Author Topic: Opinions on Custom Reproduction Game Cases?  (Read 3066 times)

gf78

Opinions on Custom Reproduction Game Cases?
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:00:43 am »
Just thought I would get opinions on custom reproduction game cases, particularly for pre-keep cases when Nintendo sold their games in cardboard boxes.

I've always thought Sega had one-uped Nintendo all the way back since the Master System with the hard cases. 9/10 times, you can find Sega games in their cases. Trying to find Nintendo games complete is much more difficult and in most cases, you end up paying 200% more for basically a piece of cardboard.

For my "better" classic titles (Zelda, Mario, DK, etc ) I've been ordering custom cases. They are sturdy, similar to the Genesis cases and the reproduction artwork that comes with them is high quality on a thicker photo-type paper. They really make my shelf look nice and they hold the game manuals as well.

Obviously this isn't as desirable as a "complete" game in the cardboard box, but a lot better than just a cart. Opinions?  Anyone else use these cases?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:09:10 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Opinions on Custom Reproduction Game Cases?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 09:39:07 am »
Those are nice, I would even buy them if I had a place to display my collection, I really like those a lot, My opinion is vary high of these. I didn't know anybody was selling these :)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:00:15 am »
I personally don't use them, as my space is at a premium so I don't have the room for non-original boxes of cartridge games- but I'm 100% OK with them. They're honestly a good, useful thing- they protect your carts, they give you a pretty & uniform way to display them, and for most system you'll never mistake them for legitmate covers. I'm glad they're an option.

gf78

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:12:31 am »
For the majority of my cartridge games that I dont have the box, I dont order a custom case. I only do it for the "big" titles like Mario, Metroid, Zelda, DK, Starfox, Smash Bros. & the like.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
I choose to forgo these simply because I like uniformity and if I chose to box all of my games, it would cost a pretty good amount, even if I printed the covers myself. For cartridge games, NES/SMS/Genesis/SNES/N64 I pretty much only collect loose games. I'll. admit though, those do look pretty excellent.

There's a YouTube user called NESComplex who made some videos about it, he's got a huge collection and he's boxed all of them. His collection looks great, but it probably costed him a pretty penny.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:07:46 pm »
I too have all lose cartridges in my collection, and if these game cases don't cost that much I would buy them for the games I own, because dirty games don't often run and some need to be cleaned again. But I would only buy those cases if I got a good deal on them, but if lets say they cost more than $5 a piece/single their not going to be worth it in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:11:30 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

azure

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:35:14 pm »
I don't mind them at all, they can really spruce up the looks of a collection. That being said I can't see myself ever using them. I prefer having the original boxes even if they tend to be less solid then the plastic universal cases.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »
When i first started collecting years ago, I dreamed of one day having all my loose carts in these custom cases... but as my collection started growing and my available space started shrinking i just kinda threw the idea out the window. In a perfect world, with unlimited space and money, sure I would love to have them; but i've come to the realization that its just not practical for me.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:05:17 pm »
The best...

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 02:42:09 pm »
If you have the space these are a great way to have something uniform and clean looking for display.  Also they provide some good protection from the elements.  It also helps the collector decide if they want to save money over buying CIB. 

gf78

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 05:29:34 pm »

gf78

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »
I too have all lose cartridges in my collection, and if these game cases don't cost that much I would buy them for the games I own, because dirty games don't often run and some need to be cleaned again. But I would only buy those cases if I got a good deal on them, but if lets say they cost more than $5 a piece/single their not going to be worth it in my opinion.

The seller I buy almost all of my cases from charges around $5.60 shipped for the case with artwork. He also does buy four, get one free. So it ends up being about $4.50 each that way. Like I sai, I only get them for my favorite games, such as those pictured. My general, run-of-the-mill titles are kept in a plastic storage tub in my bedroom closet which keeps them clean & dry.  ;D

soera

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 08:40:25 pm »
This thread is exactly why I prefer VGCollect to almost every other game collection forum. So many people in the world are so uptight about stuff like this. I love these cases. They are so much more appealing and longer lasting than cardboard.

If I had stuck with collecting Nintendo stuff, I had planned on going this route.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »
I like them and they got along famously with Mr. Brown.

kashell

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 03:26:17 pm »
I have two of them for my (only) two N64 games. I think they look great, and they're functional.

So, I definitely dig 'em.