Author Topic: What is the main focus of your collection if you have one?  (Read 4307 times)

Re: What is the main focus of your collection if you have one?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 04:05:31 am »
The Majority of my collecting focuses around PlayStation, which simply is my console of choice (Though I do own other consoles a 360, Wii, DS, 3DS even a Dreamcast). I just like to have a selection on my shelf that I can go back to and decide to play. Having a game on my shelf just settles that assurance that it will be available should that desire crop up to play a certain game. the truth is, like the majority of you my games spend most of their time sitting on their shelf but when that time comes and I decide to pull it off for use it's just nice to know I can pop the disc in and it's ready to play - Recently I've been playing through the Kingdom Hearts series and to have all the games bundled in to the PS4 Remix is a joy and a prime example of something become relevant to me need and readily available.

Beyond that I suppose the next best thing I would say I "collect" are Final Fantasy related items - Nothing excessive but I have plenty of Guides, Soundtracks, Figures, Artbooks & have even been to a Distant Worlds Orchestra concert (Got tickets to go this year too!). I'm not someone who is aiming for a complete collection or anything but I've got a decent gathering which I'd say is beyond the normal consumer and fan noteworthy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:12:45 am by vivigamer »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 03:57:22 pm »
NES without a doubt.
I have all but one. Damn you Stadium Events!

Other than that, it’s other Nintendo stuff with some SEGA sprinkled in.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 05:36:31 pm »
I collect just about anything gaming related I can find. Good game, bad game, makes no difference. My friends and I do a variety of game nights and we can have fun with pretty much any bad game. Sometimes a game is fun on its own, other times it's fun to make fun of it, we find a way.

I also plan to open a video game museum someday if the opportunity should present itself. Pretty much everything will be on display and available for play.

Personally, I tend to get more excited about items I find that you just don't see. Love finding obscure and lesser known items out there like TurboGrafx or 3DO or even the stupid rare stuff like the Apple Pippin. Just about the only thing I don't really go for is the sports titles, but if it's only $1 or 2 I may pick it up just to avoid ending up paying more in the future if I'm going for a full set. I will also buy sports titles if I already have the majority of them. My OCD goes nuts if I have 2k4, 2k5, 2k6 and 2k8 but not 2k7.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

kypherion

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 01:02:24 am »
Mine is a mess, but I'm going to start focusing on Zelda and Gamecube games, and eventually other 6th generation content.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 03:12:32 am »
PS1 is my main focus, but I enjoy collecting for all sorts of systems. 

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 09:07:49 am »
I don't really have a main focus to be honest. I collect things I want to play someday, not going for a complete collection of any system. I've been expanding my collection from just games to art books recently. But that goes mostly for my favorite games. But in the near future I want to get my hands on a Dreamcast.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 09:15:55 am »
I don't really have a main focus to be honest. I collect things I want to play someday, not going for a complete collection of any system. I've been expanding my collection from just games to art books recently. But that goes mostly for my favorite games. But in the near future I want to get my hands on a Dreamcast.

What are some of your favourite Artbooks? I enjoy looking at all the concept designs and seeing how the ideas were formed - My favourite is BradyGames - ' The Making of Final Fantasy IX' ... A little biased I know but it's a wonderful book which acts as a vacum in S-E's art department and flourishes with all sorts of sketches, NPC designs and background art, there aren't many FF artbooks like this sadly but I'm grateful there is one to my favourite game :)

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 09:47:33 am »

What are some of your favourite Artbooks? I enjoy looking at all the concept designs and seeing how the ideas were formed - My favourite is BradyGames - ' The Making of Final Fantasy IX' ... A little biased I know but it's a wonderful book which acts as a vacum in S-E's art department and flourishes with all sorts of sketches, NPC designs and background art, there aren't many FF artbooks like this sadly but I'm grateful there is one to my favourite game :)

Two that really sticks out from the rest I got is Dark Souls Design Works. It contains character sketches of monsters, npcs and all the main classes. Area artwork of both used and unused material and if not all then most of the weapons and armor in the game.

And then the "crown jewel" of my art book collection so far is The Art of Blizzard Entertainment. I'm a huge fanboy of Blizzards earlier work. It contains art from Blizzards 3 main titels, Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft. It's almost 400 pages thick with everything you can imagine. Even from games that never got to see the light of day. It even got some christmas drawings in the last section of the book.

Next paycheck I'm gonna get my hands on the Bloodborne book. All of the fantastic monsters they create over at From Software never cease to amaze. I'm a sucker for the more morose gothic themed artwork, not sure why tho. I would consider myself a cheerful kind of guy.  :P

kashell

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:21 pm »
I collect for "approved franchises." Basically, if there's a franchise that I like, then I try to purchase and play (and ultimately collect for) all the games in it. I'll double-dip here or there, like with Final Fantasy or Tales of, but usually I just try to limit myself to one version of a game as long as it fits in that franchise. Also, there are exceptions. Like, I don't have any desire to find Panzer Dragoon Orta even though I like the series. I'm just not an Xbox-er.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:42 pm »
Like others have said, I just buy games I want to play. And I look for bargains on them.

azure

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 01:44:39 pm »
I collect really whatever I think I would enjoy. My main focus had always been the Gamecube since it is my favorite system. I've reached that goal nearly though as I really only desire one more game for the system. Nowadays I don't focus on anything specific, just games that I think I would enjoy and keeping up with my favorite franchises.

I collect for "approved franchises." Basically, if there's a franchise that I like, then I try to purchase and play (and ultimately collect for) all the games in it. I'll double-dip here or there, like with Final Fantasy or Tales of, but usually I just try to limit myself to one version of a game as long as it fits in that franchise. Also, there are exceptions. Like, I don't have any desire to find Panzer Dragoon Orta even though I like the series. I'm just not an Xbox-er.
Kash you're missing out, Orta is fantastic!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 02:44:04 pm »
Yeah, Orta is amazing. You are definitely missing out. When you have those guys that believe video games should be considered an art form, this is the game that I think of.

kashell

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 02:57:33 pm »
Eh. If it were available anywhere but the original Xbox, I'd be down.

azure

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 12:43:31 am »

You can play it on 360/Xbone if that counts  :P

kashell

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 10:57:41 am »

You can play it on 360/Xbone if that counts  :P
Really? I was thinking about getting a 360 again since I want to play Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey.