Author Topic: What is the main focus of your collection if you have one?  (Read 4298 times)

gf78

What is the main focus of your collection if you have one?
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:24:40 pm »
Curious what you focus on mainly for your collections. A particular console?  A brand?  A series?

I've put my focus on Nintendo-published titles and related merchandise with the strongest focus on The Legend of Zelda. On the side, I buy pretty much any game by ID Software.

Next to Zelda, the "core" Nintendo franchise titles like Mario, Smash, Donkey Kong and Starfox among others are ones I actively watch out for. If I see a Nintendo-published game for cheap, I'll usually pick it up. I also wont snub my nose at a good non-Nintendo title if I can get a good deal on it. Such as Contra which is in my collection.

So, what's your focus?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: What is the main focus of your collection if you have one?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:50:59 pm »
Its a mix bag mostly. I have more games on Playstation brand than anything spanning the PS1-PS4, PSP, PSVita and what not. As for series, Im huge on Zelda so that has priority as well as Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil. Then the other side of that is games that I had when I was a kid which the most part I have now and games that I have wanted for a while which is still work in progress. I have alot of layers right now.

soera

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:04:02 pm »
My collection consists of the following - CIB SMS North American library (all games, console, accessories), CIB PS1 RPGs, Dragon Quest, sealed Freak series controllers, sealed Zelda Gamecube games, PS4 complete library (All games, consoles, controllers).

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:17:09 pm »
I'm focusing on North American SNES for now. My long term goal is to have a complete retail collection. After that I'll probably keep my collection to Nintendo systems. If I branch out from Nintendo, it'll probably be to recreate my childhood SMS collection, as it was the first console I ever owned.

wolfen

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 07:34:43 pm »
My collection has no real focus except for quality/favorites over quantity. So I'm just getting games I wanted as a kid but never got to play or games from series I've never played before.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 07:45:11 pm »
From a collecting perspective only:
1. Final Fantasy XII PS2 related
2. Borderlands series related
3. PS2/PS3/XBOX/XBOX 360 related

From a general perspective:
1. Something I'll play later on when I stop buying new games when it goes all digital
2. Something I've had before that I don't have currently

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:54:08 pm »
PS2

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 08:10:16 pm »
My focus rotates, at the moment, N64 full library (7 games away) and anything remotely interesting on PS2/360.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:29:16 pm »
I feel like my collecting focus has changed continuously ever since I began collecting. It started with Sega Saturn, then PS2, then retro Nintendo and Sega, then Dreamcast, and so on and so on. Currently my collecting focus is mainly NES, SNES, Genesis and Gamecube games on account of me selling a large chunk of these games a couple years ago; I'd like to obtain various titles I used to have as well as several I've never owned. Somewhat of a secondary focus for me is imports, mainly for the Sega Saturn, since there are so many excellent titles that we never got in North America. However, in a year from now my focus might be on something completely different, especially if I'm successful in rebuilding a good chunk of my collections from the consoles above.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:32:37 pm »
My collecting habitats change with time it used to be the nes and snes were my main focus. Then I switched to dreamcast and after that the xbox 360 now it's back to nintendo.Im focused on nes,snes,n64 and gamecube. Im almost finished I only need about 175 games to complete those four systems combined. (With the lions share belonging to the snes at about 100)

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 12:00:47 am »
simply put . Only things that are really meaningful to me or that i really want to play . for the retro stuff ,only for system that are nostalgic for me. For exemple at some point i started a sega genesis(megadrive) collection but i sold it all because it wasnt a system i really love at the end and i've never owned one when i was younger.... also i've never been interested in  full set .When i enter in my game room i want it to be very personal and close to me..  that being said, I completly respect the determination of those wanting to have everything , its just not my thing  :)

I love a lot of different series and genre of game . but one of my focus is survival horror. As for system i love collecting for , gamecube ,dreamcast, ps1, n64 , ps2, ps3, ps4 to ...name a few.
I'm really prood of my survival horror collection.

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 12:32:49 am »
My focus is to have games and systems that I’ve wanted as a child, but could never own (like Saturn and Neo Geo stuff) or games that were in some way meaningful to me (such as Master System and original PlayStation games).

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 01:24:52 am »
I've got two major focuses when it comes to my game collecting:

Xbox 360
Team Fortress 2 Unusuals

I want to acquire an entire NTSC 360 library. I've been chipping away at that bit by bit and have around 370 titles to go, It has slowed down a bit as I don't have a whole lot left outside of Kinect titles and the sports genre (my least favorite genre).
As for Team Fortress 2, I want to have the world's largest single effect collection. I'm currently sitting in 2nd place at 106 Green Confetti hats (1st place has 162 hats of a different effect). This one mainly grows on finds of opportunity as these items can be worth a pretty penny and can take a while to show up on the market.

Recently, I've been also building up my collection of PS4 games, both to get some exclusives and to make my PSN profile look as weebish as possible with my completions.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:03:26 am »
I collect items that I want to one day play. Or stuff that I played as a kid and just want to have. Or stuff that grabs my fancy. Or stuff that I was told I need to play and I haven't and they kind of look ok.

Of course, I don't look for any cardboard boxes anymore. I just want to get some plastic cases (when I have the cash... or they start shipping them from somewhere in Canada) with nice printed labels (I have a couple that I got with games I bought at conventions, so I want to match those). I still have some of the boxes from my gb/c/a games, but would gladly sell them or exchange them against some good plastic cases... :)

Of course, in 2019, I need to cut down how much I am allowing myself to spend on games, so I will need to be even more discerning! So more research! And backlog whittling we will go!

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:05:45 am »
Just buying games I know I will play.