Author Topic: Pat the NES punk controversy. Thoughts on Pat's "gamers are entitled" remarks?  (Read 11642 times)

Hello everyone :)

To keep it short and to the point for those who aren't caught up on everything.

1. Diablo Immortal (mobile diablo) gets announced. Everyone rages about it because they didn't like it.
2. Pat the NES punk refers to those getting upset about it as cry babies and claims gamers are entitled.
3. PewDiePie (70 million subscribers) picks up the story, essentially giving Pat (250k subs) the ermac fatality. Just off his sheer fanbase scale.  Now all his fans are ravaging Pat's channel with dislikes and unsubs.
4.  Everyone hates Pat now.

To stem beyond that a lot of people don't like Pat to begin with,  they say he did his pawn stars thing and only went on there to flex his NWC gold and grey carts and that he is very mean to his friend Ian sometimes and really just jumps into topics he doesn't know much about to give half assed opinions and has a fake superficial personality. 

I however disagree with this and like Pat a lot and want to meet him at an expo soon.  I like Pat and I think Pat was also 100 percent right with his statement.  As a gamer I can admit I fall into this category sometimes.  I am 100 percent a whining, hard to please, entitled gamer sometimes as all gamers are I think.   We all tend to demand things of Devs without taking consideration intangibles or their feelings, we critique anything and everything we don't like way too harshly almost in a cult like way,  we are very over reactive as a community and very unaccepting of things that don't tailor fit our preferences.  Which can be frustrating at times.   

Where do you stand with Pat the NES punk?  Have you met him?  Do you like him? :D  Or do you not know who he is? 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:16:22 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

hexen

Pat has always been kind of a slimey hypocrite.

As long as no one is physical assulting him or harassing him, calling him out for his dumbass opinion on his channel or Twitter is fine. Any defense of Diablo Immortal is basically just willingly giving up consumer power, so calling it 'entitlement' is kind of moronic. So, I totally disagree with you, and you should well know if this happens to other things in other industries it is not called 'entitlement', but quality control.

Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Pat has always been kind of a slimey hypocrite.

As long as no one is physical assulting him or harassing him, calling him out for his dumbass opinion on his channel or Twitter is fine. Any defense of Diablo Immortal is basically just willingly giving up consumer power, so calling it 'entitlement' is kind of moronic. So, I totally disagree with you, and you should well know if this happens to other things in other industries it is not called 'entitlement', but quality control.

I never thought of it like that :).  As the quality control. I guess the gamers being up in arms and being so vocal has also saved us from a lot of thing.

1. Digital only   
2. Kinect always on watching you fap
3. Online Only games with no single player
4. Motion control dependency
5. No pandering

Although we are losing our grasp on so many of those, the constant fight keeps us in control.

I think Pat should have worded better looking back. 

sworddude

It had to be done as far as the booing goes, at least now they might avoid the mobile market since otherwise mobile gaming could be the main thing in the diablo franchise.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I don't pay attention to him much anymore since he mostly stopped doing his regular show as far as I can tell for awhile now.  Watched some of his podcast stuff and flea market stuff awhile back, but there were times where he didn't seem overly knowledgeable about the topics unless it's very retro related and his podcast is very off the cuff, so it's gonna usually lead to regular hot takes on things.  That said, he most likely doesn't deserve the shit he's getting, especially from a nasty mob like what PewDiePie is gonna be sending his way, but I'd probably not agree with Pat also, just going off the premise put out as I'm not gonna watch the video.

The uproar might be overblown, it usually is (Battlefield V is a good example of how fucked up it gets), but looking at the information, this was Blizzard just completely doing everything they could wrong.  This wasn't the audience that was waiting for some weak looking mobile game, the fans who paid to watch it at home didn't want that, this wasn't the game you ended the keynote on, they had both teased and downplayed Diablo being at the show, it only got worse afterwards when it was noticed that the developer for the game had previously made a mobile Diablo knockoff and was just re-skinning it and adding some extra stuff to make a Diablo game.  This was not something that serious fans wanted at all and this was reflected in the feedback.

There's not a single thing wrong with them making a mobile Diablo game, but as EA showed earlier this year with Command & Conquer: Rivals, not keeping your fanbase in mind with these things can go real bad. 

Pat needs to stay away from modern stuff or else he gets too swayed by whatever Ian says.

I 100% think gamers are overly entitled.  Other than sports culture (mainly NFL), the gaming fanatics are the worst, since they constantly cry about literally everything.  The Diablo news, PSOne Classic games list, loot crates, day 1 DLC, the XBox One launch, literally any kind of bombshell gets blown way out of proportion, and then gamers feel like they are owed something as if they have common stock with that particular video game company.  Think of literally any other hobby that you are into, now imagine :insert lead company: dropping a dud, can you imagine its fans reacting anywhere near as bad as gamers?

I have been playing games since the NES era, and have collected everything from NES all the way up to the current generation, and it is very embarrassing hearing grown adults reacting over something so insignificant in the grand scheme of their lives.

Just my .02

I unsubbed Pat a little over a year ago because of his obnoxious, smug, know it all attitude that permeated nearly every video he made. To be honest the only reason I stayed subbed for a while was because of the occasional Flea Market Madness video and I thought the Frank videos were entertaining. On that note, I HATE Ian! He is an obnoxious POS just like Pat and almost everything he says it just as annoying, if not more annoying than what Pat says. I guess the transition of his channel to more of a podcast really made me realize how much of a dick he was in real life and how many of his opinions are garbage.

So this controversy is essentially his comeuppance for his shitty attitude that many have been aware of for years. This isn't the first time he attacked gamers for not being happy about something while ironically half his podcast is complaining about various things that happen within the gaming and collecting world. He is a flat out hypocrite and this video is no different.

I completely understand the backlash towards Blizzard; mobile gaming is a casual, watered down experience and to reduce one of the most competitive, complex franchises to a mobile game is worthy of backlash and hate. The Diablo fanbase is experiencing what many others within the gaming community are seeing which is the rapid casualization and watering down of the gaming industry for the sake of making their games accessible to everyone via a mobile game. I have nothing wrong with mobile games, but when a game like Diablo is being made into one I truly believe that is something to get pissed about. It isn't entitlement, it's making your opinions known on how you feel about something and that you don't support it. I hate that mentality that as consumers you should bend over and accept whatever mediocre product is made available to you, and that you should just be "grateful." No, that's not how a consumer/business relationship works! My money is your life's blood and if I choose not to buy your shit than you go out of business! If anything, businesses should be grateful for your business, not release crap that they feel you're expected to buy no matter what. Pat is 100% wrong about this and I hope this experience makes him think twice before spewing stupid shit on his podcast and thinking there are no consequences for it. The viewers have spoken Pat, and think your channel is bullshit.

PARTIAL QUOTE FROM @MARVELVSCAPCOM2

Hello everyone :)

To keep it short and to the point for those who aren't caught up on everything.

1. Diablo Immortal (mobile diablo) gets announced. Everyone rages about it because they didn't like it.
2. Pat the NES punk refers to those getting upset about it as cry babies and claims gamers are entitled.
3. PewDiePie (70 million subscribers) picks up the story, essentially giving Pat (250k subs) the ermac fatality. Just off his sheer fanbase scale.  Now all his fans are ravaging Pat's channel with dislikes and unsubs.
4.  Everyone hates Pat now.

To stem beyond that a lot of people don't like Pat to begin with,  they say he did his pawn stars thing and only went on there to flex his NWC gold and grey carts and that he is very mean to his friend Ian sometimes and really just jumps into topics he doesn't know much about to give half assed opinions and has a fake superficial personality. 

OLDGAMERZ REPLY

I am not too sure what happened. But this looks like a classic case of the bigger guy "Pew Dew Pie" taking advantage of the smaller guy on the internet. of "Pat The NES Punk's" mistake. I don't watch much YouTube anymore or lately. BUT

But one thing you have to consider is sometimes being famous in the world today, does a lot of inflation to the average persons ego. It is vary easy to get a high ego and think you're God, when you're famous. but sometimes we all need to come back to reality and consider what made us famous, and that answer involves the people we're trying to impress. and the fact is if you say something blankly and with an inflated ego you could upset your fans. and you could end up back to where you started. I'd say, Consider where you once were before you were famous, and try to regroup and humble your ego. it happens to the best of us.

both were wrong in my own opinion
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:13:49 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

soera

In the immortal words of Phil Anselmo "Fuck em all". Pat and Pew are both garbage. I watched the Pawn Stars episode he was on the day it was aired. It was all over Nintendo age and I knew that he wasnt going to sell and he went on there just to get his name out there more. It was so staged and what not. Hes a self righteous ass who lost his way years ago.

Pewdiepie isnt even a gamer. Hes a loser that has a lot of bigger losers following him cause they dont know any better. Part of the reason Youtube is a cesspool is morons like him.

Are gamers entitled? Fuck yeah they are. Should we be? Fuck yeah we should be. Why should we settle for junk when we dont have to? Diablo Immortal is just a waste of time mobile game. Not really what Diablo fans were waiting for. Its a path a lot of the bigger game companies are going to. Blizzard, Bethesda, EA, Activision, etc ... all are turning into greedy ass corporations who are set to get the most money for the smallest amount of work releasing buggy ass games to the public essentially having the community as a whole be their beta testers.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:36:22 am by soera »

Flashback2012

In the immortal words of Phil Anselmo "Fuck em all". Pat and Pew are both garbage. I watched the Pawn Stars episode he was on the day it was aired. It was all over Nintendo age and I knew that he wasnt going to sell and he went on there just to get his name out there more. It was so staged and what not. Hes a self righteous ass who lost his way years ago.

Pewdiepie isnt even a gamer. Hes a loser that has a lot of bigger losers following him cause they dont know any better. Part of the reason Youtube is a cesspool is morons like him.

Are gamers entitled? Fuck yeah they are. Should we be? Fuck yeah we should be. Why should we settle for junk when we dont have to? Diablo Immortal is just a waste of time mobile game. Not really what Diablo fans were waiting for. Its a path a lot of the bigger game companies are going to. Blizzard, Bethesda, EA, Activision, etc ... all are turning into greedy ass corporations who are set to get the most money for the smallest amount of work releasing buggy ass games to the public essentially having the community as a whole be their beta testers.

I however disagree with this and like Pat a lot and want to meet him at an expo soon.  I like Pat and I think Pat was also 100 percent right with his statement.

Jesus Christ you really cannot be this imbecilic. I can understand wanting to remain positive and optimistic because you're starstruck but this guy has shown on more than one occasion that he's a twat and less than knowledgeable blowhard. Yet you're still captivated by him in this odd psuedo-Stockholm Syndrome-esque way.  ???

As a gamer I can admit I fall into this category sometimes.  I am 100 percent a whining, hard to please, entitled gamer sometimes as all gamers are I think.   We all tend to demand things of Devs without taking consideration intangibles or their feelings, we critique anything and everything we don't like way too harshly almost in a cult like way,  we are very over reactive as a community and very unaccepting of things that don't tailor fit our preferences.  Which can be frustrating at times.

Soera did a good job explaining it above but what both you and Pat both are missing in this ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE regarding Diablo Mobile is that Blizzard was teasing and hyping something big for Diablo fans with a lot speculating it would be a new expansion or even a new sequel. Instead they trot out this mobile game not even developed by them and expected the masses to buy in like doting sheep. Fans were hoodwinked and were rightly upset that Blizzard was finally succumbing to the Kotick-Creep that everyone was dreading since the merger of Activision and Blizzard.

Pat the Pretentious Twat was completely wrong about the whole Diablo thing and if you agree with him that doesn't speak very highly of your character. As for the whole being entitled thing, you're throwing out the baby with the bath water. It's growing tiresome that all of these companies want to view their customers as nothing more than revenue streams because they caught on to a scheme with loot boxes/DLC and greed set its hooks in. Why is it so unreasonable anymore for companies to just make a (complete) good product and not nickel/dime their customers over every little thing?

Agozer

Pat is fairly unknown to me, and I've never really watched or listened to any of his stuff.

Most of us have seen the horrible cesspool that mobile gaming has become, and has only itself to blame for its image. Sure, there are exceptions but they are far and few between and struggle to get noted because the cesspool is so vast and deep.

I understand that there are some gamers who are *very* passionate about a particular franchise or game, to the point that they vocally demand certain features, andd developers can no longer actually design a game in peace -- the so-called "toxic" fans with "toxic" entitlement. They demand that a game be exactly like they want it to be, or damn it all to hell. Harassment, accusations of SJWs, and what have you follows.

However, this Diablo Immortal fiasco showed that there are many ardent fans, not by any means toxic or toxicly entitled that trust one of their favorite developers to treat a franchise right. I think they have the right to voice their displeasure when the developer in question undermines that trust this flagrantly. ActiBlizz are obviously chasing profit margins and the bottom dollar instead of actually designing fun and engaging (engaging in the right way) video games. It's about monetizing a game in perpetutity, consequences be damned. Doesn't help that they teamed up with a company that made its fortunes with downright exploitative and predatory mobile "games" imaginable.

Having said that, the mobiles games market and attitudes toward it is markedly different in Asia vs. the West. Why ActiBlizz chose to reveal a mobile game aimed at the Asian market during BlizzCon in the US is beyond me.

Gamers are absolutely entitled, and get way too upset over things that are either unimportant, or not designed to make their specific subset of gamer happy.

However, I don't think the Diablo Immortal blowblack is unwarranted due to how it was presented. If this was announced at an E3, a PAX, a general nerdery event, the vitriol would be far too strong. But it wasn't- it was the Big Announcement of an event laser-focused to a hardcore PC crowd. As the article on the Escapist put it, this is like having Paramount tease a big reveal at a Star Trek convention, then dropping a Transformers trailer. Add to that the track record of PC stalwart titles constantly being dumbed down for consoles or ripped open for terrible mobile monetization, and you've got the perfect storm of misreading an audience- "thanks PC fans for paying money to come to our big infomercial! And now, the Grand Finale- we're taking one of your favorite franchises, having someone remake it for a completely different audience then you, and do a shitty job of it- and if the new market pays up, we're going to ignore you entirely! Aren't you excited?! Why aren't you clapping- don't you have phones?"

Yeah... there's a difference between whining over the lead character's genitals and being mad that you paid money to find out your favorite game company doesn't see you as a viable customer anymore. In this case, Entitle Away!

I however disagree with this and like Pat a lot and want to meet him at an expo soon.  I like Pat and I think Pat was also 100 percent right with his statement.

Jesus Christ you really cannot be this imbecilic. I can understand wanting to remain positive and optimistic because you're starstruck but this guy has shown on more than one occasion that he's a twat and less than knowledgeable blowhard. Yet you're still captivated by him in this odd psuedo-Stockholm Syndrome-esque way.  ???

As a gamer I can admit I fall into this category sometimes.  I am 100 percent a whining, hard to please, entitled gamer sometimes as all gamers are I think.   We all tend to demand things of Devs without taking consideration intangibles or their feelings, we critique anything and everything we don't like way too harshly almost in a cult like way,  we are very over reactive as a community and very unaccepting of things that don't tailor fit our preferences.  Which can be frustrating at times.

Soera did a good job explaining it above but what both you and Pat both are missing in this ONE ISOLATED INSTANCE regarding Diablo Mobile is that Blizzard was teasing and hyping something big for Diablo fans with a lot speculating it would be a new expansion or even a new sequel. Instead they trot out this mobile game not even developed by them and expected the masses to buy in like doting sheep. Fans were hoodwinked and were rightly upset that Blizzard was finally succumbing to the Kotick-Creep that everyone was dreading since the merger of Activision and Blizzard.

Pat the Pretentious Twat was completely wrong about the whole Diablo thing and if you agree with him that doesn't speak very highly of your character. As for the whole being entitled thing, you're throwing out the baby with the bath water. It's growing tiresome that all of these companies want to view their customers as nothing more than revenue streams because they caught on to a scheme with loot boxes/DLC and greed set its hooks in. Why is it so unreasonable anymore for companies to just make a (complete) good product and not nickel/dime their customers over every little thing?

I'm gonna level with you guys here.  I really don't know Pat good enough and probably shouldn't have taken his side blindly in the topic but was just basing off the little I heard.  Kinda like he does lol :).   I only liked him because I seen him on AVGN and AVGN liked him and James is essentially god so I trusted his judgement lol.   I know listened to many episodes of his podcast and find him to be a pandering narcissist.

I did want to add that I think his feud here with PewDiePie has a lot of history that I uncovered.  Turns out when PewDiePie was going through his many controversies, controversies in plural lol,  Pat the NES punk took the liberty to slander him on his podcast adding hot sauce to the wound.  So I guess that reveals why PewDiePie took the same route in undertaker suplexing him during his big controversy.   I guess people always find it easy to poke the big YouTubers when they are down, not realizing it could easily be reversed and they could kill your channel.  I only wanted to add because I didn't want people to think PewDiePie was a big bully just killing Pat for the sake of killing him.  Although I don't want to pate PewDiePie as some hero either :)

Gamers are absolutely entitled, and get way too upset over things that are either unimportant, or not designed to make their specific subset of gamer happy.

However, I don't think the Diablo Immortal blowblack is unwarranted due to how it was presented. If this was announced at an E3, a PAX, a general nerdery event, the vitriol would be far too strong.
All this.