a more accurate car analogy would be you bought the car but can only drive it a certain distance from your home. If you liked driving it and wanted to go farther, you'd call the shop and they'd send you a bigger fuel tank.

jcalder8

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:00 am »
So it does sound like how I described. What a scam! Buy the first half of the game and then have to buy the second half after waiting for you to have it mailed to you.
Nowadays you by the game and then have to pay to unlock content that is already on the disc.

blipcs76

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 01:46:57 pm »
Scorched Earth <-- really fun.
Doom
Jazz Jackrabbit
Rise of the Triad
Halloween Harry
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 3D
Heretic

I'm sure they're plenty more, but I can't really think of them off the top of my head.

amauriel

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
Scorched Earth <-- really fun.
Doom
Jazz Jackrabbit
Rise of the Triad
Halloween Harry
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 3D
Heretic

I'm sure they're plenty more, but I can't really think of them off the top of my head.

I'd completely forgotten about Rise of the Triad. That one came in one of those 10 CD-ROM games for your computer packs when we got our first PC with a CD-ROM drive. Also in that same set were Jewels of the Oracle, Sam and Max: Hit The Road, and Day Of The Tentacle. Pretty amazing set for a freebie, now that I think about it...
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."